Casemiro | Match Discussion Thread 2023/24

SuperRash

Brilliant first season for us, even though he was a little red card happy!

Be interesting to see if he can develop a partnership with Mount in central midfield. Him and Eriksen did well in stages last season but he needs legs around him for sure.

Sent off once in 7 seasons with Madrid. Comes to a physical league, gets two red cards in his first season. Go figure.

We are going to have to manage his minutes and can't run him into the ground again. He's just too valuable, and unless Amrabat comes in, we have no replacement even close to doing his job.

At his best brilliant, but like Varane gets cut too much slack when his head is not in the game which is one in three games at the minute, and likely to get worse, maybe injury related however(benefit being given)

He looked slow. Does he have the legs to compliment Mount and Fernandes? Hopefully just another slow start.

He played 51 matches last season. If we don’t bring in cover, he’s going to have more performances like this one.

He played 51 matches last season. If we don’t bring in cover, he’s going to have more performances like this one.

Yeah but you expect it when he's tired, not when he's fresh as a daisy. Said elsewhere EtH messed up with the minutes he gave certain players in pre-season, and in Casemiro's case yesterday it was obvious he had.

Seems to be a player who takes a bit of time to get going, was similar last season at the start and after his two bans it seemed to take him 2 or 3 games to find his legs. He's not quick off the mark but he's very good at sustaining a decent speed so he recovers in foot races rather than get out ahead early.

If we're going to play this new 4-3-3 style with just him holding we cannot give the ball away as much as we did better sides will absolutely murder us no player can cover that space on their own. Utd have to look after the ball much better when attacking.

The casual sloppy passes in attack that then require the team to sprint back 50 yards need to stop and last night the front 3 were all guilty of doing it.

we just can't seem to hang onto possession, I now city do it to death and its a bit boring, but we seem to have have no control of the game. It's all a bit wing it

Yep I think there are just to many players who don't look after the ball in that side.

AWB, Anthony, Garnacho, Rashford and Bruno are all guilty of giving the ball away cheaply that's half the team and it's why we turn the ball over a lot as a team.

I think Mainoo has been earmarked as playing a role this season to help out the midfield, shame he got injured pre-season.

We don’t have endless amounts of money, so I think we have bought wise this summer but we haven’t sold enough players yet to be able to bring in another midfielder.

Desperately needs help beside him in midfield, but still looked like the person most likely to score.

Whats the thoughts on Casemiro?

Looking a bit of a waste at 70m now isn't he? Rice and Caicedo much younger 30m more?

Casemiro, Fernandes and Mount are the top 3 players with dribbles past them so far.

I think he's world class we saw it enough times last season he was brilliant in a lot of games for us but those red cards really knocked him off his game. He seems to be a guy who needs a few games when he comes back to get back up to full speed.

I thought in the first two games he made some individual errors jumping in to try and win balls he could never win which meant he was dribbled around easily. However, it's quite clear that as a midfield the Casemiro/Mount/Bruno line up has not worked out how to provide the right balance but hopefully practise makes perfect. Those problems I think are exaggerated by our attackers being so sloppy in possession this season you can't take up pressing positions if you are going to give the ball away as much as we do as you leave huge gaps for opponents to attack.

I do have worries about his ability to play in this style of football neither Madrid or Brazil have been high pressing teams in the last decade they are solid sides setup for counter attacks, after Brentford last season ETH went back to a more counter attacking style to suit the players we have.

Also, we paid £60m with £10m of potential add ons. Caicedo and Rice have been purchased for close to double what we paid for him. If you saw Caicedo's debut you'd be wondering what the hell have they've just paid £115m for he was terrible.

I personally feel either of them would be a perfect partner for Casemiro I don't think the Mount experiment will work but I think we have to give it a bit of time to settle in.

Also, we paid £60m with £10m of potential add ons. Caicedo and Rice have been purchased for close to double what we paid for him. If you saw Caicedo's debut you'd be wondering what the hell have they've just paid £115m for he was terrible.
Double would be 140m

So it's about 30 - 40m more. Casemiro is 31 and looking it, those two are young.

Double would be 140m

So it's about 30 - 40m more. Casemiro is 31 and looking it, those two are young.

From memory most of the Rice and Caicedo fees are up front so it's £60m vs £100m/£105m from what I saw reported so as I said about double. I think splitting hairs on this point and ignoring everything else I said is just ignoring the points made about the players actual quality we know he came at a high price.

Also, your argument assumes Rice was for sale at the price he went for this summer and that he wanted to come to Utd, we had to act last summer and get the best player we could. If I was Rice unless Utd were offering obscene money (like Chelsea are with their 10 year contracts) at the start of last season I'd have been staying clear of Utd as annoying as it is joining Arsenal to me looks like a smart career move. They look like a stable club on the rise Utd with the uncertainty around the takeover do not.

As I said I don't think this was either/or we need both the standard of midfielders wasn't good enough and still isn't we needed a player like Casemiro but it was never going to be a 10 year fix it was a 2-3 year fix. We needed to follow that signing up with someone else in their early 20's to provide that energy that is clearly lacking from a 31 year old that signing I don't think has been made.

Utd may have found an in house solution with Mainoo he was getting all the plaudits in pre season he might be the answer but it's all a bit unknown and it's really annoying that he got injured before we could really see him in these early games.

I meant this season.

We should have kept De Gea, got Rice and Kane.

I meant this season.

Come on you can't be serious on that one, De Gea had to go. He was pretty much chucking them in his own net by the end of the season if he stayed and we'd got them two we still wouldn't be any closer to winning the league. Giving him another 3 year deal would have just moved the headache to next summer as no one would ever buy him off us he needed to go.

Would both of those players picked Utd over Arsenal/Bayern? I wouldn't be surprised if the reason we went for Mount early was we knew that players like Rice/Caicedo weren't interested in Utd so decided not to waste our time on them.

As for Kane I don't think Spurs sell to us.

yet we're still letting in goals, and still not scoring.

I think most fans thought De Gea would be ok for one more season. It wasn't as major as MF or F.

What we've now got is a keeper who is much better with ball at his feet, but everyone he passes to gives it away, and who is worse at shot stopping. The games I'm watching, he's still kicking long

I meant this season.

That was never going to happen with the budget we have. There was no way in a million years Kane would have been sold to us for anything less than a £100m.

Onana is going to be massive for us going forward.

Not sure about all this doom mongering so early into the season. Look where we were two games in last season!

Unfortunately the reality is that we could and possibly should have been the same as last season. We were fortunate against wolves. I still wonder how highly paid professionals can give the ball away so much. 81 times against wolves. Passing the ball to a teammate is a basic requirement in football.

I don't like all this doom mongering talk. It's like when say what you see you somehow are not a fan.

In my opinion, the little budget we have (I could go about the Glazers here) was spent badly.

We spent something like 190m this summer. Our main problem was midfield and forward. So we could have kept De Gea, yes we know he could be improved, but as not needy as elsewhere. In theory, that could have bought Rice and Kane. Or any two others.

We bought a GK who's actual goalkeeping doesn't seem an improvement, a midfielder we didn't need, and a raw unproven striker. Honestly, have you seen the type of player you were expecting to come, come through the door? have you seen any improvement on the pitch?

It's not doom mongering, it's being honest about our club, and discussing it.

We could sit here and say hey we look great, we're going to win the league. Everything looks great. But I prefer to not be blinkered and actually discuss the problems. And there seems to be many

yet we're still letting in goals, and still not scoring.

I think most fans thought De Gea would be ok for one more season. It wasn't as major as MF or F.

What we've now got is a keeper who is much better with ball at his feet, but everyone he passes to gives it away, and who is worse at shot stopping. The games I'm watching, he's still kicking long

We've let in 2 goals in 2 games the keeper couldn't really do anything about either I don't think De Gea saves either of them.

Up until March I was probably willing to let it go for another 12 months but his mistakes in the run in for me was enough to say enough is enough with him they have to make the change now.

De Gea last season was not a world class shot stopper he let in at least 3 pea rollers from outside the box in off the top of my head and his shot stopping I felt has been getting worse every season for the last 5 years.

Kicking long is still part of the game you can't play every pass short but what we should see is more accurate long kicks.

You mean his head dropped when the club treated one of best players over the last 10 years really shitty, weird eh!

Unfortunately the reality is that we could and possibly should have been the same as last season. We were fortunate against wolves. I still wonder how highly paid professionals can give the ball away so much. 81 times against wolves. Passing the ball to a teammate is a basic requirement in football.
Yep it really should have been two losses to start the season but luckily Wolves didn’t have their shooting boots.

We have been dreadful in the first two games - except for a period in that first half vs Spurs. The only way is up I guess!

You mean his head dropped when the club treated one of best players over the last 10 years really shitty, weird eh!

There was a reason the contract offer was pulled and it was his performances.

He made mistake after mistake and it eroded his confidence and the confidence of the players around him and eventually the manager, tough situation but that's elite level sport. If Utd had a better number 2 I'm convinced he'd have been dropped before the end of the season.

If he'd been more sensible with his wage demands no doubt in the first 6 months of last season he'd have secured a new contract, he over played his hand and the club called his bluff. There's a reason he still hasn't found a new club.

At the end of last season the major problem positions were GK, CM and CF the club have signed 1 player in each of those positions to try and fix them and it's far to early to judge if they've been a success.

As always though what they haven't done is solve the minor problems

hang on, you've already said Hojlund is one for the future, so that's not solved, Mount does not solve our MF problem, I cannot think of a less ideal player could have bought, and I don't see any improvement in the keeping.

So what actually has that 190m done. Do we look better?

There was a reason the contract offer was pulled and it was his performances.
Thats what THEY say, facts are, we didn't offer him a contract. Why wouldn't your head drop

hang on, you've already said Hojlund is one for the future, so that's not solved, Mount does not solve our MF problem, I cannot think of a less ideal player could have bought, and I don't see any improvement in the keeping.

Thats what THEY say, facts are, we didn't offer him a contract. Why wouldn't your head drop
You can’t really say we look worse though with Hojlund yet to play. Onana is clearly better than De Gea for the team on an all round level. He will make plenty of goals this season by his passing out from the back, the same couldn’t be said of De Gea. His shot stopping is also a little underrated because his ball playing skills are usually hyped up as his best trait.

Onana > De Gea
Mount > Fred
Hojlund > Ronaldo

That is certainly the hope those 3 players on paper are better options than the ones we had at the start of last season and all 3 should start most games. So that's what £190m gets you in the market and from the 3 players they've replaced got us £10m back for Fred the problem is the 2 who have left got us nothing.

Will it mean by May we're a better side than last May who knows the early signs are worrying but after 2 games last season we'd lost 2 conceded 6 and scored 1. This season we've got 3 points on the board with an unconvincing win and lost a close game to Spurs.

I don't think there's clear facts on the contract situation. De Gea claims offers were made then withdrawn he even claims he accepted an offer which was later withdrawn and reduced, Utd disputed that any contract was signed.

I actually think Fred was better at the role we need than Mount, De Gea is a better - actual keeping, from what we've seen so far, Hojlund unknown.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back