Casemiro | Match Discussion thread 2022/23

IDFD

I thought he was quite sloppy for the first 5 minutes after he came on but he probably didn't misplace a pass after that. Was one moment where he was in trouble and found Malacia out on the left wing. That's what none of our players have. All of them would have punted and conceded possession back to Leicester for another wave of attack.

Think we'll look a much better side than we do without him and whoever plays alongside him will look improved.

jsp

Yep it was a 6/10 performance he had a couple of sloppy passes where he didn't quite read the movement of the player he was passing to but there was also a few moment of really subtle class that you just aren't used to seeing in a Utd midfield player for a long time.

That is the main thing he looks to pass his way out rather than just hack clear you can see the quality hopefully we'll see him start at the weekend.

Cruella ne Ville

I’ve been underwhelmed by his play so far, and again v Arsenal. I know he’s settling in/getting used to a new league/teammates, but he’s given the ball away a few times now in bad spots and hasn’t shown the same control I was expecting from his Madrid days. Not overreacting, but it’s something to keep an eye on.

jsp

I think he will start next week needs a bit of time to get up to the speed of the league.

Was poor today a very sloppy bit of play nearly got us in serious trouble Maguire had to make a tactical foul to stop Jesus.

Sideshow Bob

Europa League: Manchester United 0-1 Real Sociedad - 7th September 2022

He’s enduring a slow start to his United career.

RVN

It was a mixed bag yesterday. He's taking a while to get accustomed to the pace of the league, which often lead to misplaced passes or being tackled. Some good passes between the lines though, and we need him to get up to speed quickly.

SuperRash

Got no worries about him going forward. It’s hard to acclimatise to a new league even for a world class player. You can see his quality in his passing at times, think once he’s up to speed he will be great for us.

jsp

Anyone else getting a bit concerned on this one?

All the other signings are basically straight in the team but this guy seems to be getting held back a bit I do wonder if this was a decision made by others not by ETH.

He did pre season with Madrid and is known for being a super professional player so you have to think fitness isn't a problem.

IDFD

He's shown glimpses but it hasn't been a brilliant start.

Assuming ETH isn't happy with something regarding his methods. But I have no doubt he'll be excellent. I think ETH knows him and Eriksen won't it's one or the other and at the moment he thinks Eriksen is getting what he needs out of him. The box to box midfield every of Fred of McT is required alongside one of them. Which is a shame.

Casemiro will have to start playing because we'll need his defensive excellence as the season goes on.

jsp

My concern is just related to age he's slowed down a little in his last few seasons in Madrid but that midfield they have could play blindfolded and still find each other.

Coming out of that settled system into a much faster more frantic league is tough so hopefully he gets up to speed on it soon and stays fit and we see more and more of him.

McT is only 1 game away from a ban in the league so his chance will probably come soon.

Cruella ne Ville

Mark me down as in the queue for a ticket on the worried express. He's being kept out of the starting XI by McTominay, and when he does come on, like he did yesterday, fails to impress. He gives the ball away too often (possibly a product of adapting to a new style of playing), but also gets caught in possession and gets turned easier than I was expecting.

I was expecting more of the Gandalf with the staff and the not passing.

jsp

I think after those opening 2 games ETH is going for an if it aint broke don't fix it approach if the team is getting results just ride that wave.

If we get to November and he still hasn't nailed down the starting spot I'll be worried.

October is crazy think there's 9 games in a month so the squad will have to be used.

I'd like to see him from the start more and hopefully see a really dominant performance in there from him because at the price we paid that is what we should expect to see.

Mr C

I had my doubts when we signed him. But I hope I'm wrong. It's a tough league to get used to. Eriksen knows the league don't forget so will settle quicker.
I see us playing both, I can't think Mctominay would keep either out if they are playing to their potential.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now