Carrick ruled out for the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Van Gaal rules Carrick out for the season - Official Manchester United Website

Louis van Gaal has confirmed to MUTV that Michael Carrick will not play again this season because his injury is worse than first thought.

"Carrick is not available, it was more heavy than we thought," van Gaal told MUTV. "We tried everything but now we have to think about next season. He shall not play anymore this season, it's better now to focus for him on next season and being fit to start.

"When you see the stats, it's clear that he's very important but that's also because we have only right-sided holding midfielder. That's what I am saying already in the whole of the season, that our selection is not balanced, and I want to restore that in the next transfer period. The life is not ending at 34, but for a professional football player, it's close by. That's why I have to handle again in that position."

Mentions the need for a right sided midfielder. Seems he wants to have more of a 4-2-3-1 than the 4-1-4-1 we've seen. I think I recall reading quotes from Van Gaal pre-United saying he prefers a 4-3-3 with the point in midfield forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back