Bruno Fernandes | Match Discussion Thread 2023/24

I think he was lucky to see the end of the game, I’d have happily had him off for Eriksen at 3-1 up.

How often do you see a Captain taken off if he's not injured? You don't is the answer.

How often do you see a Captain taken off if he's not injured? You don't is the answer.

True but even when he wasn't captain he was very rarely subbed.

I don't think the captain should be beyond being subbed if he's not playing well, not saying it needs to be a regular thing but last night was one of them where I think it could have happened.

It was an off night for him but to be fair to him his dead ball delivery was much better last night than it's been in recent games. Casemiro got on the end of 2 really good balls and he took the corner that McTominay scored from.

Though he had a bad game no one is going to put in the effort he does and that is the reason why he normally doesn't get subbed.

True but even when he wasn't captain he was very rarely subbed.

I don't think the captain should be beyond being subbed if he's not playing well, not saying it needs to be a regular thing but last night was one of them where I think it could have happened.

It was an off night for him but to be fair to him his dead ball delivery was much better last night than it's been in recent games. Casemiro got on the end of 2 really good balls and he took the corner that McTominay scored from.

Yeah because his fitness levels are off the chart, and even if he is having a quiet/poor game the Manager knows he can still smash one in from 25 yards or play a worldie of a pass at any second so if he is still keeping his shape you would be a fool to replace him.

Yeah because his fitness levels are off the chart, and even if he is having a quiet/poor game the Manager knows he can still smash one in from 25 yards or play a worldie of a pass at any second so if he is still keeping his shape you would be a fool to replace him.

I get all of that but last night the game had got very messy second half Bruno was well off his best if he’d pulled him with 10-15 to go and given Eriksen a chance to try and keep control and calm it down I wouldn’t have minded. These are rare occasions but last night was one where I really felt he needs taking off.

I get all of that but last night the game had got very messy second half Bruno was well off his best if he’d pulled him with 10-15 to go and given Eriksen a chance to try and keep control and calm it down I wouldn’t have minded. These are rare occasions but last night was one where I really felt he needs taking off.

The guy who is being paid the big bucks to make decisions obviously disagreed.

Anyho EtH was restricted on who he could take off as he knew most of the returnees wouldn't last the 90 minutes.

The guy who is being paid the big bucks to make decisions obviously disagreed.

Anyho EtH was restricted on who he could take off as he knew most of the returnees wouldn't last the 90 minutes.
Obviously he was upset because ETH said that the players should have known better to manage the game at that stage as we were already one goal to the good. It was Bruno who was waving his arms about to get players into the box.

Brilliant game today. He also does so much of defending and attacking thru the whole 90 plus minutes.

Very good yesterday.

Some of his first-touch passing is different gravy, guessing that's why most Managers persevere with him when he's not at his best.

Yep much better yesterday.

The threat of being subbed must have been the kick up the backside he needed!

Just heard that Bruno had 8 key passes v Aston Villa. That seems a lot. I can’t recall 8 key pass, thought he was poor in attack, but work rate and effort was very good.

Think he tied a record for number of chances created in a premier league game this season.

Just heard that Bruno had 8 key passes v Aston Villa. That seems a lot. I can’t recall 8 key pass, thought he was poor in attack, but work rate and effort was very good.
His defensive work was good yesterday. He needs to slow down a bit instead of trying the Hollywood pass all the time. Scholes was making the point about keeping possession for a while instead of trying to do too many things too quickly.

His defensive work was good yesterday. He needs to slow down a bit instead of trying the Hollywood pass all the time. Scholes was making the point about keeping possession for a while instead of trying to do too many things too quickly.
These people usually just moan either way - let's be honest. If we were playing a tika-taka style and losing they'd be yelling: "You've gotta move it faster." I never listen to them much, even if it is Paul Scholes. Great player, but what does he really know about tactics. Not a lot I bet. Gary Neville thought he had the knowledge too... ask Valencia if he was right.

If you ask me most managers regardless of formation and style want a mix of both, but only the greatest teams ever find that.

These people usually just moan either way - let's be honest. If we were playing a tika-taka style and losing they'd be yelling: "You've gotta move it faster." I never listen to them much, even if it is Paul Scholes. Great player, but what does he really know about tactics. Not a lot I bet. Gary Neville thought he had the knowledge too... ask Valencia if he was right.

If you ask me most managers regardless of formation and style want a mix of both, but only the greatest teams ever find that.
It is a world of difference in knowing tactics and coaching a team. These are players who have played under one of the greatest managers and I heard the same thing once from Tony Adams and Ian Wright talking about how to keep possession for a while just to calm things down instead of trying to be attacking all the time. It makes good sense.

It is a world of difference in knowing tactics and coaching a team. These are players who have played under one of the greatest managers and I heard the same thing once from Tony Adams and Ian Wright talking about how to keep possession for a while just to calm things down instead of trying to be attacking all the time. It makes good sense.
It is irrelevant if said team is incapable of playing that style. Our team right now is either not being asked to play this system, or it is completely horrific at it. Suggesting it as a fix has to be obsurd after what I've just told you.

I think you need to be able to play both ways one of the problems Utd have at the moment is controlling a game from a winning position.

The issue currently is all our forwards want the ball quickly as they need that space to exploit none of them really want to play possession football. You see in a lot of games bigger games City like to play Grealish ahead of the more direct wide man because they want that control of possession rather than the direct style of Doku.

I think a lot of the time Bruno, Casemiro and Eriksen are all told to be direct and fire balls into space for the forwards rather than look to retain possession.

I think you need to be able to play both ways one of the problems Utd have at the moment is controlling a game from a winning position.

The issue currently is all our forwards want the ball quickly as they need that space to exploit none of them really want to play possession football. You see in a lot of games bigger games City like to play Grealish ahead of the more direct wide man because they want that control of possession rather than the direct style of Doku.

I think a lot of the time Bruno, Casemiro and Eriksen are all told to be direct and fire balls into space for the forwards rather than look to retain possession.
Sure on the counter but look at how we have conceded also because we make mistakes in the middle or just in their half? The slow build up from defense is not the main issue. Once it gets to the midfield and then they try to make passes too quickly is the main problem. I think even ETH did mention this. One of the main reasons could be that neither Rashford nor Garnocaho likes to pass the ball to move it. It is simple logic that the less space you get the more difficult is to find space. So keeping possession and moving it about quickly would create more space.

Horrible performance. His decision making and execution was poor and his legs are starting to go. The decision to shoot from the corner with moments remaining was utterly thick. Still of the same thought, think the club should sell in the summer.

He is part of the reason why we do not retain possession and control games.

If Luton went down the other end after his brainless shot on goal in the last minutes, then I would strip him of the captaincy right there and then!

If Luton went down the other end after his brainless shot on goal in the last minutes, then I would strip him of the captaincy right there and then!
Schemichel just said something along those lines.

I think he's had a nightmare today. Bad at everything and clearly should of scored.

Schemichel just said something along those lines.

I think he's had a nightmare today. Bad at everything and clearly should of scored.
Remember ETH had said the same thing against Wolves. He is a good player but he is not going to let us take control of the midfield simply because cannot hold the ball.

Remember ETH had said the same thing against Wolves. He is a good player but he is not going to let us take control of the midfield simply because cannot hold the ball.
I think the best way to describe Bruno is that he is probably our best player in terms of footballing ability, but he's just not doing a lot in terms of consistency. Little bits of brilliance will only get you so far and I think it's starting to show.

His short passing and movement if not that off a top team player. Individually he is a great player especially his free kicks, his shooting and his long range passing. But in a midfield he needs to do more than that. A lot more.

Still of the same thought, think the club should sell in the summer.
If you want to progress as a club that wants to dominate possession and have an identity then I think they have to sell. He’s great to watch when he’s on form with the ability he has to do the unthinkable but he doesn’t play with control. And when he’s bad he’s really bad.

His performance was a disgrace yesterday. Just because he's captain shouldn't absolve him being subbed.

Had two great chances to bury the game and didn't take either of them, to be fair the first one was a good block by the defender but still you expect Bruno to finish those.

That shot in the last minute almost made my head explode that ball should never have gone into their box, just hold it in the corner as long as possible or boot it into the crowd and get back into shape.

He passed to nobody a few times too

I'm confused about the one on one, not sure if it was him or Garnacho, should have gone first time over the keeper.

Think Garnacho had that option but the keeper did well in the one vs ones.

Bruno beat the keeper but the defender got back and made a great block really he should have lifted it a bit to clear the sliding defender.

The one after was a worse miss I felt he intercepted the keepers clearance runs at goal and puts it wide, a player of his quality has to hit the target there.

The strain of being Captain getting too him?

Even when he's not at his best feel happier when he's in the team, saying that be tempted to rest him at the weekend to get his head right for the Forest match in 9 days time, and the City game 3 days later.

Possibly the armband, although he'd been in decline prior to that for me.

He shouldn't have been made captain, Garnacho 1vs1 he buggered up, when he crossed it eventually, Bruno was in the box flapping his arms around, when the ball was still in play.

There comes a point the manager needs to look at this team and make tough decisions. Clearly some of these players are good players, but it's not working and probably they need moving on. The team needs a bit of a reset. And in some cases it probably would help the player too.

Sometimes you need to move good players on. And get a fee to boot.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back