Beer Banned in World Cup Stadiums... Sort Of

jsp

So fans in the stands can't buy an alcoholic beverage but those in the corporate hospitality suites are allowed to consume alcohol.

Changing the rules 1 day before the tournament when many fans have already made the journey sort of sums it up really and it shows why those who are worried out how they might be treated have stayed away and don't feel safe.

FIFA won't be happy as they've got a huge deal with Budweiser to sell the beer in the grounds.

Maybe the Qatari's have realised this would cup has been a PR disaster for them, they aren't going to get anything out of it, so they might as well revert to type.

To be honest I don't think it's that big a deal that alcohol won't be served in the ground but it should apply to everyone in the ground if they want to make this change.

Pretty sure when I went to the euros in 2016 in the ground all the beer was zero alcohol it's quite common to help with crowd control just be open with it from the start. I doubt the lager lout type fan is going to travel to this world cup anyway given how bloody expensive it is.

Just think changing it at the last minute is a bad look.

I think they know as long as nothing serious happens during the world cup and it probably won't that all this negativity will just blow over. They will then focus on the next stage of their plan which is to build up tourism.

it's a problem for FIFA and the massive sponsor deal they had with Bud. It was agreed it would be sold at the grounds

Budweiser won't be taking a cut of the sale at the tills they pay FIFA for the license to sell in their venue then venue buys the product.

Budweiser will still have their brand name plastered all over the place and will have the FIFA logo to use on their own promotional stuff and any stock the venue doesn't use is their problem to deal with.

You can drink in the stadium, as long as you've got £19,000 to pay for a private box ...

Apparently you can also drink in the fan parks, which is not going to lead to any issues with lubed up fans trying to get into stadiums as matches kick off.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back