Bastian Schweinsteiger to Chicago Fire?

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I can this happening actually. With Carrick signed to a new deal I don't see there being space for another older less mobile guy in our midfield. I think Jose will move him on and as good as a player as he once was I really don't think we lose much.

It's a shame to say that because we were all so excited by the signing but it's just not worked out. He started off looking rather overweight and never really took a hold of our midfield. His best role was coming off the bench to either add direction or that calming head to see out a game.

Surely he's got to go over seas? Don't get me wrong I admire his desire if he wants to stay in the Prem and prove us wrong but I think the league is too quick for him now. He'd be best off going back to Germany or maybe taking big money in China or the US.

Yes USA or China. Hes too injury prone now. If we could of gotten him 6/7 years ago he probably would of been a legend now. Think fergie went for him around then but he turned us down, so we dont need to feel sorry for him leaving, as he only came here when Bayern no longer needed him, and for a big contract.

He just looks unfit, although you can tell he is still got that touch of class but he was off the pace last year. His injuries have taken their toll and there is no sign of them relenting. Like others have said, he'd be best going to have a last payday somewhere. Although wouldn't be surprised if he went back to Germany, although not sure if he would want to go anywhere but Bayern. I would hasten a guess he'll end up in the MLS.

He just looks unfit, although you can tell he is still got that touch of class but he was off the pace last year. His injuries have taken their toll and there is no sign of them relenting. Like others have said, he'd be best going to have a last payday somewhere. Although wouldn't be surprised if he went back to Germany, although not sure if he would want to go anywhere but Bayern. I would hasten a guess he'll end up in the MLS.

I think the MLS would be the best for him but I guess that depends on his ambition. Maybe he feels he still as more to offer at a higher level and so moving to America isn't what he wants right now?

I'm rather surprised by that as there really seems no place for him in this team?! He's behind Pogba, Fellaini, Carrick and Herrera in the midfield pecking order?

Its all about the money money money, as Jessie J would sing. hes 32 and knows his playing days are virtually over. He can come in, do an hour or so light training and got the rest of the day off, and who can blame him really, hes won everything in the game. Eventually he will negotiate a pay off at about 75-80% of his contract left, and probably be gone by the new year, or earlier.

Its all about the money money money, as Jessie J would sing. hes 32 and knows his playing days are virtually over. He can come in, do an hour or so light training and got the rest of the day off, and who can blame him really, hes won everything in the game. Eventually he will negotiate a pay off at about 75-80% of his contract left, and probably be gone by the new year, or earlier.

I'm not sure he's that kind of player though? He doesn't me as someone who's ready to just let his career wind down in quite that way... And given everything he's achieved in his career that really wouldn't be the way for a player like him to bow out.

To be honest if I'm Schweinsteiger I'm going to bang on Jose's door every day and get my agent ringing around clubs!

I'm not sure he's that kind of player though? He doesn't me as someone who's ready to just let his career wind down in quite that way... And given everything he's achieved in his career that really wouldn't be the way for a player like him to bow out.

To be honest if I'm Schweinsteiger I'm going to bang on Jose's door every day and get my agent ringing around clubs!
I would of thought so too, but according to reports he wont leave the club even though there have been offers, and has been told there is no way hes going to play here. This leads to 2 possibilities, he either doesnt fancy going to MLS, Turkey or France as he thinks hes still better than that, or as I mentioned hes taking the easy life. Cant think of any other reason. Bayern have said they dont want him back, and apart from PSG no other top club wants him anyway.

I would of thought so too, but according to reports he wont leave the club even though there have been offers, and has been told there is no way hes going to play here. This leads to 2 possibilities, he either doesnt fancy going to MLS, Turkey or France as he thinks hes still better than that, or as I mentioned hes taking the easy life. Cant think of any other reason. Bayern have said they dont want him back, and apart from PSG no other top club wants him anyway.

And do we even know that PSG want him? Or was that just a rumour as it seemed like a logical move for both parties. Seems like a funny situation all in all and I would still be surprised if he stays at the club... It makes no sense for him to stay here as he's been told he's not part of the plans. I know it's an easy life and I guess from that point maybe he would be best to just sit and stick his fingers up to the club?

I think he'll be gone before the end of the window, he's not over the hill yet although the best days are behind him. I wouldn't blame someone for wanting an easy life after a distinguished career and it's clear his body is not allowing him to play like we know he can. However, I don't think he's like that like Rich said, his wages maybe a stumbling block too for clubs. Can't blame Mourinho for not fancying him either, his performances last year were okay without being spectacular and you know an injury is just around the corner, so for continuity sake he is a risk.

And do we even know that PSG want him? Or was that just a rumour as it seemed like a logical move for both parties. Seems like a funny situation all in all and I would still be surprised if he stays at the club... It makes no sense for him to stay here as he's been told he's not part of the plans. I know it's an easy life and I guess from that point maybe he would be best to just sit and stick his fingers up to the club?
Well of course I am only quoting the press, but it looks like Rojo as well, turned down the opportunity to move on.

I think he'll be gone before the end of the window, he's not over the hill yet although the best days are behind him. I wouldn't blame someone for wanting an easy life after a distinguished career and it's clear his body is not allowing him to play like we know he can. However, I don't think he's like that like Rich said, his wages maybe a stumbling block too for clubs. Can't blame Mourinho for not fancying him either, his performances last year were okay without being spectacular and you know an injury is just around the corner, so for continuity sake he is a risk.
Agree. You know if he played he would slow the side down then be injured for months again. Another bad LVG decision

Fair play to him and this will just go against Jose more with some of the fans... What a complete professional!

Apparently he can't go to the MLS though or China because both of their windows have closed already...

Well its his choice. He must be comfortable to sit doing nothing apart from train for up to 2 years. I think he may leave for America in January, as their season starts then, and maybe get a 50-60% payoff from Utd for the rest of his contract. Jose is in his right to pick and choose which players he wants in his squad. At this stage of his career, Basti is nowhere near good enough to command a place in front of Pogba Fellaini or Herrera in midfield, and probably on a par with Carrick, who imo has been kept as a bridge this season between the fergie era and Joses new era.

I've got to give credit to both here... Fair play to Schweinsteiger for saying he does not want to go to any other European team. But also fair play to Jose for sticking to his guns despite pressure from the media and some fans.

Bastian doesn't fit in to his plans and to be fair I can see why. He's a good player but he isn't dynamic enough so who do you pull out to play him?! I guess the only thing he could offer is experience and killing a game but Carrick can do that.

Exactly. I would sooner give Schneiderlin time as surely its Carricks last season, and i think Schweiny will move to MLS in the new year when their season starts.

For me Schneiderlin has been hard done by in his short time with the team... I thought he started last year really well but was then dropped and hasn't regained his place. But apparently Jose rejected an approach for him as he sees him as playing a important part during the season. It's just whether in the long term Schneiderlin can accept a squad kind of role?

Well with Fellaini injured this is his big chance. He needs to get his Southampton form back though.

Yeah he does and I wouldn't be surprised if Jose gives him the nod next weekend? With his energy and pressing game but also that he can drop in and protect the defense.

Podolski suggesting that he and Schweinsteiger could be on their way to the MLS.

It's a shame he never worked out. He deserves to be remembered as one of the greatest midfielders of his generation as when he was in his prime he was truly a great player but for us he never got over his injuries we should never have been paying him the wages he was on though and it's good he's off the wage bill. He's handled himself with dignity this season since being told he wouldn't be allowed to train with the first team. Managed to turn himself in to a fan favourite in the short time he had with us.

There are a lot of rumours about him and refusing to play last season but i've never seen that confirmed anywhere.

Right guy wrong time is probably how I'd sum it up he was clearly a lot more broken than we thought when Bayern sold him to us so we never really saw the real Schweinsteiger we got a watered down version. I think LVG wanted him to be his version of Zlatan that senior player who was 100% on board with the LVG way of doing things but his lack of fitness meant when he did play he wasn't the same player and eventually he got injured after a bad tackle and we basically never saw him again. It is a shame that he didn't play more with the U23 side this season as I think those guys could learn a lot from him although I sort of accept the flip side of the U23 games should be used by U23 players but he spent a lot of time training with them so hopefully they got some benefit from that.

My biggest gripe on the whole thing is why did we double his wages? We were basically the only show in town for him once Bayern said he wanted to go so why did we end up chucking so much money his way?

With the benefit of hindsight he's a very expensive mistake but you can kind of see why we took the gamble but it's a shame it never worked out for him seems like a nice guy would've maybe been a bit better if he'd left in the summer but it doesn't seem like the offers were there for him to go.

2 bits on Schweinsteiger's departure from Mourinho.

Jose Mourinho explains why his second Manchester United season will be easier
"I always say the second season is a season when the manager knows everything about the players. What I knew about him [Schweinsteiger] was a season full of injuries. A season where he almost didn't play, a season where he was having treatment outside of the club, and I thought that was not right, the mentality was not right. It was the kind of player who I would not like to have in the club."

Jose Mourinho reveals Bastian Schweinsteiger regret - Official Manchester United Website
"I want to speak about him as a human being and that was the last thing I told him before he left - 'I was not right with you once, I have to be right to you now'. So, when he was asking me to let him leave, I had to say 'yes, you can leave' because I did it once, I cannot do it twice, so I feel sorry for the first period with him. He knows that."

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back