Barcelona Discussion 2021/22

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Feels like there's now daily updates on the imminent implosion of this club at the moment.

So in the last few days Pique has agreed to take a 50% pay cut and it's expected Busquets and Alba will follow suit which has allowed them to register Memphis and Garcia as players for the league campaign.

They actually played and won a game of football beating Real Sociedad 4-2.

Today it's been announced that the club debt now sits at 1.35bn euros.

That is some hole to dig yourself out of as a club.

How badly has that club been mismanaged for years? The full extent of how bad is now being known.

Not quite sure how they dig themselves out of this hole, I guess more player sales and salary reductions. I presume all of their players have a price apart from guys like De Jong, Pedri and Fati. If they start to lose those young guys then they may well fall into the abyss.

Think it's all about who do they owe money to and on what terms will the people who are propping them up financially call in loans or will they just have to manage this issue forever

It basically makes redeveloping the Nou Camp almost impossible which is a problem for them and lets be honest they probably need to sell the naming rights for that as it's not like they can even bring in outside investment due to the setup of the club.

The thing is you need your players to operate so you can't just sell all your players would be like a builder selling all his tools which eventually means he can't actually do any of the work he could win in the future.

Where their problems might come is how loyal will this new army of worldwide fans be to them without Messi? Barcelona have been the biggest name in the game for the last 15 years probably since Ronaldinho emerged they captured that generation will that generation stay with them or will they move on to the next big name club.

1.6b, you/ve got to be looking a finding a buyer/investor, or sell your players and use the youth set up surely.

It's an absolute disaster, how has this happened under FFP?

Likewise the wages PSG are paying, they are going to give Pogba 550 a week next year, how can they pass all that through their books? And don't get me on to City and Chelsea.

Really it depends on who the debt is with they obviously owe lots of money to other clubs on transfer fees which I assume is accounted for in the number and that money will be secured by whoever they borrow from. So it's all about when that debt becomes due and making sure they have the cash to pay it off hence their desperation to sell off as many squad players as they can and asking first team players to take big pay cuts. You then have to question the logic of them being allowed to take on Memphis and Aguero as new players when they already have quite a few attacking options.

It's like our debt it's a long term debt that will be a long term issue that they need to get under control then keep under control a business can be in a lot of debt but remain stable.

I do remember something about presidents being personally responsible for debts incurred during their time as president at these member structure clubs so it may well be that the previous president is on the hook for some of it.

What is a bit nuts is they could have kept Messi if they sorted out his contract before it expired as they wouldn't have needed to register him but by allowing it to expire they then had to register him again which meant they couldn't because they were over budget.

How badly has that club been mismanaged for years? The full extent of how bad is now being known.

Not quite sure how they dig themselves out of this hole, I guess more player sales and salary reductions. I presume all of their players have a price apart from guys like De Jong, Pedri and Fati. If they start to lose those young guys then they may well fall into the abyss.
Please. I hope someone gives them a mighty shove into the abyss.

I have the same amount of sympathy for Barcelona as I do some tele-evangelist getting caught doing lines off a hooker or embezzling church funds. They’ve gone about preaching they’re more than a club while having their ’agents of the club’ tap up players so they could pay stupid fees and wages they couldn’t afford. I hope their house of cards comes crashing down all around them.

So this summer they've replaced Messi, Griezmann and Trincao with Luke De Jong, Memphis Depay and Sergio Aguero.

Had to ask a load of their senior players to take pay cuts.

Still got Coutinho & Dembele on huge wages doing very little.

Feels like a long way back to the top for them.

I honestly don't think words can describe just how big a difference that front 3 is. Barca are surely going to struggle this year?

I can't see them being anywhere in Europe this season but they've not looked convincing in Europe for years now but in La Liga once again they've strengthened a rival by giving them a quality attacking player just like they did with Suarez last season.

With Messi gone I think they'll just look to tread water a bit for a season or two try and get the finances under control even if that means just being a top 4 side in La Liga for a few seasons.

With Messi gone I think they'll just look to tread water a bit for a season or two try and get the finances under control even if that means just being a top 4 side in La Liga for a few seasons.
Thing is I'm not sure they've even got the team to get top 4 have they? I guess La Liga doesn't have a lot of depth so they probably do just about.

Thing is I'm not sure they've even got the team to get top 4 have they? I guess La Liga doesn't have a lot of depth so they probably do just about.

Can't say I follow their league that closely but to me there looks to be 5 good sides going for the top 4 spots.

The two Madrid sides, Barca, Sevilla and Villareal but even with the hits they've had to take you would think Barca can do enough to still make the top 4.

Not having Messi will mean they can build more of a team not just be relying on one man and covering up for the fact he can't/doesn't really run anymore.

They were paying 800k to Greizmann, they fecking derserve this.

They were paying 800k to Greizmann, they fecking derserve this.

Wonder how much they’re still paying him there’s no way Atletico are paying him that and he won’t have left that on the table.

They really are in an absolute mess aren't they.

The president basically wants to sack the manager but he can't afford to do it and he kind of needs him to be his punching bag while he tries to sort out the financial mess.

The manager doesn't really care what the club does because whatever way they decide to go he gets a huge payout thanks to the deal signed off by the previous board.

Surely the PL clubs will be circling to take their best players next summer players like Ter Stegen, De Jong, Pedri and Ansu Fati will all surely be getting calls from PL clubs to see if they fancy jumping ship as that place is a mess and it will take a long time to sort out.

Burn, baby, burn! Glad to see them taken down several pegs. I did a coaching clinic taught by players and coaches from La Masia, and their belief in their own inherent amazingness is unparalleled. They kept saying things like they way they eat lunch is special in La Masia because even it reflects the Barcelona something or other. Gag.

They were lucky to raise/genetically engineer a super soldier who would fit their style of play and stay with them for almost his entire career. Without Messi, they are just another club. All that nonsense the La Masia players were saying could have been better summarized if they said, "we produced Messi and he carried the club for 15 years."

It was a bit more than Messi they hit the jackpot a few times.

In the space of 10 years they produced Valdes, Puyol, Pique, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Messi, Pedro and probably others that I've forgotten it was a golden production line for them just like Utd's was in the 90's but it dried up. Looks like it might be bearing fruit again with some talent coming through.

Once those lads are in the side there's almost nil chance of the next lot of lads breaking in.

Barca dined out on this story for a long time and to their credit it's a great story a major period of success 4 european cups in the space of a decade with a huge chunk of the team being academy graduates, the story sells itself.

It just became a club that ate itself Messi and his family absolutely bled them dry demanding insane contracts and everyone was afraid of him so every manager and every major signing amost needed Messi's blessing. They sold their soul and identity to pay his wages the only reason there's a sponsor on that shirt now is because he wanted £1m a week wages.

It takes a special level of incompetence to basically bankrupt yourself having sold a player for £200m. That Neymar deal is a huge turning moment in that club not only did the team never recover on the pitch from him leaving off the field they behaved in such a reckless way that anyone involved should never be allowed in the Nou Camp again.

Without Messi, Valdes, Puyol, Pique, Busquets, Pedro are not that special. Would you rather have Pique or Bonnucci? feck Puyol. I hate that player.

Xavi is a generational talent. With Iniesta, they were an unstoppable pair. Messi is an unreal dribbler and his ball control is magical, but Xavi is just the complete package.

It would be like if Ronaldo stayed, had Keane and Scholes behind him for the duration, and the team slowly was built to suit Ronaldo's skill set, while giving him bigger and bigger contracts, all while pretending it was the Special United Way instead of Ronaldo's genius that was propelling things.

I actually liked Barca for a while, hated them under LVG though. Been to see them a few times too. Probably liked them because I dislike Madrid so much.
I have no real feeling about them these days.

La Liga have slashed another 300m euro from their spending cap following latest review of the finances.

They now have the 7th highest budget in La Liga.

To put it in perspective La Liga will allow barca to spend 97m euros this season on operating costs Real Madrid are allowed to spend 740m euros this is now 200m euros higher than any other spanish club.

These numbers will change before the end of the season but it maybe highlights the extent of the hole they are still in.

3-0 loss to Benfica tonight. I know there has been a lot of changes and they’ve lost Messi but got to feel Koeman is on borrowed time right now.

The English clubs should be circling over their remaining stars.

No manager should touch that club right now.

I wonder how long before ‘special dispensations’ are made for them. So far La Liga have stayed pretty firm, but we all know when it comes to Barca’s books, sometimes uno y uno no son dos.

I wonder how long before ‘special dispensations’ are made for them. So far La Liga have stayed pretty firm, but we all know when it comes to Barca’s books, sometimes uno y uno no son dos.

Can't see them doing it as what do the other teams have to gain by giving Barca a pass?

The league have really started to turn on the big two and demand fairer deals but the league much be worried if they've got TV contracts coming up for renewal any time soon the rights to these contracts won't be as profitable if Barca are in a mess.

Barca historically have never had the sort of leverage that Madrid had over the other teams easy to forget but until 15 years ago Barca were basically a huge club that always seemed to punch under their weight. They've probably never been in this big a hole but they've always been a club on the verge of catastrophe.

Suarez rubbing salt into the wound as well.

Apparently Koeman is staying because it will cost Barca 16m to sack him.

Pedri has signed a new 5 year deal at Barca includes a 1bn euro release clause.

Got a real star in that kid and they look to have another one ready to emerge in Gavi who was incredible for Spain in the nations league at 17 years old going toe to toe in midfield with Italy and France, that takes some serious courage.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back