Ballon d'Or 2021

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
It's that time of year again the winner is being announced tonight it's expected to be Messi.

The logic being he won the Copa America in the summer but I don't see how he can be selected ahead of Lewendowski or Salah who've been at their best through the whole year Messi has barely done anything since moving to PSG in the summer.

Messi won the last award in 2019 the 2020 award was cancelled due to Covid as not every league finished their season.

Would be a joke if Messi won it. How could he win it ahead of Lewandowski or Salah like you mentioned jsp? Baffling.

It's a popularity contest from a French Football magazine this isn't the one that coaches/players/journalists vote on that is the FIFA award so my guess is they're voting Messi because of the Copa America win and the fact he's now in France.

The criteria that decides who wins has always been a bit random is it what your team has won or what you achieved as an individual?

Liverpool didn't win anything in 2021 so that probably rules out Salah even if he's been brilliant for them.

I personally think Lewendowski has been shafted since the last award was given out his side have done the treble and last year they won the league again and he's broken god knows how many records along the way despite also being a team player. It's not really his fault that he plays for Poland in international football so realistically he's never going to get a chance at winning a big prize but he's helped them reach the playoffs.

Bit like Modric in 2018 I think this year was a chance to ignore the 2 mega stars and give recognition to another player who's been brilliant for most of the last decade.

1st Messi
2nd Lewendowski
3rd Jorginho

6th Ronaldo

21st Bruno

Messi won by 30 points so it was close.

It's voted on by 186 journalists across the entire world with each journalist picking a top 5.

Henry Winter is the journalists who votes from England he voted for Jorginho.

This is where for me it gets a bit silly yes Jorginho played for the team that won the champions league in club football and also won Euro 2020 but would you say he was a key man for either of them? For Italy he missed in the shoot out and since then has missed penalties that cost them top spot in their world cup group. For Chelsea was he really key in their CL success? For me it's ridiculous to suggest he's been the stand out player of 2021 based purely on the outcome of 2 games. If England won the Euro would he have voted for Mason Mount?

Individual awards don't really work in a team sport and awards that run calendar year rather than season can make even less sense. As Messi has done pretty much bugger all at PSG so for almost 1/3 of the year he's hardly done anything.

It's been a joke award for years.

It's time it was scrapped.

Think it's just been taken way to seriously now the way people are getting obsessed with individuals I find really odd.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back