Status
Not open for further replies.
LA Galaxy - 24/7/2014

Two well taken goals and the odd nice piece of link up play.

I'm not a fan of his but was good to see him do well, taken a lot of abuse on twitter over the summer.

I'm interested to see where the wingers/attacking mids fit in a 3-5-2/3-4-3/3-4-1-2. We've a lot of options for those 3 forward positions.

It's a good formation for us as it means our 3 of our best players can play in their best positions. Mata/Rooney/van Persie. Whether Rooney and van Persie can work well together is another thing though. I get the feeling you need a pacy, hard working striker in that front 2. He scored 2 but Welbeck was running the channels, coming deep to link up with Mata and Herrera and also running in behind. He was also winning the ball high up the pitch. Rooney and van Persie tend to better when partnered with Welbeck too.

Inter Milan - 30/7/2014

I've been highly critical of him. I didn't like him at LWB but 2nd half I thought he looked very good. van Gaal sprinkling his magic over some of the fringe players in the squad.

Yeah, I thought he was more involved and was better in the second half.

His attitude and performances would suggest he wants to fight for his future. The tour has possibly given him one more season. I think van Gaal will like Young as a wing-back in the current system.

Can't remember the last time I enjoyed watching him play. Looks a different player, confidence makes a difference, he wants the ball and when he gets it he knows what he wants to do with it. The Kuyt in the pack? Can play further forward, behind the striker, on either wing in a 4-3-3 and at either wing back in current formation.

Just need to work on his delivery now from open play and set pieces. Oh and maybe get him more confident in using his left foot if he's to play on the left.

Real Madrid - 2/8/2014

Still early days but I take it all back now. Shame on those that sent him abuse on twitter though. Glad not to be one of those.

Actually pleased to see him doing well as he seems a quite likable person going off interviews and some other things.

First miracle of van Gaal's era. Playing like a player that i always expected. Hopefully, he'll keep the momentum when the season starts

Liverpool - 5/8/2014

Another top performance. He took on players, crossing was excellent and tracked backed. Sterling caused him the odd issue, but in the main he defended okay.

Did Fergie and Moyes tell him to intentionally hit the first man on crosses or something because he seems to be a solid crosser all of a sudden.

Probably been our best player on the tour. Will be interesting to see if he continues to perform in the wing-back position. At the start of the summer he was one of those who had a fight to save his United career, along with the likes of Nani who will surely be gone, but he has shown a lot of determination and fight and is know almost certain to be here next season.

I was all for getting 2 more wing backs, one for each side but he may have saved us having to do that. He still needs to improve in the role though, I think he can.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Rafael will be our RWB if fit, he is perfect for the role.

"if fit". That's the problem! His injury record is terrible and he's injured again right now. I love Rafael as a RB, he's good defensively and good going forward but he'll need to improve his end product when he does get forward as a RWB as there's more reliance on him as the only wide right player.

Swansea City - 16/8/2014

A bird shit is a mouth, that was about as good as it got for him.

Problem with him playing on the left is he's right footed and I think in the formation of the first half you need left footers on the left and right on the right, you need that width option, not someone cutting in and running into traffic. In the second half when we reverted to more of a 4-4-2, the only player out of the 4 wide players that was playing on the side of his preferred foot was Phil Jones. Young and Nani both right footers playing on the left, Januzaj on the right. Nani and Januzaj should have been swapping sides.

Problem with him playing on the left is he's right footed and I think in the formation of the first half you need left footers on the left and right on the right, you need that width option, not someone cutting in and running into traffic. In the second half when we reverted to more of a 4-4-2, the only player out of the 4 wide players that was playing on the side of his preferred foot was Phil Jones. Young and Nani both right footers playing on the left, Januzaj on the right. Nani and Januzaj should have been swapping sides.

Yeah, I agree.

There wasn't much choice though, agreed with decision to play him there over James.

Yeah, Van Gaal possibly thought both James and Blackett on the left was risky.

Sunderland - 24/8/2014

Reverted to type after an encouraging pre-season?

He was very poor both going forward and defensively. The goal came from a set piece but it was pressure on the left flank which led to the corner. Did not contribute anything going forward. Hit the first man with most of his crosses.

Big shame he hasn't carried on his pre-season form. Back to the normality I suppose with the first two showings of the season, average.

I did say during pre-season that he shouldn't play on the left. When you've only got 1 wide player on each side you need a lefty on the left and a right footer on the right. The amount of times today that Young could have gone to the byline and crossed with his left but had no confidence to do so was at least 10 times. Need a left footer.

Arsenal - 22/11/2014

Good performance. His defensive contribution, tracking of runners and tactical awareness made a big difference. His attacking play was fine as well.

I'd like to see Young at left back if Shaw is out.

Southampton - 8/12/2014

Another good performance. His work rate was excellent.

I quite like him at left back.

A few wayward square passes aside, he was good in both defence and attack. I'd trust him more as a full back in a back 4 than Valencia.

Aston Villa - 20/12/2014

Not sure why Villa fans dislike him so much. Great cross for the goal.

Brilliant cross for the goal. He played well on the left, less on the right. His crossing from the right was poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back