Arsenal Discussion 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Fabio Vieira deal confirmed from Porto now moving their interest to Raphina from Leeds.

Think Raphina is the sort of player they need they are very light on attacking players but Leeds aren't going to let him go cheap.

Big season coming for Arsenal they need to really cash in on the instability at Utd and Chelsea and try to break back into the top 4.

Right now with the business they have done and the rumours swirling around other players I think United have a real task on their hands to catch arsenal next year.

I dunno I think a better manager gets more out of what we have already than the last 2 did not saying he can win titles but that squad is good enough to challenge for the top 4. There's obvious weaknesses to be addressed but there's a lot of quality in that squad if you find a way to make it work. I genuinely believe the difference between Utd and Chelsea last season was the quality they have in central midfield. If Utd just address that I think we'll take big jumps forward.

Arsenal this summer it's all about adding more depth last season when their first XI was fit they were a competitive side and they didn't have any european games to manage. Starting XI wise they need a centre forward and probably a centre mid to replace Xhaka. Their problem was the bench was weak so when they had people missing the drop off in quality was big.

The interesting thing will be what they do with Saliba he was signed 2 years ago and has spent 2 season on loan in France where he's been 1 of the best defenders in that league and he's just broken into the national team. There are rumours that he doesn't really get on with Arteta and if he came back to Arsenal he would likely be the third choice behind White and Gabriel so it's unlikely he'll want to stay around.

I'm not completely sold on Arteta yet. I don't think he'll last the season.

Liverpool and City of course.

Chelsea and spurs, I can't make my mind up on Chelsea yet.

Then Arsenal and United.

I'm not holding out for top 4, season 1, new style for the players, new league for the manager. WC mid way through.

I want to see huge, positive, changes, that's all I'm after.

City/Liverpool will be miles clear again.

Of the other big 4 currently Spurs look in the best shape but it's all about how good a start you get as momentum builds confidence in football. Honestly between Spurs/Chelsea/Utd/Arsenal I think it's almost impossible to say what order they finish in next season.

If Spurs get off to a good start I think they could do what Chelsea did this year which is cling on at the top for the first few months before falling off the pace.

I think with a full pre season under Conte looking at the signings they've made so far with more likely to come if they keep the key players fit they'll be the best of the rest next season.

Right now Arsenal are ahead of United and they are getting on with their summer business. I really don't see much of an argument for that. Am I saying that Arsenal are going to contend for the title? Absolutely not no. But do I think they can push on from last year? Yes I do. Do I think they can close the gap to the top 4? Yes I do. Can I say the same of United? Right now Absolutely not no.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Think it’s a big gamble they are desperate for a centre forward and they’re spending 50m on a guy who’s played mainly off the wing for his current club.

Arteta knows him well though from his time at City so maybe feels he can adapt.

So Jesus deal agreed and they are expected to move for Raphinha. Any United fan who says they are not concerned is lying to themselves.

So Jesus deal agreed and they are expected to move for Raphinha. Any United fan who says they are not concerned is lying to themselves.
I think all United fans know every transfer window will be sh!t show where we buy crap on the last day of the window

It’s still only June 25th to be fair. A lot of players are still on holiday.

Not sure it’s quite the time to be losing our minds. Give it a month and if we still haven’t signed anyone then yeah let’s worry!

I don't understand the argument players are on holiday. How can the manager and the coaching team plan for the season when they don't know what players they have.

Yes there is still a bit of the window to go, but any half decent outfit would get the business done

I don't think any fan could defend United in the transfer windows post Gill

The United transfer policy has been awful post Fergie and Gill. They overpay, they don't sign quality often enough and they don't sell well. They've never sold well to be fair but yeah it is a mess. And whilst they may be trying to do things properly this year they don't have any credit in the bank to deserve any support.

Ideally yes you get your business done early but the plan will have to be adaptable depending on how the recruitment goes that is part of the job.

Our plan went out the window at the end of August last season when out of nowhere Ronaldo arrived.

Think the first group of players are back in training next week fingers crossed deals are done just not announced and once players return from holidays they will arrive to complete medical and start pre season with us.

If in 2 weeks we are still in this position then I’ll probably start getting worried.

Our transfers were always going to get done later than everyone else's. We've got a new manager coming in so there is no continuity.

I'm not completely sold on Arteta yet. I don't think he'll last the season.

Liverpool and City of course.

Chelsea and spurs, I can't make my mind up on Chelsea yet.

Then Arsenal and United.

I'm not holding out for top 4, season 1, new style for the players, new league for the manager. WC mid way through.

I want to see huge, positive, changes, that's all I'm after.
Same, but i'm a little worried about the Big change, because we have not signed anyone yet and all the good target are gone.

There is a Twitter quality forcing its way into this forum. Every deal that another club does turns into a United disgrace, whether United want the players or not. Of course this is United and things can go wrong very quickly with us, but if we suddenly sign three of our top targets, some of which we may not even know who they are, and suddenly things do not look quite as bad.

There is a Twitter quality forcing its way into this forum. Every deal that another club does turns into a United disgrace, whether United want the players or not. Of course this is United and things can go wrong very quickly with us, but if we suddenly sign three of our top targets, some of which we may not even know who they are, and suddenly things do not look quite as bad.
That is the problem with your inactivity. More good players go elsewhere and less good players remain available for us. I miss the year of Nani transfer. We got Anderson, Hargreaves and Nani fast, in the begining of the window.

Also this.

People do need to chill out. I have no doubt we will make the signings that we need. I’m glad we are not rushing into things and ETH needs time to assess the squad and what he needs.

I don't think it's the speed of signings that's the problem, it's the mess we make of it

The team reassembles this week, we have a new manager, and he has no idea who his squad will be. How can he plan.

I just read a post on the de jong thread, saying we've met Barca price, but de jong doesn't want to come.

Now, IF that is true, what a bloody mess. Wasted 4 weeks on a player who doesn't want to come. I assume that was nonsense, or I hope it was or its even worse behind the scenes

Now, IF that is true, what a bloody mess. Wasted 4 weeks on a player who doesn't want to come. I assume that was nonse
With any other club you'd say "there's no way they have spent 4 weeks negotiating for a player who doesn't want to join the club". With United though? I would say there's a chance.

With any other club you'd say "there's no way they have spent 4 weeks negotiating for a player who doesn't want to join the club". With United though? I would say there's a chance.
Safe to assume that we have had enough encouragement from the player that he would like to come if we agree a fee.

Looks like Jesus is in the bag £45m just the medical to complete.

Think it's a decent punt probably a better option than Lacazette but not sure it's a game changing signing.

I think if you struggle to score for city, you're not going to bag loads at Arsenal

he's about 1 in 3 for City, so to be generous 1 in 4 for Arse, that's 10 goals a season.

These are league only stats for Jesus.

159 games
58 goals (only 3 were pens)
29 assists
160 minutes per goal
61% shot accuracy
17% conversion rate

So on minute per goal he's roughly 1 in 2 and he plays quite a bit from the wing.

Overall his numbers are very similar to Lacazette who was considered by many to be a guy who worked hard and did a job for the team but didn't really have the skills to be a top goal scorer.

Feels to me a bit of a like for like replacement probably needed to happen as Lacazette wanted a big contract and wasn't getting any better but not sure Jesus is going to make them much better.

In talks to sign Zinchenko from City.

£35m sounds like a big fee but he’s a handy player for Arsenal can cover Tierney at left back when he’s injured as Tavares is a liability and he can also play in midfield/wide areas.

Quite a decent interview with Edu who's their director of football he talks reasonably openly about the changes he's trying to implement at the club he wants the club to ditch the 4th is good enough attitude and start thinking about how it can finish 1st.

He said they went to meet a player at Dortmund to discuss a potential move and all the player talked about was money so they decided to walk away as they don't want that sort of character in their club they will have to pay competitive wages but they want to make sure that the players aren't just driven by that.

Talk is cheap in football you'll be judged on results at the end of the day but it does feel like some momentum started to build at that club last season they've invested in that squad again this summer so will be interested to see if they can carry on the momentum.

He has said some good stuff, but for me, their manager is not good enough.

If it wasn't for Lampard, he'd be on top of my sack race

I think there are doubts over their manager but the standard of managers in this league is ridiculously high and I'd say so far he's done reasonably well but he's now reaching that point we got to with Ole where you find out if he's got what it takes to go to the very top.

Next season we've got Pep, Klopp, Tuchel and Conte all in charge of big clubs with deep pockets.

Where I'd say he's not yet fully tested is can he manage a squad through a season with the european matches and keeping momentum in the league.

Think he'd be given time even after a bad start there's quite a few who I think could go quickly next season if things start badly for them.

Quite a decent interview with Edu who's their director of football he talks reasonably openly about the changes he's trying to implement at the club he wants the club to ditch the 4th is good enough attitude and start thinking about how it can finish 1st.

He said they went to meet a player at Dortmund to discuss a potential move and all the player talked about was money so they decided to walk away as they don't want that sort of character in their club they will have to pay competitive wages but they want to make sure that the players aren't just driven by that.

Talk is cheap in football you'll be judged on results at the end of the day but it does feel like some momentum started to build at that club last season they've invested in that squad again this summer so will be interested to see if they can carry on the momentum.

That wouldn't be the Edu who chose Arsenal over United because they offered him more money would it?

That wouldn't be the Edu who chose Arsenal over United because they offered him more money would it?

Take your word for it but I'd never even heard of Edu when he signed for Arsenal.

He probably made the right choice as given the quality of centre mids we had in the late 90's he wouldn't have got much of a look in at Utd even if we'd offered him better money.

Sounds like he got the win on both sides got better money and more playing time.

Just watched the highligth against Sevilla and they looked red hot.
Definetly top 4 this year.

Just watched the highligth against Sevilla and they looked red hot.
Definetly top 4 this year.
To be fair they always look pretty good in pre-season. Can’t really make any conclusions before the real stuff starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back