Antony | Match Discussion Thread 2023/24

SuperRash

Really big season for Antony, he did okay in his first but needs to add a lot more end product to his game. He was bought for a lot of money so of course ETH will be patient but could be under pressure by Amad if he doesn’t hit the ground running in the new season.

He needs to kick on. That wasn't a terrible season but really not a good one. Few very important goals but too many non existent games.

Yeah, big season for him and Sancho. Sancho is in last chance.
I like Antony, like his attitude, but he needs to add more to his game. And I think he will, he seems driven

He needs to kick on. That wasn't a terrible season but really not a good one. Few very important goals but too many non existent games.
Yeah scored a few absolute crackers but his end product overall was really lacking. The goals against City and Barca were pretty special and does show what he can do.

Has all the tricks in the world but really needs to start doing the basics right.

Expecting him to be our player of the year this season. We haven't seen anything yet ....

I like him.

his first season was decent enough but he needs to contribute more than just the cut in and shoot, hopefully with a new striker he can build up an understanding to provide some assists along with the goals.

He was the worst player on the pitch. His passing was poor, frequently surrendered possession and was easily disposed.

Not sure if the season is make or break but it’s definitely a big one for him. He’s had a poor start…

Given he’s close to hitting the headlines off the pitch again we’ve got no alternative it’s a worry as his performances look like those of a player who’s just short of the level required.

He’s starting to look more and more like a £70m mistake. His trickery may have worked in the Dutch league but it’s not working in the EPL on a consistent basis.

His passing is usually too short, he lacks ideas when he has the ball.

It’s early in the season so players sometimes take some time to get going but he’s been dreadful in the first two games.

He’s starting to look more and more like a £70m mistake. His trickery may have worked in the Dutch league but it’s not working in the EPL on a consistent basis.

His passing is usually too short, he lacks ideas when he has the ball.

It’s early in the season so players sometimes take some time to get going but he’s been dreadful in the first two games.
Needs a kick up the backside, and I feel Pellistri should start the next game.

Needs a kick up the backside, and I feel Pellistri should start the next game.
Yeah got to agree with that. Pellistri will at least give us a bit more width and actually runs to the byline to whip in some crosses.

Shame Amad isn’t fit right now.

Yeah got to agree with that. Pellistri will at least give us a bit more width and actually runs to the byline to whip in some crosses.

Shame Amad isn’t fit right now.

Crosses to who though?

Until we get a proper centre forward in the side crosses are not our friend, even Hojlund isn’t known for being good in the air.

It’s a big problem only Casemiro looks capable of scoring a header in this side it’s why we are probably the worst side in the league on set pieces.

We’re going to need more from him if we're going to make top 4 this season, and less of the 1000 step overs before giving it away that we've been seeing so far.

Pellistri is just as raw as Garnacho, who has also been ineffective, but at least he’ll take the ball down the touch line and look to beat the fullback. Antony doesn’t have the pace/willingness/right foot so he checks back in and the attack breaks down.

Yesterday, the Spurs players could play off each other with quick one touch passing. Everything we do is laboured and slow, which isn’t solely Antony’s fault, but like the rest of our forward line, he looks like he doesn’t know where his teammates are or what ball he should play.

Our squad is still way below par, I think our recent window hasn't improved our starting 11. I feel like we've gone backwards. Which is standard united over recent years. One step forward, bad window, 3 steps back, sack coach go again.

Our squad is still way below par, I think our recent window hasn't improved our starting 11. I feel like we've gone backwards. Which is standard united over recent years. One step forward, bad window, 3 steps back, sack coach go again.
I did suspect this may happen. I said to my brother that after progress last year and securing CL football they wouldn’t back Ten Hag sufficiently and they’d go backwards. Sadly I think that’s what may happen. And that’s not knee jerk from one game.

Onana is a really really good signing. Mount I just don’t get. And Hojlund is young and unproven so who knows there. They needed to add a CM or maybe 2 with the potential departures and they didn’t.

Not sure we can say they haven't backed him. What have we spent £190m?

He's been given 3 £50m plus signings this summer not sure you can say he hasn't been backed. They're also players he's clearly identified as ones he wants these aren't players being forced on him by a sporting director he is picking the players he wants.

Are owners who appear to be trying to sell the club really going to push the boat out in the way Arsenal have done? I don't think so.

Works hard but no shots or chances created for a guy in the front 3 is a problem

Best United player on the pitch today, the ongoing criticism of him is just weird.
Rashford was a lot more threatening on the right side, his goal aside he created far more. That little run on the byline was fantastic to create a chance for Hojlund.

I thought Antony was okay and did well defensively but must show more up top.

Rashford was a lot more threatening on the right side, his goal aside he created far more. That little run on the byline was fantastic to create a chance for Hojlund.

I thought Antony was okay and did well defensively but must show more up top.

Rashford played well, just thought Antony made less unforced errors.

Somebody should give Sancho a heat-map of Antony's performance yesterday and then the penny might drop, that main reason Antony is ahead of him on the RW isn't favouritism it's because Antony works his tripe off on the defensive side of the game when he's on the pitch, and not just walk back hoping to pick the game up when the ball comes nearer him again like Sancho. That and because Sancho is crap on the right.

As frustrating as he can be for me he's our only option on the right until Amad is fit.

We might see a bit of Mount there when he's fit in some of the bigger games where he wants Amrabat in the midfield to be a bit more sturdy.

His end product is very hit and miss but as you say the work rate is always there and that should be the standard for every player. Work your nuts off and if its not your day its not your day fans will stomach that.

As frustrating as he can be for me he's our only option on the right until Amad is fit.

We might see a bit of Mount there when he's fit in some of the bigger games where he wants Amrabat in the midfield to be a bit more sturdy.

His end product is very hit and miss but as you say the work rate is always there and that should be the standard for every player. Work your nuts off and if its not your day its not your day fans will stomach that.

And that's partially because of his limitations as a coach, he feels he needs a left-footer at RW, and a right-footer at LW to make his system work, the fact he played Omari Forson and Noam Emeran on the right in pre-season backs that up.

And that might be part of Sancho's gripe, two players not long for United(one's already been sold)picked over him on the right.

He's the least Dutch Manager I know, if I'd not seen his name, or heard him speak I would argue he isn't even Dutch.

And that's partially because of his limitations as a coach, he feels he needs a left-footer at RW, and a right-footer at LW to make his system work, the fact he played Omari Forson and Noam Emeran on the right in pre-season backs that up.

And that might be part of Sancho's gripe, two players not long for United(one's already been sold)picked over him on the right.

He's the least Dutch Manager I know, if I'd not seen his name, or heard him speak I would argue he isn't even Dutch.

Think it's the modern game the wide forwards all want to come inside on their stronger foot rather than go outside, you get very few wingers who want to play the traditional role.

I forgot Pellistri who seems to be the backup option he's a more traditional winger that wants to go outside his man. Hojlund might enjoy having him in the side as he's more likely to be a creator than Anthony.

I wouldn't read to much into pre season selections it was a mess because of the number of games and travel. Was the game in Dublin really necessary?

Ten Hag is heavily influenced by German football having spent time out there, his lack of Dutch traditions wasn't popular with the Ajax fans when he took over as he didn't play 4-3-3.

The Sancho issue to me is doesn't matter what wing you put him on he doesn't track back and he doesn't demand the ball he hides on the pitch when things aren't going for him.

Think it's the modern game the wide forwards all want to come inside on their stronger foot rather than go outside, you get very few wingers who want to play the traditional role.

Nowt modern about it, Austrian and Czech Managers were doing the inverted winger thing back in the 40's.

And it tickles me when folk bull up Klopp for his unplayable high-press, the Dutch orange machine showed everybody how successful that could be back in '74, and don't get me started on how Pep and Barcelona revolutionised the game - it's all been seen before.

Nowt modern about it, Austrian and Czech Managers were doing the inverted winger thing back in the 40's.

And it tickles me when folk bull up Klopp for his unplayable high-press, the Dutch orange machine showed everybody how successful that could be back in '74, and don't get me started on how Pep and Barcelona revolutionised the game - it's all been seen before.

You highlight a few examples it's now pretty much all of them to the point where a right footer on the right is some sort of novelty.

As for Pep the biggest credit to him is he's continued to adapt his methods to suit how the game has changed. He borrows from others to improve his ideas about how the game should be played. Ferguson was the same his 93-94 side was dominant in it's time but by 2008 it could never have done what that side did because the game evolved.

The change a few years ago that allowed for more physical contact has seen him make his side a lot more physically imposing than the version that got 100 points.

You highlight a few examples it's now pretty much all of them to the point where a right footer on the right is some sort of novelty.

As for Pep the biggest credit to him is he's continued to adapt his methods to suit how the game has changed. He borrows from others to improve his ideas about how the game should be played. Ferguson was the same his 93-94 side was dominant in it's time but by 2008 it could never have done what that side did because the game evolved.

The change a few years ago that allowed for more physical contact has seen him make his side a lot more physically imposing than the version that got 100 points.

I've always preferred a right-footed LB, and a lot of Managers do now to go with the inverted wingers, but i've yet to see anybody having both FB's and Wingers on their wrong side, and not sure why, even in a friendly, there must be some reason for it which is beyond me. Must invest in a tactics board and get to the bottom of it, there's probably some logical explanation.

He's a very good coach but not great for me, he's just copying what van Gaal and Cruyff did, who copied what Rinus Michels did with Holland circa '74, and he copied what the Austrians were doing in the 30's/40's with just minor tweaks along the way.

The 93/94 side is still my favourite side, just ahead of the 76/77 side who were a joy to watch, and I think if SAF could have found wingers of the standard of Kanchelskis, Sharpe and Giggs we could have still won Leagues playing that way, but European cups no way, hence the change..

Apologies for the derail guys, i'm the worlds worst for pointing out when others do, so please forgive me, I know not what I do ....

Its jsp's fault

Back