Antony | Match Discussion thread 2022/23

rolling.gif

Few more days and I’ll have the dog doing it

Few more days and I’ll have the dog doing it

My next door neighbours rabbit has been doing it for weeks, proper show-off it is, does it clockwise, then anti-clockwise, then clockwise again, mind having four legs helps as i'm sure your dog will testify.

Ideal opportunity to improve confidence but that was a pretty poor performance. He’ll have to improve if he wants to keep his place in the team.

Here we go, gotta to have somebody to have a go at ....on another day he get's two goals ....

Nobody’s having a go, just being realistic. He was outstanding during the first part of the season, but hasn’t kept it going of late. I still think he’s going to be fantastic for us.

Fair enough, I didn't think he was all that bad at the World Cup, no worse than Raphinha any way.

I'm not having a go either. I think he started better than anyone, including him, thought he would
Went off to the WC and over did things to try and get a place, made a lot of wrong decisions and tried to over do it, shooting when he should have passed etc
I didn't see last night, but he needs to calm down a bit, and think a bit more
I also think he'll be cracking when he learns a bit more about composure. He's got the game

He wasn't abhorrent at the WC, but his start to the season raised expectations, and when he didn't live up to them, people notice. There were a few times last night where he made the wrong decision on the counter, which will come with experience. I originally thought he would strike up a connection with Sancho, but it's looking like him and Sir Marcus could be developing a little something of the Rooney/Ronaldo thing.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Another underwhelming performance. He’s struggling at the moment, perhaps is lacking a bit of confidence. Needs to show more.

Yeah Mitchell was a match for him tonight never really got the better of his man.

Still very hit and miss and tonight he was definitely a miss.

Yes, but we need to remember he is still a young man and has much improvement in him when settled into a new country, league, team etc...
Some of EtH signings have been as much about bringing some attitude and swagger into our team. Boyo, was that needed. Antony provides that and makes us less predictable and boring, as we had been previous.
These things are serious big jumps and life adjustments for 22yr olds with such riches suddenly thrust upon them and there needs to be some serious mentoring involved to keep these young men grounded and focused.
We all know this is where Fergie excelled and EtH is clearly of the same mould.
In Eric We Trust.

Yes, but we need to remember he is still a young man and has much improvement in him when settled into a new country, league, team etc...
Some of EtH signings have been as much about bringing some attitude and swagger into our team. Boyo, was that needed. Antony provides that and makes us less predictable and boring, as we had been previous.
These things are serious big jumps and life adjustments for 22yr olds with such riches suddenly thrust upon them and there needs to be some serious mentoring involved to keep these young men grounded and focused.
We all know this is where Fergie excelled and EtH is clearly of the same mould.
In Eric We Trust.

Your account been hacked mate, good post.

He seems to be playing a little bit within himself to be honest. But I have no doubts he will come good and be a star for us in the coming years.

It’s a big step up from the Dutch league and sometimes it takes a while to adjust. He’s definitely got a lot of talent and a wicked left foot.

Yes, and another thing. The cut inside and curler to the far post has become predictable. Somebody needs to show him a video of the Kanchelskis speciality of cutting in and a low drive to the near post so he can mix it up a bit and have the opposition guessing.

I think he's done better in his first season that I thought he would, certainly played more. Forget the fee it's a long-term investment for the club. This time next year he will be flying.

I think he's done alright, I agree the fee is crazy but that's the world now.

There are quite a few games where he's not creating a chance for himself or others, he needs to become a more consistent threat.

He looks to me like he hasn't quite got the speed to get away from the opponent which was a similar problem Memphis had when he arrived. When he hits the accelerator he's not leaving the full back in his dust in England they can keep up with him so he's going to need to add more to his locker. That will involve learning how to go outside the opponent to keep them guessing.

One of his better performances but he was overall poor. His control and balance is poor when running with ball. The quality of passing can be indifferent too. His work rate is his major redeeming quality, unlike Bruno he may have tracked Zinchenko for the third goal.

I thought Martinelli showed us what we are missing with Antony and his lack of pace. He was one on one with Zinchenko several times and looked like he didn't know what to do as he couldn't beat him for pace.

I was clearly talking about his lack of pace. He is not going to develop that in another two seasons.

Huh? I'd take Antony in a foot race with Martinelli any day of the week, granted he hasn't quite worked out when, and when not to use it, similar to Martinelli in his first two seasons.

Antony is not fast. Martinelli is rapid.

Don't talk rubbish.

And Antony is seriously quick. He has been clocked at 35.7kph (22.2mph), which would put him in or around the top 10 for the fastest players in Premier League.

Statistics vary for players' speed, but Adam Armstrong at Southampton, Wilfried Saha at Crystal Palace, Manchester City's Kyle Walker and Liverpool's Mohamed Salah usually feature near the top of the list with a top speed around 36kph or 22mph.

Don't talk rubbish.

And Antony is seriously quick. He has been clocked at 35.7kph (22.2mph), which would put him in or around the top 10 for the fastest players in Premier League.

Statistics vary for players' speed, but Adam Armstrong at Southampton, Wilfried Saha at Crystal Palace, Manchester City's Kyle Walker and Liverpool's Mohamed Salah usually feature near the top of the list with a top speed around 36kph or 22mph.
Me eyes tell me that Antony isn’t fast. He isn’t fast nor is he slow, his pace is average. Martinelli wins in a race, comfortably so.

I think you need to distinguish between top speed and acceleration. Anthony is fast but he doesn't seem to have that explosive pace over 10-15 yards which is what matters more on a football pitch.

Antony is no slouch. It’s his touch that tends to let him down at times. He played more than one heavy touch straight into the path of Martinelli. Beat himself effectively. He still has some learning to do.

I mean most wingers are pretty quick but by premier league standards he isn't noticeably quick.

He seems to have a million ways to beat his man but he lacks for quick burst that gets you away from the defender once you sell the dummy. That is what I think Martinelli has, he can leave you in the dust if you fall for his trick he's a speed merchant he doesn't need to sell you with a trick if he's got space he can just knock it and run.

It's something I think Garnacho does really well once he's beaten you he's very good at putting space between himself and the defender. Anthony seems to let the opponent get back and have a second chance at the tackle. It's something he probably needs to work on in pre season try and give himself a bit more acceleration so that if he does go down the outside the defenders can't catch him.

I also felt like yesterday his end product was pretty poor a number of times he attempted a cross and it looked like he'd caught the floor as he hit it so the cross went in low and was easily dealt with.

Me eyes tell me that Antony isn’t fast. He isn’t fast nor is he slow, his pace is average. Martinelli wins in a race, comfortably so.

To be fair he hasn't really shown it yet going forward but in his recovery runs(getting back in) he has, maybe he's playing with an injury and he's not prepared to test it fully when he's got contact and to beat a man or two, but just getting back in shape with no physical contact he's fine accelerating.

Disagree about a race if they are both fully fit, Antony leaves Martinelli eating his dust.

Better. He was involved and bit more direct. Shame he didn’t score from the brilliant team move.

I'd love to see him pop up on the left and run the right back down the touchline a few times a match. He didn't develop a reliance on his left peg overnight, so you'd think ETH had a plan when he signed him.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back