Anthony Martial | Match Discussion Thread 2021/22

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Man Utd 0-1 West Ham

Lets hope this thread doesn't see much action after last night.

Absolutely dreadful looks lazy and slow and just not interested.

Confidence that seemed to build during the 2019/20 season has totally gone a shadow of the player we saw in that season.

With him at centre forward last night it was like playing with 10 men he didn't even try to attack a cross when it came into the box and in build up play unless the ball was straight into his feet he wasn't interested.

Agree, think he signed his death warrant last night (if he hadn't signed it already)

Cut ties and try and get sold as early as possible, because to me its clear that he is never going to be the player he needs to be to fit into this team.

He was abysmal last night, well and truly disinterested.

Ole has been loyal to him and given him chances and to be honest he's been let down by him over the last 12 months he's really been poor and it's hard to really understand what happened.

Going to be a tough player to move on huge wages contract until 2024 and his potential value sinking.

Can see him being bounced out on loan in January and maybe even next season while we try to find him a new home.

The lack of effort he shows is unforgivable, I can put up with crap players who try. But to not try is not on.

Fred, at least he puts a shift in.

I think get him out however we can, loan, cheap sale, whatever.

The lack of effort he shows is unforgivable, I can put up with crap players who try. But to not try is not on.

Fred, at least he puts a shift in.

I think get him out however we can, loan, cheap sale, whatever.
Bag of Quavers and a Mars bar ? ...

I have to ask if you guys actually watched the Carabao Cup match? Because Martial was not lacking in effort. He actually had a lot of good linking passes in and around the box, created several chances, had several shots saved, had a few go wide or get blocked. He wasn't lazy. I think he's just a polarizing figure because people want him to be a different kind of player. Not saying this is exactly like Lukaku, but I see similarities.

Not sure if it's my eyes playing tricks but he looks bulkier than he was before. Not saying he's fat but to me he just looks a bit thicker maybe been hitting the gym a bit more trying to improve his strength but looks a bit slower off the mark than he was before.

I missed the first 15 minutes but from what I saw he was a passenger just didn't seem to want to be involved or deal with the physical challenge of going up against two centre backs which as the centre forward like it or not is your job. If the ball came to him he was happy but he did absolutely nothing to make something happen he never ran in behind, he never challenged for a 50/50 or a 30/70 just wasn't interested in doing anything difficult. I bet the West Ham centre backs loved playing against him must have been easy as he did nothing to ask a question of them all night.

Martial had 3 shots in the game 1 on target one of these registered as a big chance missed according to the stats on the Man Utd app.
He created zero chances, attempted zero through balls and touched the ball in the opponents box 13 times,
He completed 17 of 19 passes but lost possession of the ball 7 times and didn't win it back once attempting zero tackles and didn't make an interception.

We saw a different game, then. I had the benefit of watching the match *after* everyone's knives had come out, as I didn't see it live and had to wait 4 hours for it to show up on MUTV. With that I was watching to see which narrative was the more correct -- was it VDB is shit, Martial is a fat waster, Sancho has two left feet, Mata is a pensioner, Matic is in a wheelchair -- or was there a different view possible? We started really poorly, didn't anything like a rhythm together until after they scored. There's so much negativity on United sites regarding our own players that I try to catch every game live so that I don't get poisoned by it and I can just enjoy it on my own terms. There are lies, damned lies, and statistics. Go back and watch the part you missed on MUTV. Did you see the part where Mata dinked a ball over the top to Martial, who ran in behind, took the ball on his chest and sort of seal juggled it before trying a shot with his weaker foot? Martial is not displacing Rashford from the left, nor Ronaldo or Cavani from the CF. He's not going to be the Ballon d'Or winner any time soon. Because he's 3rd choice in his favored position we should probably move him on. I think it's unfair to look at this list of stats and conclude he lacked effort.

We should have won. Moss fecked us. Noble had 4 yellow card offenses. Jesse was pulled down in the box. Mata hit the woodwork with an amazing shot no one is even talking about. Sancho hit the post. We had the ball in their half for most of the game. We dominated them, took 27 shots, and Areola made some crazy-ass saves. We fell apart at the end and gifted West Ham some breakaways and Henderson came up with some huge saves of his own. People would have you believe we played like the U14s. We were disjointed because these players are not playing together in competitive fixtures.

In my view, Bailly and Telles were what caused our defensive problems. Telles got skinned so many times and so easily it was sad. Anyone on the pitch knew that Telles was going to get roasted, and that affects how the players around him react to various threats. Lindelof actually did well, and Dalot had me thinking he might get a game ahead of AWB. Matic stood up for the badge and fecking nailed a couple Hammers with dirty challenges because they were getting away with so many uncalled fouls. Sancho came alive in the 2nd half, showed glimpses of something that might resemble the player we thought we bought. Lingard was direct but headless. I mean, we had a lot of players getting their first real taste of action and afterwards fans want them all sent to the knacker's yard.

I didn't watch this, and after reading social media, had no desire to find a replay, so I can't comment on Martial's performance specifically. What I would say, is that he's coming off the worst season of his Utd career and a large chunk of supporters wanted him sold. The direct rivals for his place either finished last season on fire (Greenwood/Cavani) or are out until October (Rashford). Instead of coming back with a massive chip on his shoulder and taking his place back by force, he needed time to get fit, and has put in lacklustre performances every time he's been given opportunities.

Shawberto Carlos was in this exact situation last summer, and the contrast in their approaches couldn't have been more stark.

He's done let's be honest. He needs a move to try to kick start his career. He's a player with such talent and ability but he's also a lazy player who seems disinterested a lot of the time.

Against West ham he kept doing the same thing. He kept wanting the ball to feet but the defender would see it coming and step in front. I must have seen that happen 4 or 5 times. At no point did he try and mix it up by spinning in behind or dropping a little deeper or moving out wide.

He's lazy, plain and simple.

I think he looks the type of player that needs a run of games to look really sharp. When he’s coming in for the odd game he just doesn’t look right.

He just needs a fresh start. If he plays week in week out then he’ll probably be very good for someone but we have so many options here now that he just won’t get that opportunity any more.

Premier League: Manchester United 1-1 Everton - 2nd October 2021

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Took his goal well and I think he played well but looks to have got injured.

Still think chances will be limited for him when Rashford returns as well.

A few decent performances might help get him moved on though.

You never know what’s going on in someone’s head but Martial just looks like he’s bored with football, and is just happy to collect his massive salary week after week.

I thought he had turned a corner after lockdown as he was scoring goals and actually looking like the player we know he can be. But now he is an absolute shadow of the player of that time. Sure he’s not playing week in week out but there has to be that desire to show ‘I’m here and I’m going to show you, I deserve to start’. But nope, nothing like that.

Just needs a move away for me. Sure Newcastle would spunk loads of their corrupt cash at us!

I reckon he'd need to go abroad. But I think he just sees himself as a striker and doesn't like playing the left wing position so sulks.

I think he's lost a bit of speed injuries maybe caught up to him a bit.

He's not physical enough to be a centre forward and he's not creative enough to be a winger.

Just hasn't developed into a top level player probably should be playing in France maybe even Portugal banging in 15-20 a season for a decent club.

He's been in England 6 years now and still looks like the same player there's been very little progress Utd have put him on a silly contract which probably makes him hard to move on but he needs to leave as he's never going to be good enough to be a regular at Utd.

Is he even has good a player as he was at 19 now days?

He's 3rd choice CF (Maybe even 4th?) and probably 3rd choice LW.

There was clearly potential when he arrived but he hasn't got close to fulfilling it that's the gamble when you buy potential wind the clock back to 2016 the two young superstars of French football were Martial and Ousmane Dembele both have had big moves that didn't come off.

As it stands I'd say he's 4th choice centre forward behind Ronaldo, Cavani and Greenwood. Cavani will leave this summer for me the club should be open to offers in January even if he just gets out on loan somewhere.

As a player if he's got serious ambitions as a player he should be telling his agent to get him a move out of Utd as quick as possible.

It's odd because in the first full season under Ole it really looked like things were starting to click for Martial think he get up around 20 goals that season but last season he was awful even the basic stuff you can normally rely on him for which is his finishing just isn't really there anymore.

The biggest issue I have with him is when he's playing badly he just doesn't even look like he wants the ball he looks lost on the pitch you look at the top players even if they're having shockers they look for the ball. I know it's very high standards but you watch Ronaldo and Cavani even when it's not happening for them they still want the ball all the time and keep trying things to be a top player you have to have that mentality and I don't think Martial has it.

With Martial you can tell within the first 10 minutes if he's going to have any impact on a match if he hasn't done something eye catching in the first 10 minutes you know he's going to do naff all in the rest of the game.

Premier League: Manchester United 1-0 West Ham United - 22nd January 2022

Nice little cameo.

There has and always will be a top player somewhere in there. Nice little cameo yesterday like Bob said.

I highly doubt his future is here but he can still make some telling contributions to our season I’m sure.

Let’s hope it convinces someone to take him off our hands and pay his wages.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back