Anthony Martial | Match Discussion thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd agree with it. I'd also say Cavani looks the better player off the bench. Makes more of an impact when coming on than Martial does.

I'd have Martial starting most games with Cavani coming off the bench.

I really fancied Martial yesterday. To me he looks like he's about to burst in to one of his streaks.

Manchester United 0-2 Manchester City - 6th January 2021

He’s form has improved of late but was really poor.

I think he is a bit of a flat track bully. Centre forward is possibly the position we most need to look at. To be fair Rashford was poo too.

Martial should be a squad player for Manchester United, nothing more. Not our main striker ffs. He isnt good enough and never will be.
Fecking twinkle toes

Always wants one touch too many, not got a strikers instinct. I'd much prefer Greenwood in the central position.

He really needed to follow up last season with another good one to prove he is the real deal.

What he’s shown is he isn’t consistent enough so I think the search will be on for a new striker in the summer.

Premier League Fulham 1-2 Man Utd

Poor tonight back on the wing and just didn’t really get involved and make things happen wasn’t in tune with his team mates looks low on confidence.

It’s like Zlatan has rocked up and stolen his shirt number again has the presence of Cavani knocked his confidence?

Feels like it’s one step forward one step back with this guy he’s at an age now where he isn’t a kid we need to see a much more consistent level of performance from him.

Premier League Fulham 1-2 Man Utd

Poor tonight back on the wing and just didn’t really get involved and make things happen wasn’t in tune with his team mates looks low on confidence.

It’s like Zlatan has rocked up and stolen his shirt number again has the presence of Cavani knocked his confidence?
Instead of sulking maybe he should watch the match again to study Cavani, who I thought gave a masterclass in being a number 9.

The question we need to ask is: would we miss him if he wasn't at the club?

We definitely need a striker in the mould of Cavani. Got to say, wasn't impressed when we signed him. He's won me over

Reactions: RVN
Man Utd 1 - 2 Sheff Utd 27th Jan 2021

Stunk up the joint again last night worst thing is he doesn't even look bothered just looks like his confidence has totally gone no idea what's happened to him this season but he's having a real stinker.

Has the Cavani signing upset him?

He's playing his way out the door again if I was the manager I'd be letting him go all the talent in the world but if he can't be bothered to give you the bare minimum which is effort and a bit of grit and determination then you've got to move him on.

He was not the only one last night but he is the one who every week isn't stepping up when others are and he's the one not putting in the work for the team when things aren't happening for him.

Man Utd 1 - 2 Sheff Utd 27th Jan 2021

Stunk up the joint again last night worst thing is he doesn't even look bothered just looks like his confidence has totally gone no idea what's happened to him this season but he's having a real stinker.

Has the Cavani signing upset him?

He's playing his way out the door again if I was the manager I'd be letting him go all the talent in the world but if he can't be bothered to give you the bare minimum which is effort and a bit of grit and determination then you've got to move him on.

He was not the only one last night but he is the one who every week isn't stepping up when others are and he's the one not putting in the work for the team when things aren't happening for him.
My thoughts on him can be summed up by one of the things you said there @jsp - Has the Cavani signing upset him ?

If that is the case then he needs to f##k1ing grow up, he should be thriving to work alongside a guy who has played elite level football for the last 10 years, not spitting his dummy out thinking "He is coming in to replace me"
Even with the age difference Cavani knocks spots of Martial for work rate and that is something that is very noticeable for all to see, embarrassing on Martials part.

Luke Shaw is a fine example, did he moan about Alex Telles coming in, no he didn't, he pulled his finger out his arse and worked hard to cement the LB spot as his - which he has done. He also made a comment about needing/wanting to bring in quality players to add to the group - which is the right mentality to have.

Do you think the Liverpool players were moaning about Thiago being added to their group of players, no chance - as they're adding quality to an already title winning squad.

If Martial starts against Arsenal then I'll be flabbergasted, hopefully in the coming months we can bring Diallo into the team gradually on that right hand side and have Cavani as No1 option at centre forward with Mason to come in as back up (Mason has already commented how much he is learning from Cavani)

But of course that all depends how well Diallo can perform as he is still only very young, but Martial doesn't feature in the plans IMO.

Prove me wrong Anthony.

Martial needs replacing without doubt. He's had enough chances.

My thoughts on him can be summed up by one of the things you said there @jsp - Has the Cavani signing upset him ?

If that is the case then he needs to f##k1ing grow up, he should be thriving to work alongside a guy who has played elite level football for the last 10 years, not spitting his dummy out thinking "He is coming in to replace me"

Yeah that's pure speculation but he's looked sulky in seasons when the club have signed a big name striker last year and his first year when he had a free run at the centre forward spot he was buzzing and a brilliant player. Maybe he's a guy who needs constant reassurance and love from his boss when he sees the new guy turn up he thinks the boss doesn't love him anymore.

It's like he just doesn't believe in himself enough to see off competition. Top strikers wouldn't be bothered who you sign they would still tell you they're better than him. People laugh at him but Michael Owen believed in his head he was better than every striker at Madrid when he signed he said you need to have that attitude that I'm the best this is my spot and no one takes it from me.

You hear the ruthless streak in our old team when new guys came in Rio talked about it if a new centre back came in he'd make sure that new guy knew if you want my spot come and take it I won't just give it to you. As you said look at what competition seems to have done for Shaw.

I just think with Martial he probably thinks if he was to leave he'd have his pick of the elite clubs when really like Depay he'd be leaving tail between his legs and having to start over at a club like Lyon. Great club but if he left he'll be leaving taking a step back not a step forward.

He won't.

Hasn't got the fight to earn his spot in the side and even when he does play, does not have the mentality or desire to drive the team to win at all costs.
No mate, I dont have any reason to believe he will, as @Mr C mentioned, he's had enough chances now.

we need to move on from him as you will never win a premier league playing him as your main striker.

West Brom 1-1 Man Utd

Poor again just looks like he’s lost all confidence doesn’t want the ball and doesn’t seem to believe that he can hurt the opponent.

If we had more options he wouldn’t be anywhere near the pitch at the moment.

Premier League: Man City 0-2 Man United

Why can’t he play like this every week? Thought he was astounding, shame he couldn’t round it off with a goal.

Was fuming when he missed that one vs one what has happened to this lads finishing?

He was excellent today though held the ball brilliantly and gave them loads of problems he will be gutted he didn’t take that chance.

Him finding form would be a big boost for us going into the business part of the season

It will take a lot more than that to convince me we can afford to keep this guy around. He has had plenty of time to prove himself. Ole has been very generous to him. He is failing the club, badly!

He can stick around but he shouldn’t be the first choice as you said @Shot you can’t trust him

He can stick around but he shouldn’t be the first choice as you said @Shot you can’t trust him
He would only sulk if he was a regular bench warmer, become less effective and probably have a negative effect on camp harmony. That's his make up.

Premier League: Man City 0-2 Man United

Why can’t he play like this every week? Thought he was astounding, shame he couldn’t round it off with a goal.
Unfortunately that's been the question for a few years now. He turns it on and off it seems.

Can't really see him going anywhere because of his wages who realistically is going to buy him but Utd can't be relying on him next season as a starting player.

Clearly has talent but just doesn't show it regularly enough he either needs to leave or be used in more of a squad role next season.

Had quite a few injuries this season plus that early ban for the red card and just hasn't got going at all.

He needs sellng for me, but in his defence, the service is pretty bad.

Yeah I think most fans are at that point with him a few want to hang on to hope with him but needing to sell is one thing having a buyer is another.

I think he's had enough chances he had a good season last year but to follow it up with this is so dissapointing he's 25 now so youth is no longer an excuse 36 appearences only 7 goals just isn't anywhere near good enough from your main striker.

What has really dissapointed me this season with him is his quality of finishing normally such a reliable finisher this season he's been really poor when the chances have falled to him.

Solskjaer has said that Martial will miss the rest of the season.

Been in rotten form but we are so short of numbers that he will be missed.

It will be interesting to see how we go for the rest of the season without having him as an option. It may well be we wont see him in a United shirt again.

It will be interesting to see how we go for the rest of the season without having him as an option. It may well be we wont see him in a United shirt again.

Can’t see him going anywhere our board would want a big fee and he’s on big wages.

Just don’t see who’d buy him

Im not so sure. If Ole decides he needs replacing he will get rid just like he has previously done with others on big salaries and with bigger reputations.

Got to find buyers though he has struggled to get players out like every manager but based on his performances next season Martial should not be a player we are relying on next season and I reckon Ole sees it that way too.

The only way he leaves is if he decides to force a move.

Given we are short in attack my guess is Martial stays but hopefully Ole can reinforce the squad so that he’s got to fight for a starting spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back