Premier League 0
FA Cup 0
League Cup 0
Europa League 0

Previous Seasons

Anthony Martial | Match Discussion thread 2015/16

Premier League: Bournemouth 1-3 Manchester United - 14th August 2016

Two assists. Better in the second half.

Looked better today than he had in pre-season games he played.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-0 Southampton - 19th August 2016

Actually thought in the second half he was outstanding and should of had a goal or 2!! His pace and direct play will really be great weapon for this team as the season goes on. Just think the team need to learn to use him a little bit more. Too much goes down the right or the middle when he's such a lively player.

He looked lively in the second half. Like he is just getting rid of those cobwebs he accumulated on the France bench over the summer.

Premier League: Hull City 0-1 Manchester United - 27th August 2016

He's had a slow start to the season.

And rightly so. Up to him to react then. Personally I think he needs to be taken out of the team and it'll benefit him, I don't think he's physically right at the minute, I think maybe a long season for club and country at his age has taken it's toll on him and he needs a bit of downtime. His role is a little different this season too, a bit deeper and more players marking him, he's not our main man this season either. Things going o his personal life may also be affecting him mentally. As seen today, others have shown they can come in and replace him, no one's place is safe.

And rightly so. Up to him to react then. Personally I think he needs to be taken out of the team and it'll benefit him, I don't think he's physically right at the minute, I think maybe a long season for club and country at his age has taken it's toll on him and he needs a bit of downtime. His role is a little different this season too, a bit deeper and more players marking him, he's not our main man this season either. Things going o his personal life may also be affecting him mentally. As seen today, others have shown they can come in and replace him, no one's place is safe.

What's going on in his personal life mate?! I haven't read or seen any rumors on that front. But yeah he certainly doesn't seem himself right now. He's not going to players and trying to go past them like he did last year. He had a good patch against Soton last week where he was a threat but even then he was pretty wasteful.

Friendly: Italy 1-2 France - 1st September 2016

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That's fantastic for 2 reasons, a confidence boost for Martial who's been by his standards quite poor so far this season. And that Pogba pass. Great that the 2 have linked up for a goal for France, hopefully bodes well for us and they can do it in United shirts.

It's great that Martial was amongst the goals and it was a well taken one at that... Not sure the Pogba pass was meant for him though?

Premier League: Manchester United 1-1 Stoke City - 2nd October 2016

Top finish.

Really good finish and thought he livened things up for us when he came on. He was direct and ran at people and hopefully that goal gives him confidence because my God this team needs him to find his form again.

Europa League: Manchester United 3-0 Fenerbahce - 20th October 2016

Premier League: Manchester United 1-1 Arsenal - 19th November 2016

Has been criticised for his showing yesterday but I thought he was quite good - at least looked to make things happen. Was very disappointed he went off when he did - he's clearly trying to feel his way back into form/confidence and he's not going to get there by getting hauled off early every game.

Martial did well I thought, not sure criticism was at yesterday's performance but for his form this season. People expect more after last season. Think both he and Rashford are struggling for fitness at the moment, need to get Mkhitaryan involved on Thursday.

Thought he was good, given that he hasn't played for a while. Was always looking to drive forward, worked hard down that wing and tried play positive football the whole game. I think that with another couple of games under his belt, he will be at his best again. The talent this United team is ridiculous, if we as fans will only give them time top grow into it, so that it can sustain it. Aside from trying to find Carrick 2.0 to run the midfield and balance the game, I think that we have a league winning team in the making.

Glad that Jose' is ruling with a firmness, as some players have gone soft. It will teach the youngsters that they have to earn every game and it seems to have shown the older players, that the club will always come before the players. Just look at Rooney when he has been on the field.

Martial one of very few that prospered under Van Gaal so only natural he's struggling. Things in his personal life haven't helped, and he was unhappy with the shirt number change too. As with others, a spell out of the side might help him.

League Cup: Manchester United 3-1 West Ham United - 30th November 2016

Top finish. Nice from Valencia and Mkhitaryan.

Top pass by Ibrahimovic.

He was very good tonight. Looked like the martial of last season. Hope he builds on this and kicks on this season.

He definitely looks a lot more like the Martial of last year... Whatever someone has said its working as he is going at players again and looking to get beyond them.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-1 Middlesbrough - 31st December 2016

I thought he was our best attacker.

It's like watching the old days of big man little man! What a good old fashioned goal. Great vision and ball by Pogba and a great knock down for another assist by Ibra. Good movement off the ball too. So should Martial be played to front more? That's what he could bring but then how do we fit that system with the players we have.

He was man of the match for me. Had the right back Chambers on toast throughout and then when Jose went with 3 at the back and 2 up, he and Rashford alternated which caused havoc. Should have scored before hand but a top finish in the end.

Extremely happy with his performance today. Put all that transfer rumor non sense to bed and perform like this on a consistent basis. Lovely strength & aggression from him. Bravo kid.

Anthony Martial: Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho tells forward to listen to him

"He is a player with amazing conditions to be a top player. Martial played, he created, he scored. He fought. He was very positive. I know he is a top talent. I knew Mkhitaryan is a top talent but I was not playing him. At this moment he even plays left back when the team is winning and we need to defend and need more balance. Martial has to listen to me and not his agent. He has to listen to me in training every day and in every feedback I give to try and improve him. The Mkhitaryan process I was having almost every day. His agent was calling me saying, 'Mkhitaryan with you will be a better player, keep going'. With Martial every day I read the newspaper, 'Anthony Martial goes to Sevilla, Anthony Martial goes on loan, Anthony Martial is not happy'. Anthony Martial has to listen to me."

Mourinho not happy.

Premier League: West Ham United 0-2 Manchester United - 2nd January 2017

I'm sure Martial will have been really disappointed to have been left out last night? I get that he played the full game against Boro and I get rotation but it's things like this which will have him doubting what future he's got here? He played so well against Boro and took his goal so well... Given how little he's played I'm sure he could have played at least an hour against West Ham?

It's hard to question Jose given we won... On that basis he got the selection right. But from the players view I'm sure he's contemplating things again?

I read that he picked up a knock against Boro and wasn't 100%, you might recall him going down injured just before he scored. He has struggled a bit with injuries this season so not sure 2 games in 3 days ideal for him.

I read that he picked up a knock against Boro and wasn't 100%, you might recall him going down injured just before he scored. He has struggled a bit with injuries this season so not sure 2 games in 3 days ideal for him.

OK I can believe that... Though why would he be on the bench is he's not fit? And Jose said that he was going to bring him on before they brought on Andy Carroll... At that point he decided to go defensive with Smalling. But if he's not fully fit then I don't think he should be on the bench.

I can see why he didn't play, 2 games in 3 days isn't that easy and some players feel it more than others. Lingard tends to be anonymous for large parts of games so I do think Mourinho's two wide players will be Martial and Mkhitaryan. I really hope the lad can start to find some form because to be honest a fit and firing Martial will make us even better than we are currently.

FA Cup: Manchester United 4-0 Reading - 7th January 2017

He's been absolute class recently, back to his form of last season. Has to start v Liverpool, just a shame Skrtel won't be there to be sat down again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back