Anthony Elanga | Match Discussion thread 2021/22

Justin Cider

Impressive 30 minute run out for the kid, didn't let United down and didn't give the Palace defenders a minutes peace.

Love to see Ralf Rangnick play Elanga and Amad flanking Greenwood against the Young Boys midweek with D. van Beek or Shola Shoretire behind them in what is a dead rubber, which would allow Ronaldo, Rashford, Sancho and Bruno to put their feet up in readiness for Norwich City on Saturday teatime.

Sounds like he impressed the manager in training and a few injuries gave him a chance to get on the bench which he's taken.

Good on him.

Premier League: Aston Villa 2-2 Manchester United - 14th January 2022

Decent hardworking performance. Hopefully he starts the next game.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thought he battled hard looked the most likely to make something happen just through pure endeavour.

I can see why Rangnick likes him and he’s earned a little run in the team.

Took his goal well.

Really impressively taken goal. His first touch was very good and then had the presence of mind to head it in. Overall a quiet performance but did have one burst into the box. For a young player though he’s doing well.

Didn’t take the first chance but got the second one will be buzzing tonight.

Rhythm is a Dancer!

More proof if needed that our Academy is failing, and our scouts haven't got a clue what they are doing.

Glad he mocked the Leeds fans with his finger to the lips celebration.

He definitely has something about him this kid. Fluffed his first chance on his weaker foot but the second one was highly composed.

I wonder if we will see him in the World Cup. To be honest not even sure if Sweden have qualified as of yet but if they have, I think he’s got to be pushing his case strongly.

Can’t be far off an international call up they are in the playoffs which I think are next month

Not convinced he has the quality to become a regular starter but he should be a very good squad player.

Not convinced he has the quality to become a regular starter but he should be a very good squad player.
I think it’s always hard to tell with a young player just starting out. I think he has the raw ingredients to be a player like Mane - and perhaps Ralf has seen this in him and that’s why he is giving him lots of chances.

We know he has some bottle and character around him. It’s just elevating his other areas to a high standard. I think he has a bright future.

It's a long road we'll know where he ends up in 2 or 3 seasons and there will be lots of ups and downs along the way fans need to remember that very few players come in and sustain the level of the stars straight away. Rashford is a great example he's had a real setback this season which I'm sure we all hope he'll come out the other side of.

The positive for me is after he missed that chance he didn't shrink and after he took that coin to the head in the celebration of the 3rd goal he didn't shrink. He went back for the next chance buried it then gave it back to the Leeds fans in his celebration. That tells me there's a certain mental toughness to the kid that any Utd player will need to see them through the hard times.

Opportunity has come to him thanks to a number of reasons loans, suspensions and loss of form from other players and he's grabbed the chance.

He missed a chance, he got lucky with the goal, through the keepers legs, should have gone to the side.

But I've not seen enough of him to make my mind up either way.

He missed a chance, he got lucky with the goal, through the keepers legs, should have gone to the side.

But I've not seen enough of him to make my mind up either way.

Nah he's put that through his legs on purpose it's an easy finish when the keeper does that split leg style easiest thing is through the legs as long as you time it right the keeper has no chance.

Yeah it's way to early just think back to players like Januzaj or Wilson who had a little spell in the spotlight before fading away but there's something there and he deserves to keep getting chances.

The test as always will be how he handles the set back it's fair to say if you look at Rashford his progress hasn't been a constant upwards curve he's currently really struggling it's how you handle these spells that will determine the level you can reach.

Nah he's put that through his legs on purpose it's an easy finish when the keeper does that split leg style easiest thing is through the legs as long as you time it right the keeper has no chance.

Yeah it's way to early just think back to players like Januzaj or Wilson who had a little spell in the spotlight before fading away but there's something there and he deserves to keep getting chances.

The test as always will be how he handles the set back it's fair to say if you look at Rashford his progress hasn't been a constant upwards curve he's currently really struggling it's how you handle these spells that will determine the level you can reach.

Problem with Januzaj and Wilson(and Pereira) is they thought they'd already made it, though with Wilson it was more his injuries than his attitude that derailed him. Januzaj and Pereira had one foot out the door when they started showboating when they went back to the 21s/23s, something I can't imagine Elanga doing, he will think, and rightly so it was just another part of his development.

Elanga has got his head screwed on, he knows he'll have to work twice as hard to stay around the first-team than he did to get to just get there, and the way he gave it to the Leeds fans after scoring at the weekend suggest being racially abused online recently hasn't affected him one bit and this is his stage and if people don't like it, it's tough t*ts, it's their problem.

Only illness or injury will stop the guy getting to the very top in his profession, hopefully it's at United.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Great move to get one on one but I think he's completely scuffed that. Worked out lovely though.

The most impressive thing was the move to get in behind.

Yeah he has some impressive movement off the ball. A lot is made of movement with the ball but Elanga looks to have a good footballing brain when he doesn’t have the ball. Really promising lad.

The keeper made it very easy just needed to hit it across him and it was a nailed on goal.

Great run to get into that position for the chance so deserved the bit of luck.

Premier League: Manchester United 0-0 Watford - 26th February 2022

He was very good. He was positive, played with tempo and linked play. He’s playing with confidence.

Made his debut for Sweden last night came on as a late sub in the win over Czech Republic.

Great camera work at the Sweden match the other night, when Elanga was getting ready to come on it cut to a woman probably in her 30's pointing and mouthing "it's Anthony, it's Anthony, it's Anthony, it's Anthony" Calm down dear!

Man Utd 3-2 Norwich

Created one yesterday for Ronaldo and think he also won the free kick that Ronaldo scored from but caught napping for the first Norwich goal didn’t stay with his man allowed him a totally free cross.

Needs to polish up the defensive side of his game a bit you can’t afford to switch off at this level as even the worst side can and will punish you.

He doesn't create enought chance from the right, but he press well the fullback. Look a little lost, close to tour own goal, like you said. I liked him more as a LW or ST. But we need him in the RW cause we have no one who can play the position, except Lingard maybe.

Think he’s got huge potential to be an out and out striker - he’s got really good pace and movement. He’s learning his trade a little out on the wings for us but can really see him progressing to that striker role.

Just about getting time on the pitch and learning the ropes at this level.

mistakes will be made but hopefully he learns quickly and doesn’t repeat them.

Being flexible in forward positions will help him get the minutes he needs.

Apparently for the first goal yesterday the age gap between the creator Elanga and the goalscorer Ronaldo is the biggest in United's history.

Premier League: Liverpool 4-0 Man United

Playing in this team for a few months has already knocked the youthful exuberance out of him.

He deserve my praise. Atleast he tried, he pressed, he runned, he tracked back. He almost scored from that Sancho pass. Good for a young in his first year, keep going Elanga.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back