Andre Onana | Match Discussion Thread 2023/24

So many goalkeeping experts, the guy has made it to the very top of his profession ffs, I think he's got a good idea what works or doesn't work for him by now ....

If only there was a top goalkeeper like Big Pete who analysed his technique and said it’s awful.

If only there was a top goalkeeper like Big Pete who analysed his technique and said it’s awful.

And? It's widely accepted PS is a knob, and like most of the recent legends(Hi Gary, hi Paul, hi Roy) who are all far too keen to take the wonga to diss current United players, which is something none of them ever had to deal with.

Could you imagine Sir Bobby Charlton, Denis Law, Paddy Crerand et al doing it, that'll be a no then!

Simple Peter said :rolleyes:

And? It's widely accepted PS is a knob, and like most of the recent legends(Hi Gary, hi Paul, hi Roy) who are all far too keen to take the wonga to diss current United players, which is something none of them ever had to deal with.

Could you imagine Sir Bobby Charlton, Denis Law, Paddy Crerand et al doing it, that'll be a no then!

Simple Peter said :rolleyes:

Fair. You must know a lot more than Schmeichal when it comes to goalkeeping technique.

Fair. You must know a lot more than Schmeichal when it comes to goalkeeping technique.

Way to miss a point.

If you asked 20 former PL keepers most if not all would be reluctant to blame him for the first goal yesterday in hindsight. Big Pete far too important to be in the goalkeepers union said what the questioner wanted him to say. It's not rocket science.

Way to miss a point.

If you asked 20 former PL keepers most if not all would be reluctant to blame him for the first goal yesterday in hindsight. Big Pete far too important to be in the goalkeepers union said what the questioner wanted him to say. It's not rocket science.

Literally the only one asked has said it was a mistake.

But no former PL goalkeepers would? Make it make sense. Haha. You’re ridiculous.

awful keeping.

But I try not to criticise too much recently.

I’d say Ramsdale saves it 90/100

awful keeping.

But I try not to criticise too much recently.

I’d say Ramsdale saves it 90/100
Really? Evans was sold a bit of a dummy but Bentancur absolutely rifled it home, was past him before he knew it.

Ramsdale also isn’t the best comparison. If you had said a better keeper I may have found it a little more believable.

It looked like he turned his head away from the shot. But we don't get replays

I don’t rate Onana at all, our defence isn’t great but he‘s a very average shot stopper and that’s being generous.

Really? Evans was sold a bit of a dummy but Bentancur absolutely rifled it home, was past him before he knew it.

Ramsdale also isn’t the best comparison. If you had said a better keeper I may have found it a little more believable.

I used Ramsdale deliberately because that’s the level of keeper I think regularly saves it.

He could have stood up to it but think most keepers will crouch down in that position as they expect a low shot.

Bentancur has leathered it from close range and got it pretty high. I’d say good finish rather than bad goalkeeping.

I would be looking at the way 1 pass took out our entire midfield and how neither Eriksen or Bruno got anywhere near getting back to defend.

I do have to say I am looking forward to see how Bayindir fares in goal.

Should've done better for the second but overall a good first-half of the season from him. There's a lot more to come .....

Should've done better for the second but overall a good first-half of the season from him. There's a lot more to come .....
Really? He's clearly unable to do the job he was brought in to do. His distribution from the back couldn't be much worse. Long passing abysmal, and when the players start to pass it about at back his decisions look very questionable. This was supposed to be the keeper that could match Edison, but the reality is the opposite. Maybe it's a confidence thing or maybe he hasn't settled yet, but either way there is no way he's had a good first half of the season.

Really? He's clearly unable to do the job he was brought in to do. His distribution from the back couldn't be much worse. Long passing abysmal, and when the players start to pass it about at back his decisions look very questionable. This was supposed to be the keeper that could match Edison, but the reality is the opposite. Maybe it's a confidence thing or maybe he hasn't settled yet, but either way there is no way he's had a good first half of the season.

Yes, really.

With that second goal when they slowed down the replay it looked like Onana tried to get out of the way. I know that’s not what he did but it’s how it looked.

I think he’s gotten better but he’s still not the commanding GK that the better teams need. He doesn’t command his box at all.

Think if we're calling this the half way point it's been disappointing for the fee we paid and the reputation he had you expect a lot more.

It hasn't been easy for him to settle in the back 4 changes literally every game and he's also made some high profile errors that have cost the team in Europe.

He needs to show in the second half of the season a lot of improvement.

It's the same defenders as last year, and if you asked them individually if they felt more secure knowing Onana was behind them(if they needed to go back) rather than De Gea every single one of them would say Yes!

Baby steps.

We won't see the best of Onana till next season, whoever the Manager is.

I have supported Onana this season because it’s ridiculous to write off a player after a few months. Mount and Højlund would already be on the scrap heap if ETH took advice from SEA!

However, his mistakes have been glaring this season. It’s not like he’s some young kid learning his way in the game. It doesn’t matter if he hasn’t got a settled defence in front of him, he has some shocking errors all off his own back.

I think we could upgrade him, however I think there are more pressing concerns and maybe with better players in front of him he can get a little more protection.

I have supported Onana this season because it’s ridiculous to write off a player after a few months. Mount and Højlund would already be on the scrap heap if ETH took advice from SEA!

However, his mistakes have been glaring this season. It’s not like he’s some young kid learning his way in the game. It doesn’t matter if he hasn’t got a settled defence in front of him, he has some shocking errors all off his own back.

I think we could upgrade him, however I think there are more pressing concerns and maybe with better players in front of him he can get a little more protection.
But the kicking. His kicking is so awful. If you want a player to fit into a possesion based side, which I'm assuming we want to be... then he must make much better short and long passes, or it's just the same as all season. Back to onana, give the opposition the ball back... rinse and repeat. I just don't see this working. The point being, I can see him improving a lot of things like positioning, command of his area, but I really don't see why his kicking is always so bad... that's hardest to improve IMO. You can either play keep ball and kick it where you want, or you can't....

these are PL only numbers compares 6 months of Onana to De Gea‘s final season

His save percentage is very similar to De Gea 71% vs 70% both keepers average 3 saves per game.

Pass completion he is ahead 74% to 68%

Passes per game 35 per game to 29 per game.

So Onana is attempting more passes per game and completing more of them than the previous keeper. I think with Martinez back he will make even more passes with more accuracy because we will play shorter more often. His long passing is not good and I expect it to be better.

The stats are skewed because most of Onana’s bad games were in European games.

Onana being better doesn't make that a good thing - both are horrific at playing keep ball at the back. He still has until the end of the season to improve this though so I'm not fully counting him out.

Onana I think is brilliant at playing keep ball at the back he is miles better than De Gea ever was at it, he just can’t kick it long.

His passing along the floor is good but the moment he has to play it in the air over 30-40 yards it is not good regularly sails out of play.

Onana I think is brilliant at playing keep ball at the back he is miles better than De Gea ever was at it, he just can’t kick it long.

His passing along the floor is good but the moment he has to play it in the air over 30-40 yards it is not good regularly sails out of play.
I'm yet to see it, he always looks in 18 minds, and gives the ball away. The defenders do not look confident around him either. Honestly, think he should just pick the ball up sometimes. Even most times.

I'm yet to see it, he always looks in 18 minds, and gives the ball away. The defenders do not look confident around him either. Honestly, think he should just pick the ball up sometimes. Even most times.

You've obviously not been paying attention then, he takes his time because there's always the possibility a better pass might open up, if you prefer De Gea's hot potato shit gotta get rid fine.

Think they're bricking it that he might actually give them the ball :D as apart from Martinez I don't think any of them want the ball off him close to goal, they want him to play long.

What do you mean pick it up?

Think there's a chance for him to look for quick throws out to the wide players sometimes when he collects a cross or holds a shot but I think the idea is we want the opponent to press us as that brings them up the pitch. The problem is when he then goes over the press with his kicks they don't seem to be anywhere near a free man.

I'm putting a lot of faith in Martinez making it work as without him I do think the team looks to be more direct from the restart.

You've obviously not been paying attention then, he takes his time because there's always the possibility a better pass might open up, if you prefer De Gea's hot potato shit gotta get rid fine.
I very much am paying attention. I've watched every game this season and I'm not seeing this keeper you two are seeing. Yes he's better than De Gea with his feet, but on the whole when it goes back to him he ends up in a bad mess with the ball going to a defender, sure, but usually in a bad position with no support, we lose the ball out of play and it's the same difference. Even his medium kicking is very bad, and he thinks he has two feet, but I don't see that either. He's just kicking the football with both feet and hoping it goes to one of our players.

Think they're bricking it that he might actually give them the ball :D as apart from Martinez I don't think any of them want the ball off him close to goal, they want him to play long.

What do you mean pick it up?

Think there's a chance for him to look for quick throws out to the wide players sometimes when he collects a cross or holds a shot but I think the idea is we want the opponent to press us as that brings them up the pitch. The problem is when he then goes over the press with his kicks they don't seem to be anywhere near a free man.

I'm putting a lot of faith in Martinez making it work as without him I do think the team looks to be more direct from the restart.
They are scared of the ball no doubt, and that doesn't help Onana. I am in his corner over that, but if you don't have the players to play this way then why has ETH bought him? It's another mistake. Onana is being made to look even worse because of them, but I can only call what I see - which is all of them trying to play keep ball and failing, Onana must be put in this bracket with them as he's the one that should be starting the attacks in some cases... the players will play all the way back to find space, and stretch a press, ultimately Onana then has to pick the right option and play that pass. He is not doing this and you can't say, bah blah it's because Martinez isn't here, or it's because we don't have the players, you have to call what you see, not what could be.

What do I mean pick the ball up? I mean pick the damn ball up. He shouldn't need to, but he scares the life out of me. He's a risk taker, I remember him in the centre of the pitch in the Bayern game for no reason at all. He's nightmare fuel.

They are scared of the ball no doubt, and that doesn't help Onana. I am in his corner over that, but if you don't have the players to play this way then why has ETH bought him? It's another mistake. Onana is being made to look even worse because of them, but I can only call what I see - which is all of them trying to play keep ball and failing, Onana must be put in this bracket with them as he's the one that should be starting the attacks in some cases... the players will play all the way back to find space, and stretch a press, ultimately Onana then has to pick the right option and play that pass. He is not doing this and you can't say, bah blah it's because Martinez isn't here, or it's because we don't have the players, you have to call what you see, not what could be.

What do I mean pick the ball up? I mean pick the damn ball up. He shouldn't need to, but he scares the life out of me. He's a risk taker, I remember him in the centre of the pitch in the Bayern game for no reason at all. He's nightmare fuel.

Think the big thing with ETH is he was bought in to change the playing style of Utd move away from counter attack and into a possession based side but that means changing pretty much the entire squad as so many players are going to struggle to adapt to that new way of playing.

I think he's bought him because this is the way he wants his keeper to play but everyone needs to buy into playing that way or it won't work. There's no point kicking it long as he's got no one to go long to as none of the attackers are good in the air and most of the time you are just giving the opponent the ball back.

I think it's just something they need to persist with and get much better at. I only go back to Martinez because it was working a lot better in those early games especially away at Arsenal but since his injury we have had to adapt the way we do it because of the players he has.

Most of the time he has the ball at his feet he can't pick it up because it's from a back pass or a goal kick.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back