Ander Herrera to face match-fixing probe from Spanish officials

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Manchester United star Ander Herrera to face match-fixing probe from Spanish officials - Mirror Online

Ander Herrera is part of a probe into alleged match-fixing and illegal payments in Spain.

According to Spanish reports, prosecutors will next week file court papers naming Manchester United’s £28million midfield signing from Athletic Bilbao as part of their investigation.

The Spain international, who joined United last June, will be required to fly over and give evidence at the court in Valencia.

If found guilty he could face a ban or even jail. The alleged match-fixing is tied to Herrera’s time at his first club, Real Zaragoza.

The 25-year-old was part of the Zaragoza team that won 2-1 against Levante on the final day of the 2010-11 season in a must-win game to seal the club’s escape from relegation.

But a subsequent investigation by Spanish anti-corruption authorities has reportedly uncovered payments to players’ bank accounts – including that of Herrera – with former Zaragoza president Agapito Iglesias’ role under the microscope, as well as that of two club directors.

The papers are expected to be presented in Valencia early next week, accusing all 28 players who took to the field for the match on May 21, 2011 – including Swansea City winger Jefferson Montero – of being part of the alleged fix.

Three players who did not take the field are also implicated, crucially including reserve keeper Antonio Doblas, the evidence against whom the prosecution considers damning.

Manchester United refused to comment on the allegations last night.

Herrera:

In an on-going legal process involving Real Zaragoza (Spain), the club I was honoured to play from 12 until 22 years of age, there are 41 people cited as possible witnesses, of which I am one.

I have never had and will never have anything to do with manipulating match results.

If I am ever called to testify in any judicial hearing, I’ll be happy to attend, as my conscience is totally clear.

I love football and I believe in fair play, both on and off the pitch.

Had forgotten about this. Just seen someone make the point that this may be the reason he isn't playing much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back