Status
Not open for further replies.
FC Barcelona - 25/7/2015

I don't like him playing so deep.

Possibly. We'll get a clearer indication once the season starts.

More games to go around so will be in and out. Seems Van Gaal wants to play a second striker rather than an attacking mid this season.

Tottenham Hotspur - 8/8/2015

Back to the bench again. I like him further back than he was today linking the play.

Newcastle United - 22/8/2015

I'd have him in my team and so would a lot of others. Who would/should he replace though? Januzaj or one of the 2 deeper midfielders?

Well if like today you can play him alongside one more CM or you can play him as last season . Either way he has to play.

I know where he can play but I want names, who drops out? I assume people would drop Schweinsteiger/Carrick and play him alongside Schneiderlin? Can't see that happening though. And Van Gaal has said he prefers a second striker at #10 to the controlling midfielder that Herrera is.

I am a big fan of ander. I like the quickness of his passing and movement. I personally would find a place for him. I think behind the front man would be OK particularly in the big games when the number ten will have to probably drop deeper at times. If lvg is unprepared to play him as a proper midfield player and he will only play an attacker as number ten then the fairest thing to do is let him go. Personally I find that scandalous but I am not sure where he fits into lvg plans.

From MEN:
Van Gaal was asked why Ander Herrera hasn't been playing but hints we might see him tomorrow night.

"You shall see. We need every player because the Premier League demands so much. I have to rotate."

Club Brugge - 26/8/2015

Very rusty first half performance. I'd like to see him start at 10 on Sunday, where he was better and made a difference to the team's play in the second half.

Was better at the no. 10 position. Was wasteful with the ball in the first half. Maybe all down to him being rusty.

Dreadful first half, looked more likely to get a 2nd yellow card for slipping into another tackle than do anything good. Rustiness was no surprise. Clear his best position in this system is as a #10. Only question now is whether Van Gaal wants to use a midfielder as the #10 rather than a second striker as he's mentioned he prefers. Tonight has hopefully shown that he's more effective there than his 2 predecessors this season, Memphis and Januzaj.

Liverpool - 12th September 2015

Did well to win the penalty and a great finish to boot.

From my view I thought the penalty was fortunate. I've not had the chance to watch a reply; did Oliver make the right call?

The challenge of an inexperienced full back. You're asking for trouble making challenges like that.

Cracking pen. Needs to do more as a #10 for me but i'd argue that he probably needs a proper striker ahead of him to do so.

Definitely a penalty for me. Clever play by ander, he positioned his body so that he couldn't get to the ball.

Everton 0-3 Manchester United - 17th October 2015

Very good today in a more advanced role. Previously ineffective in cameos he's had in the role but thought he added a lot today. Might be a bit of a dilemma for van Gaal as to his best front 4 and where they play with Rooney doing well today at 9, Matial on the left, Herrera attacking midfield and Depay on the bench. Will vary depending on the opponents I suppose.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Manchester United 0-0 Manchester City - 2015

Thought he had a good game. Hard in the tackle, Skilful and tries to make things happen.

Crystal Palace 0-0 Manchester United - 31st October 2015

Poor from him at the moment

Newcastle United 3-3 Manchester United - 12th January 2016

Best 45 minutes of the season in the first half. Faded a bit in the second half.

Liverpool 0-1 Manchester United - 17th January 2016

I forgot he was playing.

I like Herrera, but he is over hyped.

I think he has been inhibited by the way we play and the fact he always seems to be the fall guy when van gaal is making substitutions.

I don't like him as a 10, prefer him deeper and given freedom to get forward. Van Gaal doesn't seem to trust him deeper though.

Thought he was the player who made us tick today and was involved in our better movements.

Why LVG decided to bring him off whilst leaving Fellaini on again is beyond me!

Definitely think he and Schneiderlin could build a great central midfield partnership. OK not in every game and not in the really big games but certainly in a lot they could. Both have great energy and can press but ones more attack minded whilst the other will protect. But I don't think LVG trusts his discipline and to be fair his tackling is a bit Scholes like! ;)

Herrera spends too much time with his back to goal when played as a 10.

I agree with bob on this. He is overrated. Very limited range of passes and not a box to box midfielder imo. Doesn't create as many chances as say a fabregas of last season.

I agree with bob on this. He is overrated. Very limited range of passes and not a box to box midfielder imo. Doesn't create as many chances as say a fabregas of last season.

A fair point but then who in the United team is creating chances? When you only create a handful a game its hard to compare

What real movement does Herrera have in front of him? Rooney doesn't really have the natural movement of a striker or make those clever runs. But given a bit of movement Herrera does create chances. Look at the sublime vision and skill to pick out Lingard against Newcastle... I'm not saying that Herrera is up there with Fabregas but he's got great potential. Herrera under a more attacking manager would absolutely thrive I'm sure of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back