Adnan Januzaj to be converted into a striker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

Manchester United want to convert Adnan Januzaj into a striker! | Daily Mail Online

Manchester United want to keep Adnan Januzaj next season and are keen on moulding him into a centre-forward.

The Belgian has played a bit-part role for United since Louis Van Gaal's arrival, raising speculation that he is surplus to requirements at Old Trafford.

But Januzaj still features in Van Gaal's long-term vision and there is a view that the 20-year-old can have a future playing centrally, rather than out wide.

Those who have worked with Januzaj at youth level believe he has the game to play through the middle for United.

And Van Gaal, who is said to still have huge faith in the forward despite his lack of playing time, is keen to experiment with the youngster in that position.

The club's pre-season tour of the United States is likely to be a perfect opportunity.

United know they need to strengthen their forward line ahead of next season. Radamel Falcao looks set to leave Old Trafford this summer, leaving Van Gaal with Robin van Persie, Wayne Rooney and rookie James Wilson as his only recognised strikers.

A move for Burnley's Danny Ings is being considered as United looked to add depth to their strikeforce.

But Januzaj, if he can convince his manager in pre-season, is also emerging as an option for Van Gaal.

Speaking last season, then-United manager David Moyes hinted at Januzaj's potential as a centre-forward.

'He [Januzaj] has the ability to go past people, inside or outside. He has quality on the ball and enough arrogance to show it.

'Adnan can become a top player. There’s a composure about him, he could be a wide player or even a centre-forward. He’s got the lot.'

Januzaj's career at United has gone off the boil in recent months after bursting on to the scene last season.

Nevertheless, United staff are committed to making him a success at Old Trafford.

The club refused to sanction a loan move for the youngster in January despite numerous enquiries, with Paris Saint-Germain interested.

Januzaj will again be the target of much attention this summer, but - at least for the early part of pre-season - United are unlikely to entertain any offers for the forward.

I'm not seeing Adnan as a striker at all. His development stalled big time due to lack of playing time and being put at wing back, striker, winger throughout the season. I think this season will be the same.

If SAF was still manager he would have been one of the first on the team sheet.

I see him as an attacking #10. A prolonged run/opportunity in the team is more beneficial at this stage, I feel. I'm not as concerned in which position (different positions will help his all round understanding) since he will be getting game time. He has the talent, he will be indifferent, but we need to be patient. Do us fans have the patience?

I like him as a centre forward. Think he can play there in the future, i'd prefer to see him out on the left at present though I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back