Aaron Wan-Bissaka | Match Discussion thread 2022/23

I still love AWB, can't understand why there's constant talk of him not being good enough. I hope he comes out fighting

The reports are Utd are willing to sell but so far there's been no real interest in him.

Think his first 2 seasons were ok but you could see the limitations to his game in possession he is nowhere near the standard of the modern full back. Last season he was awful along with many others just had a complete collapse in form and confidence.

Probably stuck with him for this season but I think he's really going to struggle to adapt to the new managers style which is about possession.

I personally don't think Dalot is that good either but he seems to be going into the season as the number 1 choice.

Very surprised the club haven't signed a right back this summer maybe ETH is going to back his coaching ability to get the best out of these two.

RB is a real weak point, I was surprised when we bought a LB because I see Shaw/Telles stronger than AWB/Dalot.

But granted, long term, both positions need adressing.

RB is a real weak point, I was surprised when we bought a LB because I see Shaw/Telles stronger than AWB/Dalot.

But granted, long term, both positions need adressing.

Felt like the left back signing was spotting an opportunity for a potential bargain.

If Malacia hadn't been on the move I'm not convinced we'd have seen a left back signed but with the world cup coming up I'm guessing Telles may have spoke to the club as he needs to be playing every week to get in that Brazil squad.

It doesn't feel like AWB/Dalot have made any noise about wanting to leave the club this summer.

I just hope AWB gets a chance under EtH, if he doesn't take that chance then fine but a chance at least

I just hope AWB gets a chance under EtH, if he doesn't take that chance then fine but a chance at least

I think everyone will get a fair crack under the new boss clean slate and all that.

It's who can grab it pretty much any player in that squad in 12 months time could be a nailed on starter or out the door it's all about who adapts to the new regime.

Definitely a mixed bag last night which kind of sums up his United career to date. His assist was fantastic and overall he looked okay but he also dallied on the ball a fair bit.

I still rate him as someone with good potential but I do think he will be on his way in January if we can bring in a back up.

Nice assist but I think he needs to move on.

He would be a good player for the mid table sides but not good enough for the top sides.

His blocks and tackling was very good, however his positioning left a lot to be desired. Aleft acres of space.

He’s done well since returning to the team. The need for a new right back in January isn’t as urgent.

Had three good games since the season resumed. I don’t think there is much between AWB and Dalot in truth, so Dalot may struggle to get his place back.

Dalot I think walks back in as soon as he’s fully fit, I don’t think he’s amazing but a much better player on the ball.

AWB has done ok since coming back out in 3 solid 6/10 performances.

Games come thick and fast if we do well in the cups both will get plenty of games in the second half of the season but I expect AWB will move on in the summer.

Dalot I think walks back in as soon as he’s fully fit, I don’t think he’s amazing but a much better player on the ball.

AWB has done ok since coming back out in 3 solid 6/10 performances.

Games come thick and fast if we do well in the cups both will get plenty of games in the second half of the season but I expect AWB will move on in the summer.

Hahaha, don't give up your day job, the kid has been immense.

Hahaha, don't give up your day job, the kid has been immense.

What is wrong with 6/10?

He’s 25 now with plenty of seasons behind him he’s not a kid anymore, he’s come back in and been fine but it’s not going to change my opinion that he’s not good enough and needs to move on.

His positioning is shocking and his first touch lets him down to often. He has his strengths but he won’t last in a side that wants to dominate possession needs to get himself back down to his level which is a mid table player.

What is wrong with 6/10?

He’s 25 now with plenty of seasons behind him he’s not a kid anymore, he’s come back in and been fine but it’s not going to change my opinion that he’s not good enough and needs to move on.

His positioning is shocking and his first touch lets him down to often.
He has his strengths but he won’t last in a side that wants to dominate possession needs to get himself back down to his level which is a mid table player.

Six suggests you think he only had an okay game. If you'd still not been in the Christmas spirit you'd probably have given him a four ;)

That shouldn't matter though when you are giving players marks out of ten, I think we need a serious upgrade on Luke Shaw but it didn't stop me giving him back-to-back 8's before the World Cup because he played very well(as Wan-Bissaka has since he came back in the team), and I never entertained knocking 2 or 3 from his match-day rating because I don't rate him ....

All players have strengths and weaknesses, and how many times in the last three games was he caught out of position, and how many times did his touch let him down??

In the last game there was once when he was caught out of position and that was as much to do with him trying to take on board EtH's instruction to narrow-down and play alongside Casemiro and Eriksen when we are in possession(both full-backs are expected to do that), and he left a gapping gap behind him, and that was as much on Varane for not anticipating earlier.

Well 5 out of 10 is average I gave him a 6 could have been a 7 my point was more that he’s put in a few decent performances against a championship side who rested players and 2 of the worst attacking sides in the prem.

He probably gets another crack tomorrow and I hope he does well but when the tougher games come round I don’t want him in the side as better players will punish his poor positioning.

If Wan-Bissaka was playing for another team would you suggest we sign him? The answer from every Utd fan to that question is no which tells you he isn’t good enough.

He’s in his 4th season at utd and he hasn’t improved the weaknesses in his game at all I think in the summer the club look to replace him In the squad.

Well 5 out of 10 is average I gave him a 6 could have been a 7 my point was more that he’s put in a few decent performances against a championship side who rested players and 2 of the worst attacking sides in the prem.

He probably gets another crack tomorrow and I hope he does well but when the tougher games come round I don’t want him in the side as better players will punish his poor positioning.

If Wan-Bissaka was playing for another team would you suggest we sign him? The answer from every Utd fan to that question is no which tells you he isn’t good enough.

He’s in his 4th season at utd and he hasn’t improved the weaknesses in his game at all I think in the summer the club look to replace him In the squad.

Okay Diogo you make some good points ....

Tut, tut, tut.

He seems to have developed some footwork all of a sudden, was good on the ball today and defended well. Hope this form continues.

Turned into Messi at one point in the second half did 3 of their players in one run, think two ended up on their backside.

Turned into Messi at one point in the second half did 3 of their players in one run, think two ended up on their backside.
Yes, but I think it was one of them moments that took even him by surprise and it seemed more luck than judgement he didnt end up on his own backside

Thought he was good again tonight a match saving tackle.

He is back to his best after 18 months of poor form.

What that means longer term I think is still undecided but having the best version of AWB back is a boost.

Having the best version of AWB may be a boost in the short term, but I an not convinced he or Dalot will be our long term RB answer. We probably need better to take us back to the top.
Have to say thought, that tackle..wow, only AWB can make tackles like that with such consistency.

Even Zaha admitted that when he was running through on goal he had a quick look and was gutted that it was AWB chasing him as he knew only AWB can make those tackles.

Don't even want to think about the next International break but if he keeps up his current form he will be knocking Southgate's door down, even if England are overendowed in his position.

Unless Walker and Trippier announce international retirement he's getting nowhere near that England side.

Unless Walker and Trippier announce international retirement he's getting nowhere near that England side.

Neither are the right-side of thirty, oft play in other positions than RB anyway(RCB/LB), and they don't have to retire just be rested as it's normal after a major tournament for Managers to refresh their squads, and bring in new blood.

Neither are the right-side of thirty, oft play in other positions than RB anyway(RCB/LB), and they don't have to retire just be rested as it's normal after a major tournament for Managers to refresh their squads, and bring in new blood.

I don't see Southgate doing that and AWB I think will need to sustain a high level for 12 months to break in as there's others in the mix as well. 18 months to the next tournament so there's time but I don't see AWB making the cut.

For left back I think Mitchell from Palace did a great job last night I can see him getting into the squad as the competition for Shaw with Chilwell out injured.

I think the World Cup will make Southgate stick with the 4-3-3 but he does need to start looking for some centre backs to replenish the squad as Coady/Dier are not the answer.

Walker/Trippier I think will hang on for 1 more tournament then you have James/TAA so there's a lot of competition.

There was some story a while back about another nation trying to get AWB to declare for them through his parents/grandparents he has other options.

Think he’s got a long way to go before he forces his way into Southgate’s thoughts. He has his trusted servants at right back and think Walker and Trippier will be around for a couple more years.

Then you have younger guys like Rico Lewis and Kyle Walker-Peters knocking on the door.

Would say he’s probably close to snubbing England altogether and opting to turn out for DR Congo.

Having the best version of AWB may be a boost in the short term, but I an not convinced he or Dalot will be our long term RB answer. We probably need better to take us back to the top.
Have to say thought, that tackle..wow, only AWB can make tackles like that with such consistency.
I shall take the opportunity to further clarify my above comment from last night.
We United supporters are a pretty loyal bunch. We sometimes blinker ourselves to deficiencies in favour of our strong will for our players to succeed and flourish with us, especially if they were academy and/or show no lack of graft and commitment.
Think of our midfield - think Fred, think McTominay. We all desperately wanted them to find consistent form, become a great midfield partnership and succeed with us. We rightfully never questioned their commitment and industry and that buys goodwill.
Now we are looking at the skills and craft of the likes of Casemiro and Eriksan we realise we were trying to build with plasticine when solid rock was needed.
So, to me it is the same with AWB, Maguire, and not least that fraud who there should be a law against - Martial.
They have all had ample time to prove themselves as Man Utd players who will help lead us out of the doldrums. We need to move on from them as opposed to being charitable in regards to their potential. That will probably benefit the referenced players as well. Lets face it, only the very talented decide to leave Manchester United. None of these players would make that decision of their own making. Why would they?

I don't see Southgate doing that and AWB I think will need to sustain a high level for 12 months to break in as there's others in the mix as well. 18 months to the next tournament so there's time but I don't see AWB making the cut.

For left back I think Mitchell from Palace did a great job last night I can see him getting into the squad as the competition for Shaw with Chilwell out injured.

I think the World Cup will make Southgate stick with the 4-3-3 but he does need to start looking for some centre backs to replenish the squad as Coady/Dier are not the answer.

Walker/Trippier I think will hang on for 1 more tournament then you have James/TAA so there's a lot of competition.

There was some story a while back about another nation trying to get AWB to declare for them through his parents/grandparents he has other options.

Just a suggestion, I don't care if he gets selected or not, and if he were to stay at United i'd hope he wouldn't be, but he was close to being picked when he was flying at the start of his United career but non-football things went against him in the end, or so the rumour was.

He played for a DR Congo under-age team way back in 2015, if I was him i'd have thrown my hand in with them after that England rejection. Not ideal for United mind with all the travelling, but ....

Poor for the first goal. His lack of awareness is a real issue add to indifferent quality on the ball means a new right back should be a priority signing in the summer.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back