6 Nations 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played with Scott (Williams) for 2-3 years in junior rugby, he used to do that sort of thing then. We were always told not to ball watch but sometimes you couldn't help it when he had the ball. Tremendous talent.

Wasn't confident of a win all week unlike many people. I was surprised how many were saying we'd win, given it was at Twickenham.

Missed the Ireland game. Aparently finished the game with Bowe in the centre, which is the way it should be imo. Earls isn't a centre.

Saw the 2nd half of England and Wales. England were unlucky but really should have taken their chances better - Corbiseiro cocked up 5 metres out and with men over and then at the end they really should have scored after creating the overlap.
That said credit to Wales for hanging in there. Still not sure about Priestland but apart from him it's a very strong team. George North is incredible.

Owen Farrell's performance is a big plus for England. His temperment is fantastic considering his age.

Priestland is a very good player, he's in poor form right now though and doesn't look as confident as he did at the WC or in the games i've seen him in for the Scarlets, had a mare for the first 60 today, did much better when he came back on from being sin binned I thought.

Farrell showed a lot more than I expected. My dad is English so I like to see them do well as long as it's not against Wales. Thought their were a lot of positives for England today and I expected it which is why I wasn't as confident as many. They need to keep Tuilagi fit though. Heading in the right direction.

Ireland unchanged for the game against France. Not sure how O'Callaghan continues to get selected but anyway. It should be an exciting game and I hope we take the game to the French. I feel they might have too much power in midfield though..... I mentioned Fofana in the Heineken Cup thread and he seems to have continued his fine form into the 6 nations. He will be a big threat. Malzieau also. Been France's best winger for a few years yet he's only getting picked now.

Very good performance. France aren't great. Slam is Wales' to lose.

England: Ben Foden; Chris Ashton, Manu Tuilagi, Brad Barritt, David Strettle; Owen Farrell, Lee Dickson; Alex Corbisiero, Dylan Hartley, Dan Cole; Mouritz Botha, Geoff Parling; Tom Croft, Chris Robshaw (captain), Ben Morgan.

Replacements: Rob Webber, Matt Stevens, Tom Palmer, Phil Dowson, Ben Youngs, Charlie Hodgson, Mike Brown.

France: Clement Poitrenaud; Vincent Clerc, Aurelien Rougerie, Wesley Fofana, Julien Malzieu; Lionel Beauxis, Julien Dupuy; Jean-Baptiste Poux, Dimitri Szarzewski, Nicolas Mas, Pascal Pape, Yoann Maestri, Thierry Dusautoir (captain), Julien Bonnaire, Imanol Harinordoquy.

Replacements:William Servat, Vincent Debaty, Lionel Nallet, Louis Picamoles, Francois Trinh-Duc, Morgan Parra, Maxime Mermoz.

This is going to be a very interesting game, both teams under new regimes. Not been impressed by France. England impressed me before the Wales game, I fancy England to win, made no changes, consistency is good. France have changed their half backs and their #8, might work for them, might not. As always with France, you never know. Hoping for an England win.

As for Wales, good to see us able to field our Lions front row for the first time in 3 years or so. Also good to see Charteris back on the bench, was a key part of the World Cup team, won more line outs and he makes a lot of tackles. Will be interesting to see how Tipuric does in Warburton's absence, one of my favourite players at the Ospreys. Unlucky to have Warburton in his way.

England beating France will help Lancasters chances of getting the job and also Wales' of winning the grand slam. The French have nothing to play for now. Didn't see the game but it sounded very exciting.

England-Ireland next week on paddys day, not working either so really looking forward to it. Hard to know what to predict, just hope hope it's an open running game.

Poor Sarkozy

article-2113522-121F1D5C000005DC-182_468x286.jpg

Brian Moore was funny on comms today, laughed at his Sarkozy comment, also said it didn't matter that Alain Rolland could speak both English and French, he's still wrong. And he was right about that. There were a few other things too.

I was right in my prediction. It was a great game, delighted England won. Hope we batter the frogs next week now, time for revenge.

As for Wales-Italy, expected that sort of game, glad Tipuric had a great game. My only worry going into the France game is Priestland, got the talent, just doesn't look the player of the World Cup at the moment.

Well done to Wales. 3 slams in 8 years is some going.

Well done to England on demolishing us yesterday also. Ireland's scrum was shocking.

What a weekend. Hangovers galore yesterday. So many players deserve special mentions, the 2 i'd like to mention most though are Dan Lydiate and Ryan Jones, 2 players who probably won't get the praise they deserve (despite getting MOTM I still don't think Lydiate got enough praise). Lydiate was menacing, incredible work for 80 minutes. Ryan Jones is probably playing his best rugby in years right now, I don't think many sides could bring someone of his calibre off the bench right now, desperately unlucky to not be starting but Lydiate's probably up there with the best #6's in the world, AWJ and Ian Evans in the 2nd row have been brilliant and we had Charteris on the bench too, Faletau has been outstanding too. He's a great player to have on the bench though as he can play 3 positions. Ian Evans is another who's been underrated, he's also surprised me, had great potential early on in his career never seemed to develop it and has lacked a bit of discipline on the field, seems to have matured and looks to have finally become the player I thought he would be. Played every single minute of the tournament alongside 3 other class second rows.

Great strength in depth developing now which is really exciting, going to get stronger too as there are some really class talents coming through, the U20s results don't show that but most of the best youngsters weren't playing for them as they were playing regional rugby.

I think Lydiate was player of the tournament. Was outstanding every time I saw him. Will be interesting to see how Wales do against Australia in June, would fancy you to win even with all the travelling but obviously depends on what squad you take. Got a lot of depth and its a young team thats only going to get better.

As for England after a slow start I think we were excellent, Lancaster has really turned it round since the world cup and if he doesn't get the job its a travesty. We were only a poor last 20 minutes off beating Wales which could have given us the grand slam. The players who have come in have been excellent. Our front row was brilliant pretty much all tournament and is young. Geoff Parling played well too when he came in, not sure about Botha but if Lawes can stay fit we could have a very strong tight 5. In the back row Morgan looks a great player, Croft will hopefully start to fulfill his massive potential, Robshaw seems a good captain but I'm still not totally convinced he's a top class openside. Dickson did well but still think Danny Care will be first choice when he sorts out his drink problems, Ben Youngs is far too slow distributing the ball out of rucks but could be a brilliant player. Farrell was excellent at 10, hard to believe he's only 20. Same for Tuilagi, they're probably going to be our 10-12 partnership for the next decade. Barritt was outstanding, brilliant defensively. Was pretty disappointed with our back 3, never really got going in the tournament. If we could get them more involved then we could be a real force at the next six nations. Our under-20's won their six nations, hopefully a few of them will progress to the first team before the world cup as well.

The turn around from the world cup has been remarkable, looking forward to the South Africa tour and the autumn internationals to see if it continues.

Australia is going to be very tough, I think we may improve as the series goes on. Australia will be fresher than us though, our players have had little rest and have worked very hard over the last 12 months. Australian players have had time off. Expectations are probably too high after the Grand Slam win. If we win the series i'll be surprised and very impressed.

Many were surprised (even English people) around here when I predicted England would beat Wales, thought England had a very good 6 Nations. For me, Lancaster deserves the job. And as you say, had England's back 3 been better it could be them with the Grand Slam. Been impressed with England's back row, Robshaw underrated in my opinion. Parling another that's impressed me. Dan Cole and Corbisiero very good. 1 or 2 changes between 1-10, centres sorted, back 3 need a kick up the arse. Dad's English so like to see England do well especially when playing France.

Lot of work to do with Ireland. Scotland gone backwards. Italy improving and game becoming more popular in Italy. Still no idea what's going on with France.

Wouldn't be so sure England have turned it around completely yet. It may sound like sour grapes but they beat Ireland on Saturday due to scrummaging. If it wasn't pissing down all day it might have been a different story because there was knock-ons every time there was contact. They are definitely moving in the right direction though - as has been pointed out the 10, 12 channel looks to have a very positive future in Farrell and Tuilagi.

Ireland badly need sort out the scrummaging situation - if Ross (as happened on Saturday) or Healy get injured we have nothing to replace them with. Tom Court is not international quality, as he keeps reminding us. If we have a fully fit 15 we are actually a very good side but it's the depth that's lacking. On a positive note Kearney and Ferris have been playing the best rugby of their lives. Earls showed potential at 13 and Donncha Ryan showed their might be life after O'Connell. Apart from that it was a dismal enough campaign.

Don't know what's the story with Scotland - they have some great prospects (Denton, Gray, Hogg) but for whatever reason they still aren't showing signs of progress. If anything they've gone backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back