Next up on the block is Luke Shaw

Appearances 20
Goals 0
Assists 3
Big Chances Created 5
Pass Completion 84%
Errors Leading to a Goal 1

Think I will give him a 4.

After the high of last season where it seemed like he made some big breakthroughs and steps forward in his career this season was back to the old Shaw sadly he's missed half the season with injury and at times looked casual and sloppy. Him and Maguire especially in the first half of the season were a disaster.

We are a better side when he plays but my patience with him is starting to wear thin he'll get another chance under the new boss but he really needs to deliver more consistently.

I think he had a pretty poor year but given i gave Dalot a 3 I think I can't go that low for Shaw. So I've given him a generous 4... :)

Shaw on form is a tough, combative player, and the best of our defenders. I don't think he's enough of a "modern" full back, in that the game really needs the full backs to launch attacks. Shaw is too cautious, doesn't like to get to the bye-line and cross, so our play constantly holds up even when we had an attack going with pace. Shaw's physicality is funny, too, in that he always looks like he's struggling to keep up and looks like he's packed on the pounds - but he's just built solidly.

Overall I'm just done wondering what kind of season Shaw is going to have, if he's going to turn up, or get injured, of retreat into his shell. I think part of our attack next season has to be full backs who can get the job done. Shaw's time is up.

I don't think he's enough of a "modern" full back, in that the game really needs the full backs to launch attacks.
I think you are right. I think he does a lot at 100 mph and doesn't have that cultured ability about him. He always seems to fly in to tackles or be full on when he's going forwards. He isn't great on the ball, he isn't going to put his foot on the ball and get his head up particularly. He feels like a head down overlapping full back who's going to get crosses in.

4 from me and that's being generous, I partly blame Roberto Carlos, that and his unprofessionalism, you don't have to walk in every Fish'n'Chip shop you pass Luke.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back