2021/22 End of Season Review - Harry Maguire

Rating out of 10

• Total voters

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
Next up it's the skipper the last of the centre backs. I'm not doing one for Jones or Bailly as they've only played a few games each.

Appearances 30
Goals 1
Assists 0
Big Chances Created 0
Pass Completion 86%
Errors Leading to Goals 1

I do defend this guy quite a bit I know plenty don't rate him but I think up until this season he's been a very good defender but this season has been a complete disaster for Maguire and we've broken him.

He had to play through rotten form because other defenders were not available through injury and it takes a brave man to keep going out there every week knowing you are off your game and it will not have helped his confidence.

Still you can only judge it by this season and for me he's a 1/10 you can't have your captain performing at that sort of level week after week.

I'm sure he'll stay at the club and hopefully a summer off and a fresh start under the new boss will get him back to his best and I'm sure like most Utd fans he will hope no one ever speaks of this season of horrors again.

He's not a bad defender but he's had a very bad year. He's been a disaster and has been a major issue.

He's not terrible, he's not bad and in fact he's probably above average. But he's not quality and he's not world class. And I'm sorry but I will not be convinced otherwise.

I've said since before United signed him that he's overrated. I thought he was good in his first year or so but he wasn't class. He was an improvement over what they had but that's really not saying a lot. I just don't think he's all that good I really don't.

I agree with both JSP and Rich.

Maguire is an average defender in this league, he's somewhere in the middle. At least, when he came to us, I'd say he's in the middle, but this season he's well below average. He was never going to be a world-beater. He has huge boots to fill, with players like McGrath, Pallister, Bruce, Stam, Rio, Vidic, et al., becoming legends at this club. He's not even at the level of Smalling, though, and that's a huge problem.

Maybe he played through an undisclosed injury, or maybe the Greek punch up fecked up his mind. Either way, he was a disaster this season. I don't trust his decision-making when he has the ball, I don't like how he reads the game and I feel he's constantly over-committing and stepping up too high and too early, he doesn't know how to show his man to the outside, gets turned like a child, is slower than an oil tanker, and his secret weapon coming into the team was his massive head that was supposed to translate into goals from corners, and he hasn't delivered. 6'4" and you don't see him dominating, it's astonishing.

If ETH brings in a CB this summer, I'd expect Maguire to [become] 3rd choice behind the new CB and Varane. I'd personally move him to 4th choice behind Lindelof as well because I just don't see Maguire correcting the errors in his game to function in an ETH team. Can anyone really say they think Maguire would work in Ajax? That's the template and that's the style, and there's no room for a limited player like Maguire. Plus, he's 29, he should have been at his peak the past couple of seasons, so it's probably all down from here.

If a decent offer came in, I'd sell him.

Maguire is an average defender in this league, he's somewhere in the middle
I'm not sure I'd quite go that far. I think he's a decent, good defender. I think for a team like say a Leicester, a Wolves, a West Ham he'd be a very good and important player. But there is a big jump from there to a team who want to fight for trophies. I just don't think he's good enough to do that I really don't.

I know people point to his performances for England... Sure he's been colossal for them. He was great in the Euros. But international football is a very different game. England dominate a lot of games, they play a lot of opposition who aren't as good as them and the whole pace is a lot slower.

I'm not sure I'd quite go that far. I think he's a decent, good defender. I think for a team like say a Leicester, a Wolves, a West Ham he'd be a very good and important player. But there is a big jump from there to a team who want to fight for trophies. I just don't think he's good enough to do that I really don't.

I know people point to his performances for England... Sure he's been colossal for them. He was great in the Euros. But international football is a very different game. England dominate a lot of games, they play a lot of opposition who aren't as good as them and the whole pace is a lot slower.
Good lord, that's quite an exaggeration. England faced a bunch of shitty teams who couldn't get near the goal, so Maguire didn't stand out negatively. But again it doesn't matter what Maguire does for England because we don't play that way and there are generally better players in every position in the England team. Maguire at United, however, has been poor. I didn't really notice him in the Leicester team but he wasn't one of the CBs I was hoping we'd sign when we were short. In his last season with them, he was middle of the pack for premier league CBs. He's only gotten much, much worse. This idea (not yours, to be fair, but said on here) that he's not only the best or 2nd best CB in this league and world class and top 5 in the world, is fecking ridiculous, like alt-universe ridiculous. I've never even read a player being so staunchly defended who is clearly so out of his depth. Whether it's his basic skill set (average) or his decision making (exceptionally poor) or his ability to lead his defense (non-existent) or his 1v1 abilities (none), it's clear we got ripped off. He's no better in his position than Telles or Dalot are in theirs. They aren't good enough, neither is Maguire.

Look I'm not using his England form to defend Maguire. In fact quite the opposite. I'm saying his form for England should not be used to defend him. International football is slower and more about control. As one of the better sides in recent years England tend to control more.

I also never bought in to this notion that he was good on the ball. I watched him before he signed for United and always said "there's a big difference between being good on the ball and being willing to do it". Just because Maguire did it never showed he was good at it.

Gave him a 5, needs a good Summer break to recharge his batteries, that's if those nice peeps at FIFA/UEFA allow it.

Sorry but anybody that gave him 1 or 2 have you ever considered maybe football isn't the game for you?

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back