Zinedine Zidane eyeing United as his next managerial career move?

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yes please! I'd like to see what he can with a team that he needs to build and mould in to his own image.

Yes please! I'd like to see what he can with a team that he needs to build and mould in to his own image.
To be honest he had the perfect opportunity to do that with Madrid. He may not have known Ronaldo would eventually leave but I think this was the summer where he could have given Madrid an overhaul but he just wasn’t feeling it clearly.

I don’t think anyone can really say he couldn’t do it in the Premier League until he actually comes here. He would definitely be a star attraction because your name and reputation is everything in football.

I’m not sold on Zidane as a manager. That team always seemed disjointed and reliant on moments of magic from players as much as anything. He’d get the same berating by the fans that Mourinho does too because he’s happy to sit back allow pressure and play on the counter.

Think he made smart bold moves with that team that the previous manager couldn't make due to club politics.

He was the man who put Casemiro into midfield and dropped James because he didn't need to play politics.

He benched Bale for Isco to create his diamond and balance the team better allowing him to get Ronaldo into a striker position with Benzema.

He rejected the move for Kepa in January because he said he didn't want to put a new keeper in half way through the season.

People like to point to the fact he had a superstar team and they're responsible but our current manager had a superstar team and in 3 attempts managed 3 semi finals.

It's very hard to judge him though as it was one club where he inherited an amazing squad that he hasn't really had to change in the 2.5 years he was there. 3 CL titles and 1 La Liga in 2.5 seasons is some going you don't just fluke that especially the CL stuff as they've had to beat some very good sides over 2 legs to do that 3 years in a row players like Isco & Modric have developed under him plus Ascensio and he can also handle the big names.

I think personality and all that he's got the lot to handle the job if we get the new structure setup but it would be a massive gamble.

There's also the style of football Zidane was an artist as a player but he was schooled in Italy tactically he was often very pragmatic made his team very hard to play against when you had the ball then relied on his A list talent to unlock you when they did have it. Very similar style to what Mourinho does.

I’m not entirely sold on Zidane as a manager but I think he has plenty of good traits that would make him a good candidate.

I watched a fair amount of Madrid in his time there and I don’t think he particularly had much faith in his defence a lot like Jose does here. Ramos and Marcelo have their uses but are both pretty naff defensively. But I think he employed plenty of attacking tactics but in the big games he probably was defensive but so was Fergie in the big games.

Three CL’s in a row, La Liga runners up in his first season (by 1pt) and then winners the next year - his resume is not to be sniffed at. But I think one of the big things I’ve read about Zidane is that he is a great man manager and players love to play for him, not sure you can say that about Jose.

If Mourinho has to go then he's obviously a strong candidate to replace the manager given his availability and his record but I think it would be considered high risk but it's exactly the sort of name that someone like Woodward would go for.

I think the players we have currently would suit his style as it's not a million miles from Mourinho in terms of vision he's 100% win first style second.

If we were replacing Mourinho next summer I'd be chucking everything at Allegri I think he's top class hasn't done it in the Prem but then no one has until they've tried it.

The club need to stick with Mourinho for now though and really we need him to let the summer go and just get on with it.

I see Jose as sorting it out, he has too much to lose, not many places left for him to go to.

But I don't see Zizou as an option. He did ok in the cups with the worlds best player banging goals in. But I'm not so sure really. It would be a risk.

I like the way Eddie Howe plays. If I were gambling I think I would go him. Give the English a chance! He has prem experinece too.

F that we tried it with Moyes this is one of the best jobs in the world for football managers if the English lads want a chance at these jobs they need to start applying for jobs in easier leagues and proving themselves in Europa/Champions League earn their stripes.

The only British candidate who should even get shortlisted would be Rodgers as people easily forget how close he went to winning that title with Liverpool playing breathtaking football but his associate with them means he'll never get the job here and rightly so.

Until Utd sort things out behind the scenes it probably will always need a big name to be in charge if we really mean business and want to give someone the chance to progress to next level then go for Poch see if given bigger and better resources he can actually challenge the big names.

each to thier own, I wouldn't go near Rodgers. Bombed out of CL himself last night with all his experience.

For me Howe plays nice football, got a nice persona, players like him, and brought a club from bombing out the football leagues into the prem and kept them there with very little resources. Gone through all the leagues and has great experience.

He is a forward thinking manager, up to date with all latest tech and wotnot.

I don't see why not myself. Much better choice than Zizou, which is what the point of this conversation is.

As it happens I see Jose for the long haul. He needs to sort himself out or it's PSG/International management

I'm still not sure what Zidane is as a manager or if he's actually good which is a strange thing to say after 3 consecutive Champions League titles, something that hadn't been done since the 70s.

Love Zidane and he'd be a likely Woodward appointment, but would prefer the next manager to be identified by the sporting director as a perfect fit for the club.

Moyes didn't fail because he was British, he failed because he was a negative manager on and off the pitch. If there's a positive, progressive British manager out there then there's no reason why he shouldn't be considered. Same goes for foreign managers, many people mock those who suggest Pochettino as he's not won anything. Winning trophies is obviously an advantage to a candidate but it's not the most important thing and it shouldn't be the only thing we look at as it seems we've done with the last 2 choices.

If Howe was made manager there would be a meltdown. He's just not the 'star' name that Utd would want to attract.

But then again not was Moyes.

I'd see them going for a big name, a proven winner at the highest level.

I think the Moyes project killed the chances of anyone who hasn't got a proven track record and trophies to back it up for a while Utd can't take gambles right now on an up and comer if we had to replace Jose this season or next summer for whatever reason it will be big names on the list only. This board isn't going to risk that £40m hole in the budget if we don't make top 4 that's their priority.

A director of football structure might allow these moves to happen in the future as it's less risk but Howe wouldn't stand a chance guys like Marco Silva would be considered ahead of Howe as he's had success and moved around a bit and managed clubs where you are expected to win every week like Olympiakos for example if he does well with Everton and breaks the top 6 or even top 4 he could get a shot.

The only guy who I think who'd have a shot who hasn't won a trophy in management is Pochetino because he's put Spurs in that top 4 and kept them there and his playing and management style fits with the type of players Utd want to target ie players who's value might go up not crash year on year.

I really liked what Marco Silva did at Hull and Watford. I’ve not seen Everton play yet but I see him as a very good young manager who in time will get a bigger job.

I’d agree that under current ownership, they are unlikely to consider managers that aren’t proven. I do think though that like the FA, we have looked to experience and proven managers too much in the last 2 appointments in particular. Bayern have hired a relatively inexperienced and unproven manager in Niko Kovac, he got the job for impressing with Frankfurt. Barca’s manager has been around but hadn’t won much outside of Greece. He got the job for his work with Athletic Bilbao. Neither are big clubs, neither were big jobs.

I’m not saying we should get Howe or someone inexperienced and unproven but the club needs to do more homework when the time comes to looking for Mourinho’s successor as the last 3 managers have been picked out of a tombola. Hopefully a DoF will improve the process.

If Mourinho got sacked tomorrow I’d say giving Poch a 4 year contract would be the only available opportunity we’d have to go for.

If Mourinho got sacked tomorrow I’d say giving Poch a 4 year contract would be the only available opportunity we’d have to go for.

You don’t think the club would go for a 3 time Champions League winner who they won’t have to pay compensation for? Poch signed a new contract with Spurs in the summer so it would be a pricey move and I’m not sure he wants to leave them, despite not spending anything this summer, he’s built a fantastic squad and I think he wants to see out the job he’s started.

You know what, I think probably anyone could have won trophies with that team. I would want to see him tested elsewhere. He might make a good DoF.

You don’t think the club would go for a 3 time Champions League winner who they won’t have to pay compensation for? Poch signed a new contract with Spurs in the summer so it would be a pricey move and I’m not sure he wants to leave them, despite not spending anything this summer, he’s built a fantastic squad and I think he wants to see out the job he’s started.

I think this season will see Spurs start on a downward trend. Next summer they’re losing Vertonghen Alderwierald Dembele on free/next to nothing. That’s three of their starting 11 that they can’t replace because they’ve not got the money because of stadium issues. So they’ll need to cash in on one of their prize assets in Kane/Erickson and when one see’s the other go they’ll wanna jump ship.

Worth pointing out that most people are suggesting this story has come from the Zidane camp he apparently wants to get back into work so this was his people letting Utd know if the job becomes available I'm interested.

I hope this isn't true. That's knee jerk to bring him in because of what he did at Real. That was impressive but it was also with an elite squad.

I’m sure we will have sounded him out it makes sense to have backup plans but Utd have rubbished the rumour suggesting they’ve not spoken to anyone about coming in now.

I’m sure we will have sounded him out it makes sense to have backup plans but Utd have rubbished the rumour suggesting they’ve not spoken to anyone about coming in now.

And I think Zidane would be a mistake anyway. He did a great job at Real but that was Real. That was a team set up to win. What he did was great, he took that side and brought them together but they were a really really good side. Plus of course they had Ronnie so there's that.

And I think Zidane would be a mistake anyway. He did a great job at Real but that was Real. That was a team set up to win. What he did was great, he took that side and brought them together but they were a really really good side. Plus of course they had Ronnie so there's that.

People said Pep couldn’t repeat what he did at Barca again but he has not quite to the level but he’s totally revolutionised Bayern & City.

I do agree it’s very hard to judge but I think he showed some very good tactical acumen at Real but he did have an unbelievable squad of players to work with.

He didn’t always want more players either he backed himself to get more out of what he had and also develop young players.

He had some back office experience from his time at real as well so he should know how things should be setup for a top team to succeed. I think he knows a galactic policy fails because he was part of one at Madrid you need your worker bees to let the talented guys shine.

I think if we are going to take a gamble then why not gamble on him in 2 1/2 seasons he won 3 European cups and 1 league title even at Real Madrid that’s special.

That comes from Tony Cascarino on Talksport claiming he's spoken to a former Marseille teammate. Might be true though...

Dugarry: « Zidane, ce serait une bonne idée pour Manchester United... mais j'y crois moyen »

Dugarry:

"I think it's average because Zizou does not speak a word of English, but then not a word, even if it's learned, slides Duga, then because it's during the season. he planned to take care of his children, to spend a quiet year ... "

However, Dugarry has no doubt in ZZ's ability to succeed in the Premier League. "Of course Manchester are interested," he says, "which great coach is free right now, Zizou, and they're doing everything to convince him, that's normal, and I think it would be a good idea Manchester, in terms of quality and quantity, is good, there are just a lot of players traumatized by Mourinho, so an emotional coach like Zizou would surely do them good, but for that you have to speak the language. .. "

Certainly makes sense. After hearing what GNev said about his language problems in training and on match days at Valencia, ZZ would certainly have the same issues.

5 or 6 of the players speak French don't they, certainly the problem ones. Not that I want him, just saying.

Pogba
Martial
Lukaku
Fellaini

so only 4 :)

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back