Your summer targets?

Sideshow Bob

United can sign only four players in the summer. Rank in order the positions you would look to add quality?

Mine:

1. Left back
2. Right back
3. Right sided attacker
4. Midfielder

United can sign only four players in the summer. Rank in order the positions you would look to add quality?

Mine:

1. Left back
2. Right back
3. Right sided attacker
4. Midfielder

Yeah I'd agree with that Bob. Definitely a left back to replace Shaw and Young. Definitely a Right back as competition for Valencia. Right sided attacker not so much as I'd like to see our current forwards used better. Mind you right side is an issue so you could be right. And I do think we need a player to compliment Pogba and Matic.

I can see Martial going in the summer so I think if he does (hope he doesn't but its not looking good) then a RW would make sense to balance it up, Rashford can play back up to Lukaku and Sanchez which would give him more game time.

Centre Mid
Left Back
Right Winger
Centre Back

I personally want to see TFM given a shot next year with Valencia as his back up but under Jose I can't see that happening so he will probably do his usual and buy a 29 year old RB for short term success.

Mine:

1. Left back
2. Right back
3. Right sided attacker
4. Midfielder

Couldn't agree more!
Sandro ideal for LB, who the hell would be good on rm and rb?
I felt we need another box to box player to play in a 3 with Pogba, M-Savic would do fine, but I'm now more included to think we need a better cm as Matic is just too cumbersome and slow and his passing range isn't good enough. Kroos, Fabinho or Jorginho for cm.

Right Back
Left Back
Centre Mid
Centre Back

I think we can stumble by with our attack assuming they all stay but that defence needs sorting out as I don't think any of our CB's have proven themselves worthy of the shirt yet and I'm no longer willing to try with Jones & Smalling.

I'd rather stumble on with the cb's for another year, we need to get some balance on the right as we are awful there.

Varane
Rose
Kroos
RB

swap Pogba for Verratti

My main worry is we will need a new keeper :-(

Vidal or Seri (Someone who's got abit of bite in midfield and can get up and down all game)
Alderweireld
Sidibe
Rose or Kurzawa

I'd rather stumble on with the cb's for another year, we need to get some balance on the right as we are awful there.

I think a top right full back would give us that balance the way Jose plays he doesn't really want width from his wide attackers the width tends to come from full backs in modern football, he's never been one to allow both to bomb on like other teams do but more recently we've struggled to get one forward and when they do get forward they don't really have the cutting edge needed to go behind the opposition. In attack I think if we just picked the same 3 players every week for a while we'd see improvement the chopping and changing I think creates more problems because there is no partnerships or patterns developing as no one has a clue what the other guy is going to do.

Sorting out the centre backs in theory releases the full backs to go forward more and the midfield to be more open as it's obvious to me that we are still having to play with caution to protect our centre backs as they can't be trusted to defend on their own and lets be honest De Gea is our POTY again 4 years out of 5 and that can't keep happening our goalie should not be making the number of saves he is.

Don't get me wrong a quality right sided attacking player is on my list but it's the number 5 and I made my selection based on no one other than Fellaini or Carrick leaving in the summer.

Jose is definitely after CB's. He's said several times this year he is not happy with their distribution, let alone their defending.

Lindeloff got bullied by Rondon too yesterday. He's not upto playing with the big guys.

I thought Lindelof handled that pretty well yesterday Rondon threw his weight around but it didn't really get him much out of Lindelof, the main thing I'd like to see is Bailly & Lindelof playing a few games together as I don't think we've seen that yet.

The physical side of the game is a big concern because teams will always target him with that and it will get results at some point during the season and while he's tidy playing out from the back he doesn't look anything particularly amazing so I don't see where he makes up for that weakness with his strength.

Full back and midfield is the main concern for me this summer, agree with @jsp in that we should be able to get along with our forwards, surely one of Sanchez Martial Rashford can play on the right hand side, but if Marital does leave, then replacing him with a right winger rather than a left would make sense and give us balance.

Personally I would go and buy two CMs in the summer, that area just needs a do over as we never control games, we look utterly clueless when trying dictate games when we have all the ball, no zip no pressure no quick passing, all so dull and predictable, Alderwelid or whatever he's called for 30/40m is an absolute no brainer for me.

I think 2 CM's are an absolute must we are losing Carrick & Fellaini not that either have made huge contributions due to injury this season so we need to replace them and we need players who can put pressure on Matic & Pogba for starting positions but also give us options on how to play our midfield but we need players who can play quick.

Ideally I'd want one ball winning type and one more attacking guy who can contribute some goals and spark there is to much pressure on Pogba to do that every game if he's not playing well we need another guy who can step up. Herrera has become a bit of a Fletcher type for me a guy for the big games rather than a guy for every game but he's also only got 1 year left on his deal and there's been little to no talk about a new one for a while now but that might just be his agent isn't one for mouthing off in the press.

I have said this in the WBA post game thread but a right back and a left back are the key areas we have to strengthen in the summer. If we start next year with Valencia and Young as our first choices I may go mental! The lack of width they provide us is startling. We may pass to them a lot but apart from the odd cross, all they do is pass it back inside.

Then a central midfielder as my third pick. Then comes the right winger. If we can nail these four positions in the summer with quality signings then we will undoubtedly better next year. (You’d hope! :rolleyes:)

Just been watching videos of Nanis time at United. He’s was a fantastic player when played down the right. Anyone in his mould that we could go after around now days?

Just been watching videos of Nanis time at United. He’s was a fantastic player when played down the right. Anyone in his mould that we could go after around now days?
A couple that come to mind that I’ve seen in that position are Gelson Martins at Sporting who is a real talent but from what I’ve seen is still quite raw but amazingly talented.

Then Iñaki Williams at Bilbao, for anyone that’s seen him play he’s as quick as lightning and is going to be some player for club and country. His next step should be moving to a bigger club and getting more caps for Spain.

Nani was the same as Pogba, inconsistent as hell but when he had his day he was on fire!

Heard a lot of good things about that Pulisic at Dortmund and the right winger at Leizberg but I don't watch any German football so this is just going by hear say, a decent RW as a replacement for Martial would be perfect, we have seen with Salah that taking a chance of a winger with pace to burn and a goalscoring touch can work wonders, be a total of 6 in though not sure we will buy that many (2FB, 1CB, 2CM, 1RW), although it would be roughly 6 out maybe 7 if Smalling or Jones go but not convinced now with recent performances.

Smalling has put in a couple of decent performances I agree, still not convinced he's got enough to move us to the next level though. Out of the two it would be Jones I'd let go.

I think we need a CB of quality, both full backs but one of the those could be Timothy, two CM's one of which could be Pereira

So that could be three/four in. Then it could be a case of if one goes one comes, so if Martial goes we could see one in.

Jose keeps saying he's not gonna spend big and there wont be wholesale changes but I'm think that is a bit of a cover up.

He will see how much better City performed after investing in fb's last summer and surely get one for each side. A midfielder is a must, maybe he will get a marquee midfielder plus a decent squad midfielder. I'd love a right sided attacking player. I keep saying it but why cant he put Sanchez there and play Martial right? Sanchez made the goal from the right against City so he can play there

EDIT - Play Martial left, not right

I would assume what Jose means is there won't be any big names coming you can forget things like Bale or Neymar. Going to be tough to have a big summer in terms of ins and outs because of the world cup and also the window closing early in England for the first time this year.

I think we just need to accept that Martial wants to go and he will be allowed to go because him and the manager want him to do different things so my guess is he will be sold and that money probably gets used to plug gaps in midfield rather than bring in another attacker as he's already struggling to keep all his attacking players happy because he's got to many.

Assuming we stick to 4-3-3 I think 5 players is enough especially when you have players who are flexible and can play a number of positions.

Priority this summer has to be new full backs and new centre mids because both Carrick & Fellaini will be going.

I hope i'm wrong on Martial but I just can't see him wanting to stay, it just does not look like he will get a look in at RW and I think Jose would be happy to sacrifice Martial if it means he can bring in a 70/80m RW as his replacement.

I would love it if Pereira and TFM got given those spaces but I would be surprised if Jose trusted them both to be first choice. TFM I can see staying or even going back out on loan again and he can then take over from Valencia but I think he will buy two new FB's.

Before selling Smalling and Jones who, despite them being hammered day and night by fans and media alike, are ahead of both Rojo and Lindelof who have contributed absolutely zero this season, for me at the moment I would bin of one of them pair before getting rid of Smalling (who has been pretty superb since Jan), and Jones who was an absolute monster on Saturday and has had a decent season.

I think he might sell Pereira, he just doesn't seem to fancy him.

My summer predictions would be:

Out:
Romero (I think he wants 1st team football now)
Shaw
Blind
Darmian
Smalling or Jones (but I'm not convinced)
Fellani
Pereira
Carrick
Martial
Mata (maybe depending on if he buys a RW to replace Martial, Mata would slide further down pecking order)
Tuanzebe Loan
TFM Loan

In
Alderweideld
Rose
Munier (PSG)
Savic (Lazio)
Jorginho
Pulisic

I would assume what Jose means is there won't be any big names coming you can forget things like Bale or Neymar. Going to be tough to have a big summer in terms of ins and outs because of the world cup and also the window closing early in England for the first time this year.

I think we just need to accept that Martial wants to go and he will be allowed to go because him and the manager want him to do different things so my guess is he will be sold and that money probably gets used to plug gaps in midfield rather than bring in another attacker as he's already struggling to keep all his attacking players happy because he's got to many.

Assuming we stick to 4-3-3 I think 5 players is enough especially when you have players who are flexible and can play a number of positions.

Priority this summer has to be new full backs and new centre mids because both Carrick & Fellaini will be going.

I know he has said he won't go for anymore attackers but do you think he will feel confident going for the Prem League and Champ League with Lingard and Mata as your right wing options? I think with the Martial money, which should be reaching 90/100m, he will look to invest in a top class RW, he might even let Mata go if he can, Rashford Lukaku, Sanchez, Lingard say Pulisic or someone else, should be enough add maybe Mata to that, if we had a decent RW it would add so much to our attacking play.

I still have my heart set on Kroos and anything less I will be crying.

I'm going out:

Martial
Carrick
Fellaini
Blind
Shaw
Smalling or Jones

Assuming De Gea will get a new deal and Pogba/Jose will sort out any issues. He probably just wants more wedge.

In:

Pereira
Kroos
Alderweireld
Rose
TFM
Possibly Bale if Martial goes, not that I want that signing.
Controversial - Ramsey

I know he has said he won't go for anymore attackers but do you think he will feel confident going for the Prem League and Champ League with Lingard and Mata as your right wing options? I think with the Martial money, which should be reaching 90/100m, he will look to invest in a top class RW, he might even let Mata go if he can, Rashford Lukaku, Sanchez, Lingard say Pulisic or someone else, should be enough add maybe Mata to that, if we had a decent RW it would add so much to our attacking play.

Who's going to pay £100m for Martial? I mean he's a fantatic talent BUT we will do well to get our money back on him at this point we are currently about £50m in on him and clubs like Bayern & Juventus who are being linked to him aren't going to pay that for him and the sort of clubs who might pay £100m for a player aren't the sort of clubs who are in for him and you only pay those sort of fees for a clubs best player who they don't want to sell. Utd aren't really able to turn profits on players normally because we over pay in the first place to get them in so say we sell Shaw, Darmian, Blind, Martial & Jones this summer I think we'd be looking at getting £100-120m in to then spend elsewhere.

I wouldn't be comfortable with our right wing options if it was up to me I'd try and sell Mata as well and try to bring in someone who is comfortable on the right I don't think we can have 6 players for 3 positions when 2 of them Lukaku/Sanchez are nailed on starters. The squad needs to be thinner next season trying to keep a squad this big happy is impossible and rotation is something which I think has hurt us this season as the team has never been settled. If we go for a right winger he needs to be good enough to be a starter every game leaving Rashford/Lingard as your backup so he'd need to compliment Lukaku & Sanchez.

Lucky to get our money back? Mate come on, players like Perisic were valued at more than that last year who have done half of what Martial has done, VVD going for 75, full backs going for 50, were being quoted 90m for that Savic at Lazio whats he done? It's like we expect to just get had off in the transfer market because were Man United, if we sell for 50m I can promise you that a RW replacement we will be paying 80/90m, for someone who has half the talent and has achieved half as much, if we dont get decent dollar then he doesn't go anywhere.

Its like the transfer market is crazy for any other club apart from us, we want anyone half decent, 100m, we want to sell a France international, 22 years old, who has scored and assisted loads of goals and won 3 trophies, 50m, absolutely no chance mate.

If those clubs are happy to sell their players for top dollar, then sorry they can pay it as well, they don't get a pass because there Italian/German and were English.

They don't want to pay the money then he stays, end of story for me, no way should we be taking a massive loss on what we should be getting simply because "were man united and we don't make profits" don't agree with that in the slightest.

If we were buying a winger of his quality from Juve/Munich, how much would we have to pay?

Teams rip us off because they know we've got money and we are normally prepared to pay a premium because we are signing a player the selling team doesn't want to sell.

In Martial's case we are trying to sell someone who's our 3rd choice left winger that we obviously don't really want so we don't exactly have a strong position.

Also, say we get £50m for him that would probably still make him one of the top 20 transfers of all time and this is a guy who there are serious questions over. The Neymar deal has made things a bit fuzzy in terms of what players are worth in the transfer market will the market. The thing that makes me worried about the offers we'd get is the sort of clubs coming for him won't be desperate for him they'd be ones who are prepared to take a chance on him and I don't think clubs will pay silly money for him because there's still a lot of questions over his head.

I don't know there squads well enough but Douglas Costa/Cuadrado are the two wingers I know at Juventus so we'd end up paying £30-40m for one of those I guess.

Don't agree sorry mate, there is no way teams will look at Martial as our 3rd choice winger, he or has been this season for the most part ahead of Rashford in the pecking order and Jose is a manager who rarely gets his pants pulled down over transfers, especially at Chelsea.

Martial is one of the top young talents in Europe, if we sold him for 10m more than we bought Cudrado for there would be absolute uproar.

I'm sure we don't want to sell Martial its not like say Shaw where we are actively looking to get rid, he is one of our best outfield players, if the right offer came in, we would accept it but were not going to sell him at a cut price just to get him off our books, if we don't get top dollar, he will stay, if he wants to leave that bad he can run down his contract but at the moment I would say were in a pretty strong position, if you want to go you can if a club meet our valuation, if no one does then your not going anywhere.

This "we sell for half is value as the team is from Italy or Germany" is absolute nonsense in my view.

Jose did not buy or sell players at Chelsea they had sporting directors who did the deals and they sold Lukaku, De Bruyne & Salah for 1/2 what they were worth 2 years later.

My point is our track record for selling players for high fees is quite poor the only one I think we got anything like the right value for was Ronaldo and even that looks like a rip off now.

I don’t think clubs will be knocking our door down with huge offers for Martial there is obvious talent but there will be questions over his attitude neither Mourinho or Deschamps seem to really fancy him.

Prem clubs pay a massive premium that clubs in Italy & Germany don’t pay the only was we make a profit on Martial we need to sell him to Barca, Madrid, PSG or City these are the only clubs in Europe spending £50m plus on players.

Martial isn’t going anywhere if we don’t get the money for him. He’ll stay and waste a year of his career! Sign the damn contract

From the sound of it there isn’t a contract offer on the table right now and if there was Martial wouldn’t sign it unless it was a crazy offer.

If he wants out get him out.

My guess is clubs like Juve or Bayern would be looking at a loan with an option to buy type thing take him on loan for a season with an agreed fee say £50m if he settles and does well they pay the fee and take him if not they send him back.

If Mourinho doesn’t see him as a starter then I think we should sell and buy a guy for the right side of the attack.

I like Martial but in a Mourinho system he doesn’t work in a more dominant team who look to have the ball more he’d probably reach that potential but under Mourinho he will probably just end up being benched in big games.

Jose did not buy or sell players at Chelsea they had sporting directors who did the deals and they sold Lukaku, De Bruyne & Salah for 1/2 what they were worth 2 years later.

Lukaku, KDB and Salah were sold for half what they were worth 2 years later because they weren't top notch players back then, just kids still learning their trade.

This whole Martial thing is down to one thing only, if you rate him or not. Jose clearly doesnt but lots of Utd fans do. He certainly doesn't put the effort in like Sanchez does so I can see why Jose thinks like that. BUT with some nurturing he could be that player but I don't think Jose has time for that. He wants finished articles, hence why Lukaku, KDB and Salah all got sold.

I think full back is the most important by far, we lack any sort of penetration in these areas. Valencia has declined terribly since Xmas in my opinion.

A midfielder to replace Carrick is nextvon the list while another midfielder to add more depth may also be required if Fellaini does leave but maybe that can come from within.

I’d actually like to see Sanchez played more from the right. Makes such a difference when he and Pogba are on opposite sides of the pitch. They get in each other’s way when both playing left. Sanchez has shown he can score and assist from th right while it would also allow us to play Rashford more too. If Martial was to leave, a quality left footed attacker would provide us with more variety in attack though and would bring us on.

Unless faith is placed in Lindelof, a centre back who can bring the ball outbod defence and pass between the lines may also be required. It’s not an issue in the big games but is against the weaker teams.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back