Your Fergie 22 man squad

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
We kind of drifted into this discussion on another thread but name your 22 man squad of the Alex Ferguson era 1986-2013

The rules are simple you have to pick 2 players for each position in a 4-4-2 and lets try and keep players in the positions where players actually played. Copy and paste the bit below then put your players against each position.

GK
RB
LB
CB x 4
RW
LW
CM x 4
CF x 4

hahaha

so difficult, the goalkeeper is a terrible one! And I am basing my squad on players in their prime, So Robson gets in, but Robson under Sir Alex wouldn't

GK
Pete and De Gea
RB
Neville, Parker
LB
Irwin Evra
CB x 4
Rio, Vidic, Stam, McGrath
RW
Ronaldo, Kanchelskis
LW
Giggs, Park
CM x 4
Keane, Robson, Scholes, Ince,
CF x 4
Ruud, RVP, Hughes, Cantona

I really want to put Veron in, and Park is weak for there, ideally I'd have Ronaldo starting right but also understudying left which would free the space for Becks.

GK ~ Schmiechel & Van Der Sar
RB ~ Neville & Parker
LB ~ Irwin & Evra
CB x 4 ~ Pallister, Rio, Vidic & Stam
RW ~ Ronaldo & Beckham
LW ~ Giggs & Park
CM x 4 ~ Keane, Scholes, Carrick, Ince
CF x 4 ~ Cantona, RvN, Rooney, Solskjaer

The keeper one is tough but I think De Gea only really had 1 good season under Fergie the other two were brilliant for longer periods.

RB & LW were tough because 1 player dominated the position for so long Park is probably the only player who played that position consistently other than Giggs under Fergie Nani had a little run out there but his best games were from the right, Parker was a fairly solid right back but not amazing was tempted to put Brown in their but he only really had 1 season at RB but it was a brilliant season.

GK ~ VDS/DDG
RB ~ Neville/Rafael
LB ~ Irwin/Evra
CB x 4 ~ Rio/Vidic/Stam/Brown
RW ~ Ronaldo/Beckham
LW ~ Giggs/Nani
CM x 4 ~ Keane/Scholes/Carrick/Fletcher
CF x 4 ~ RVP/Rooney/Cantona/Yorke

I really wanted to include Tevez but couldn't bring myself to do it!

I didn't include any of the players I don't remember too well. IE - Robson/Palister. I was 7/10 when he left and don't really remember too much about our defenders from then.

Just realised I hadn't done my 4th CB option but left Palister there from when JSP posted.

What I couldn't remember. Who partnered Rio before Vidic turned up?

Great question love it!!

GK
De Gea & Schmeichel
RB
Neville & Parker
LB
Irwin & Evra
CB x 4
Vidic, Stam, Rio, Bruce
RW
Ronaldo & Beckham
LW
Giggs & Beardsmore (my first ever idol/hero so he has to get in just on emotion alone lol)
CM x 4
Keane, Scholes, Robson & Carrick
CF x 4
Cantona, RVN, Rooney & Hughes

Just realised I hadn't done my 4th CB option but left Palister there from when JSP posted.

probably Brown or O'Shea?

Silvestre was a regular back as was Brown

I was the same with Tevez loved that guy but 2 seasons wasn't really enough to include him.

Just looking at Beardsmore record, 54 games 4 goals!!! Absolutely terrible haha I absolutely idolised him, he was sensational when the first lot of kids were known as Fergies Fledglings.

He is in by emotion and not merit haha if I had to replace him, has to be Lee Sharpe, absolute stallion!

GK ddg and vds
RB Neville and o shea
LB Irwin and evra
CB x 4 Rio, vidic, stam, pallister
RW Ronaldo and Becks
LW giggs and Sharpe
CM Keane,scholes, Robson,Carrick
CF x 4 Cole, yorke, cantona and ruud

There were plenty of others in the running. I was always a massive fan of Ronny johnsson but he was just injured too much to reach his full potential. Also can't help feeling I should be finding a place for Rooney on his record alone.

I mean Rooney did my head in a lot towards the end but I can't believe how many teams he's not making it into :eek:

GK DDG, VDS
RB Neville, Parker
LB Irwin, Evra
CB Rio, Vidic, Bruce, Pallister
RW Ronaldo, Beckham
LW Giggs, Park
CM Keane, Scholes, Robson, Carrick
CF Cantona, Rooney, Cole, Yorke

@Kev - Here's the thread I was referring to. Actually best 22 not 11.

Bit difficult for me this as I only really have from 1998 (when I was 7) to 2013 and there's players that held their positions for a while, I can't pick Cantona and a few others as I only vaguely remember seeing them play at the time, I remember singing their names on the primary school playground more than seeing them. Couldn't decide between a Rafael or Brown at RB so pushed Brown to CB where he played more. Went with Nani on right with Becks but nearly went with Fletch on right and Butt then in CM but Fletch didn't really play enough on right. Could have put Cristiano on right where he played most but couldn't think of another player worthy of playing on left side. Strikeforce self explanatory, 650 goals between them.

GK - Schmeichel and Van Der Sar
RB - Neville and Rafael
LB - Irwin and Evra
CB x 4 - Rio, Vidic, Stam and Brown
RW - Beckham and Nani
LW - Giggs and Ronaldo
CM x 4 - Keane, Scholes, Carrick and Fletcher
CF x 4 - Cole, Ruud, Rooney and Solskjaer

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now