World Snooker Championship 2019

nah, not really.

O'Sullivan just got knocked out. Here ends a lot of peoples interest.

Probably the biggest upset in the sports history, the first ever amateur to qualify then beats the 5 time champion in the first round.

Madness

Just seen the highlights. Ronnie looks like he hasn’t slept in about 3 weeks

No thread started for this years world championship which has started? I echo some of the above sentiments, I dont know if its down to age but the game just doesnt seem to have the characters anymore :(

there is an element of characters no doubt.

Probably TV access too, we used to sit and watch this as family when I was I kid. Probably because there was only 3 channels and nothing else on.

Same as Cricket, should be on normal TV.

is it, that rules that out then.

It is a bit boring to be honest, I mean I'll watch it if nothing is on, but it's not a sport I rush to watch.

haha, I've tried cricket on the radio!

Actually that can be ok.

Tennis not so much.

I also listen to golf on the radio :D

There’s more choice it might be on BBC but there’s 100’s of channels plus streaming services competing for our attention now when we flick on the TV.

i used to watch it quite a bit but only in short bursts could never watch full sessions but haven’t watched it in years.

Trump knocked out. Williams vs Ronnie 8-8 at the moment.

Check this out from Ronnie. Brutal.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Might struggle to sleep tonight with the heat, so might whack on the snooker. That should send me right off.

Sleeping at night has been a struggle no doubt.
But I understand what your saying, whack and off.
On ye go and happy snoring.

Ronnie of to a good start in semi 5-2 and looking like he will take the next

I’d love him to win a couple more. A man of the sport that lost himself mentally but has found a way to do it that he’s comfortable with. I think most think of him as one of if not the greatest of all time but worlds is where he’s really lagging behind.

Mans a genius, I hope he can get this one, then one more.
That’s where he deserves to be in the game regardless of anything else.

On his comments the other day I honestly think that's a bit of a dick-ish thing to do when you're a senior player.

The standard probably has dropped but I'm guessing participation in Snooker as a sport has dived off a cliff since the 1990's.

Snooker is an incredibly hard game to play and get good at it's hours and hours and hours of practise I doubt you are getting players coming through who have anywhere near the number of hours under the belt as the top players used to.

I know he likes to live up to his bad boy image but slagging off your competition especially those just starting out in the game is a bit petty and probably isn't going to help the sport he loves. Was just an attempt to keep the spotlight on him because that is what he loves.

Decorum is not his strong point, he says what is going on in his head without thinking about it or effect it may have.
Not sure you have got his character right though, he isnt really one for the spotlight.

I think you’d probably have to appreciate that he doesn’t have the filter that a ‘normal’ morning person would and just says what’s in his mind.

He also said ‘If I was talking to a betting man I’d tell him to lump on Selby he’s going to destroy me I’m playing shit’.

In terms of the standard actually falling its has to be one of the few sports where this is true. Take Darts and Golf which are similar easy to play hard to master sports and the standard as just kept on improving. It’s unusual to see a sport where the standard is going backwards.

Maybe I've judged him wrong I don't follow it that closely he only flashes on my radar when he's saying something silly and to me it always sounds like he's doing it for attention and a headline. He is an odd guy the not finishing a 147 break because he didn't think the prize money for it was high enough etc.

For me it's all about participation the more people who play regularly and stick with it the higher the standard at the very top becomes and that is where Snooker is dying.

Darts is a pretty cheap sport to practise you need a board, some darts and a spare room it's also something you can easily start just going to a pub or even a youth club. I think the money and glamour that the PDC has introduced the darts has meant a lot more very good players have a crack at the pro's now compared to 10 years ago. Darts really is all practise, practise, practise.

Snooker has become very niche you realistically need to be a member of a snooker club (lots of these have closed) or have a massive room/garage to fit the table so the cost of practising if you're using a snooker hall quickly racks up and access to a table is becoming more difficult. I imagine plenty of the local leagues are long gone as well as it's a sport people just don't play anymore. Like darts is a sport that if you keep practising at you will get better there's no technology to really help you it's all about your skill and accuracy.

It's an image thing too snooker on TV can look glamourous walk into any snooker hall and it's likely a dark and dingy place that hasn't had a decent refurbishment in over a decade as they haven't got the money. They aren't really the environment that would attract kids/teenagers to come and play and feel comfortable.

I like Ronnie for what he says etc. I laughed when I heard him saying that about players outside the top 16. He's is box office.

Not so sure about his parenting skills, also, not read one of his books yet, not sure I'll rush to either

I like Ronnie for what he says etc. I laughed when I heard him saying that about players outside the top 16. He's is box office.

Not so sure about his parenting skills, also, not read one of his books yet, not sure I'll rush to either
LOL... im not sure he was saying that about players outside the top 16. I think he was talking about some of them inside the top 16 :)

Ronnie can’t get going in this session. 5-3 up becomes 7-5 down.

That final frame was up there with the best frames of snooker ever. Utterly amazing.

Its 15-14 and Ronnie o'Sullivan has the chance to level at 15-15. But it is Reckless Ronnie who comes to the table and he's is trying totally mad shots so he losses and it is 16-14 with Selby needing one more frame to get to the final.
Next frame suddenly Rocker Ronnie is back and he rattles up a 138 break in 7 minutes, then he comes to the table for the next frame and pots the first red with a shot that is probably the shot of the tourney and fires a frame winning 71 break.
So now it is 16-16 and a deciding frame. This guy truly is worth watching.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back