World Cup Final: France v Croatia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to look past France man for man better all over the pitch and they finally look like they're playing as a team if they turn up and are on it they'll win.

Croatia surely after 3 straight 120 minute games will be running on empty? If they're not I'd be drug testing the whole lot of them because it's super human stuff what they've done. Seriously though if France can starve them of possession there legs will give up on them and if Lovren & Vida couldn't handle Sterling's pace imagine what Mbappe is going to do to them.

I can see this being 3/4-0 and a complete drubbing. The Croatians must be on their dying legs.

Mbappe to run rings around them and win the player of the tournament crown.

I can see this being 3/4-0 and a complete drubbing. The Croatians must be on their dying legs.

Mbappe to run rings around them and win the player of the tournament crown.

From memory player of the tournament is decided before the final but if France get ahead then they're going to be hard to peg back.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It was never a free kick or penalty for me.

Can’t believe they gave that on looks worse in slow mo than in real time the fact the ref required so many looks show how marginal a call it was.

It was too close. The balls travelled half a yard at him.

The way Perisic opens his hand makes it a penalty.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think it’s so split second is he trying to deliberately handle the ball or just a natural reaction to the player missing it?

For me with VAR they need to review the handball law because giving a penalty for that seems very harsh.

Been a few like this in the World Cup using VAR some given some not.

It's close, but he 's not looking at the ball, it's ball to hand, no pen for me.

This is sort of the issue VAR was introduced to try and stop the refs making howlers instead it's become more about trying to make everything right if the VAR can't tell you it's an obvious mistake change the decision I don't see why the ref should go for a 2nd look he should stick to the original decision. The guy operating VAR is a FIFA ref so there's no reason why he can't make that decision.

However, the laws of the game are open to a lot of interpretation by different refs and some refs rule one way and some rule the other I thought yesterday at full speed you couldn't clearly say Perisic intended to handle that ball so it shouldn't be a penalty. France got the luck though and took advantage.

France penalty decision against Croatia wrong, says Dermot Gallagher

This sort of proves the point one ref saw it in real time and said no penalty, another ref watched the replays and said he wasn't sure, the original ref then watches the replay and changes his mind suggesting he's now 100% sure and then another ref says it's the complete opposite.

I think going forward review the VAR referrel the man in the TV booth needs to make the decision like they do in Rugby or Cricket they must put there cock on the block and say you've made a mistake you need to change, you made the right call stick to the original desicion or inconclusive stick with original decision. Getting the ref to check it gives the VAR a get out of jail card and it also further slows down the game as it means the review takes nearly twice as long.

indeed, if you to look so many times and still don't know, leave the refs decision as correct. I still don't get how they gave the decision after looking.

I felt sorry for Croatia, maybe they would have gone on to win it without that decision becasue I thought they were the better side in the first half. France showed what England need to learn about game manaement.

It wasn't the most exciting of matches, but it wasn't boring either. In the end France was a worthy winner, but the referee's blunders has spoiled the match.

First was the ridiculous decision to award a free kick for a blatant dive. There was a minimum of contact and Griezmann made a meal of it, which should have been an indication of him trying to cheat the referee. The second error was the penalty, which has been thoroughly discussed. So I don't really have much to add.

Pogba and Mbappe have scored two beautiful goals that have completely demoralized Croatia. They worked hard, but the French worked intelligently and that's why they were victorious in the end.

Lloris' howler was the evening's highlight, imo. I wonder, was there any top class goalkeeper that did not make stupid mistakes at this tournament?

Anyway, next up is Qatar in December 2022. Can you imagine going to the pub to watch the game and ordering a hot chocolate or cappuccino instead of a beer? (Unless you live in the southern hemisphere, of course)

Who the hell goes to a pub and orders and hot chocolate or a cappuccino because it’s winter?

Who the hell goes to a pub and orders and hot chocolate or a cappuccino because it’s winter?

Was discussing this yesterday as we enjoyed the final outside in shorts with a nice cool Cider over ice thinking a World Cup in a pub by the fire with a jumper on drinking Guiness sounds rubbish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back