Willian

£50m apparently. How can a 29 year old be worth that much?

As long as there will be clubs like PSG with very deep pockets, prices will continue to spiral out of control. No way Chelsea would have had the nerve to ask 50 million a year ago. Then the Neymar saga started...

I don’t think you can balk at potential transfer prices now, football is what it is now. It’s going to take mega money to buy players, even ones at 29.

I think Willian would be a brilliant signing as of now because we need someone on the right and he has that little bit of magic we very much lack. £50m is a lot but hey it’s not our money, as long as we bring in the right players they can spend what they like.

And like kef said, the Neymar signing has just pushed prices up astronomically and it isn’t going to stop.

Chelsea have set a high price for Willian, who wishes to join Barcelona. The Catalan club have been quoted a price of €80m (£70.7m), which they reportedly believe is too high a price for a player approaching his 30s. (Mundo Deportivo)

I mean that figure is crazy for a player of his age but he's exactly what we need and exactly what Jose wants. I'd love us to get him but I guess that is unlikely.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Seems an odd one for Barcelona to go for but guess they want a back up to the front 3 so they can rotate a bit.

Mad world where a guy hitting 30 is over 50m.

Seems he's Barca bound. Which is a shame for us but also good. If they lose Willian and Hazard. Oh boy that's trouble for them.

Rumours that Barca’s latest bid is over €70m.

A 29 year old winger who doesn’t score loads of goals and with 1 year on his contract who probably comes in as a squad player is 70m.

My mind is blown here.

I like Willian he’d walk in our team on the right of the front 3 but that fee seems crazy.

New rules though mate last summer £40m was probably about right this summer the rules of the game have changed Neymar basically doubled the price of everything over night and there seems to be no doing back either.

I really don't know if this is sustainable for clubs because when you're being asked to pay 70m for mid level talent plus the wages, agent fees etc surely the clubs are just going to bankrupt themselves. The big clubs need to get a handle on this as right now it just seems like they're all ripping each other off for the sake of it but as soon as Chelsea try to spend that money they'll get ripped off as well it seems rather pointless.

it is pointless and it's making a huge divide between the elite clubs and everyone else. Something needs to give somewhere as its right out of control

Is it though? Everyone else just charges these stupid prices Liverpool & Dortmund banked over 100m each because of that Neymar deal, Southampton bank 70m for Van Dijk etc. The money does trickle down but it seems rather pointless. Leicester can now demand £65m for Maguire if you believe the papers, Spurs want £70m for Alderwiereld despite him being available for a fraction of that next summer.

The only way to top it is to enforce a release fee in every contract that is benchmarked in some way against the value of the players contract. Say your are on £5m per season salary your release fee should be £5m for every season left on that contract so years left on the deal means you are £15m. £10m per season then £10m per season release fee etc. Clubs can negotiate down these figures is clubs want to sell these players but the cap needs to be put in somehow as it's got out of hand. FFP was supposed to do this but UEFA haven't been able to enforce it as they hoped so it's become a bit pointless. FFP was dreamt up by the elite clubs because they basically admitted they were bankrupting each other by demanding stupid transfer fees the idea was by regulating it they could stop clubs running up debts.

It's a shame to miss out on Willian but once Barca come in we were always going to be second favourite and if they're prepared to pay that sort of fee it's probably time to look elsewhere.

Now they've signed Malcom you would assume Barca are out of the running for Willian.

Willian for Martial swap deal incoming I reckon.

Could well be a swap deal and I for one would not be happy with that. I really think Willian would be a great addition to this team but at his age there's no way a swap with Martial plus cash is a good deal for us.

Probably not but to get a deal done it might be what's needed and Willian solves a problem that no one in the squad currently solves which is playing right wing.

Martial is at best 2nd choice LW and 3rd choice CF I know he's young and has potential but he's just not kicking on here maybe a short term fix is what is required bit like the Sanchez/Mkhitaryan trade it just kind of suited both parties to get it done.

I don't think we are in a position to take the moral high ground. If that is what it takes to push the deal through I guess we will have to do it. Not especially happy but I am not expecting maximum effort from martial from what I have seen so far.

I'd be happy with a swap deal as it would improve our starting 11.

Well the reports are that they're gearing up for Hazard to leave and think Martial could fill that gap that he'd leave on the left of a front 3 as Sarri will likely going for a 4-3-3 system so in theory he fits in but Chelsea then have a similar problem to us who plays on the right? Possibly Victor Moses?

Forgot about Pedro well he fits in perfectly really.

The reports were that Chelsea were willing to sell Willian abroad similar to us with Martial but not prepared to sell to a prem team.

I think the window closing creates a problem for both clubs as Hazard to Madrid needs to happen to fund Martial, Utd want to try and smoke out Bayern for Martial who apparently have registered an interest, Chelsea probably don't want to sell Willian but it's last chance to cash in.

I like Willian but I don’t really want him or think he’d make any difference in closing the gap.

I like Willian but I don’t really want him or think he’d make any difference in closing the gap.

You know that might be fair actually. He's a good player and he'd improve our team but enough to close the gap? Probably not. Bale would but that isn't going to happen. In fact no attacking signing is now.

I think he improves us gives a guy who can actually play on the right side but the fee Chelsea want is crazy for a guy at his age surely the scouts can find better.

I think he improves us gives a guy who can actually play on the right side but the fee Chelsea want is crazy for a guy at his age surely the scouts can find better.
I’m beginning to think our scouts are beyond useless.

Would like Willian for £25-30m but for £70m, no thanks. Like others have said he would improve the team but he’s not that star quality we need. However I don’t think there is any value in the market right now unless you can unearth an Mbappe at 16-17 before he’s burst onto the scene. Again this comes down to the scouts.

I’m beginning to think our scouts are beyond useless.

Would like Willian for £25-30m but for £70m, no thanks. Like others have said he would improve the team but he’s not that star quality we need. However I don’t think there is any value in the market right now unless you can unearth an Mbappe at 16-17 before he’s burst onto the scene. Again this comes down to the scouts.

The scouts do seem to be struggling to unearth gems maybe Dalot will be that and if he can stay fit Bailly could fall into that category as he wasn’t exactly well known when we signed him.

Good deals can be had Salah & Malcom both moved for under £40m in last 2 summers but it does feel like Utd are looking at the expensive easy targets rather than doing their homework properly possibly burned by the bad experiences had with Shaw, Depay, Martial or Schniederlin. That said Di Maria, Schweinstieger and Falcao came in as experienced players and flopped massively because they gave zero f*cks and just wanted a pay day.

The only players coming here should be ones desperate to play for Utd and also work under Mourinho because if they don’t tick both boxes why are we going for them.

You know that might be fair actually. He's a good player and he'd improve our team but enough to close the gap? Probably not. Bale would but that isn't going to happen. In fact no attacking signing is now.

I'd just prefer to take gambles in the hope that what we've got will improve on last season. Players that are being talked about are no better than what we've already got in my opinion. We're signing for the sake of signing players. We've made 3 signings this summer but 2 aren't going to be starters and i'm not sure Fred is a definite either, he might be great but I don't think anyone really knows how it'll work out.

If we're to close the gap or win the league again, we've got to either sign top players or get the best out of what we've got because last season we didn't. There's De Gea and that's it for me, I think all the others can do better, people can argue Matic and Lukaku and maybe others but I still think they can all do better. I'm not going to place blame solely on Mourinho for that, players need to do it themselves too but his job is to get the best out of them.

If I was Jozay, I would be saying to Tony Martial, 'you've got a whole off season as your not in the France WC sqaud, get yourself a damn decent coach and learn how to play RM/RF and the spot is yours if you nail it.

One problem position sorted! Money saved.

The problem with that is Martial clearly doesn’t want to be the sort of wide player Jose wants and wants out of the club he knows that in 12 months he’s gone as the club has to sell then I think both player and manager would quite happily call it quits this summer bank the cash and move on. I think it’s more likely they work with Rashford for this position as his long term future is with the club.

Rumours are Mourinho wants a hard working right sided player to allow Sanchez to play higher up and not have to chase back plus it would protect Valencia’s legs and also Dalot’s inexperience at this level. I honestly don’t know where we end up going on this Willian is way over priced, Perisic to me is a left side rather than a right side do we bite the bullet buy a left back and move Young or Valencia out there? I mean Willian is basically Valencia at 29.

If we don’t get anyone I don’t see how we can play 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 next season but I don’t see how we can play a back 3 as none of our full backs are really wing backs playing wing back just puts more pressure on the senior guys weary legs.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back