I think he's good enough for the Championship to be honest, if we didn't have so many Strikers i'd say he would have played first team by now. Unfortunately there's about 7 ahead of him.

Will Keane deserves England Under-21 call-up - Official Manchester United Website

Reserves boss Warren Joyce is thrilled with Will Keane's promotion to the England Under-21 squad.

The 18-year-old graduated to Stuart Pearce's side ahead of the match with Iceland on Thursday, coming on as a second-half substitute during the 5-0 win in Colchester, after Sunderland striker Connor Wickham was injured at Old Trafford last weekend.

Keane's elevation from the Under-19s for the first time represents real progress for the youngster, who was top scorer at Academy level last season. After shining in a 4-2 win at Carrow Road on 27 September, the teenager notched his fourth goal of the campaign in the last second-string outing against Everton.

"It's a massive step for Will," Joyce explained to ManUtd.com. "It's a great little taster for him and an opportunity for him to go and work with those players at that level and the staff at that level as well.

"Ever since the Norwich game really, he's carried on his good form away with England and hopefully he'll do well with the Under-21s.

"I do think we have some good players here who don't get that recognition if they're not playing league football. We're pretty confident here that Will could be out there doing it in the league but there's things we want him to develop in-house before he goes out.

"There's two games for the Under-21s [the second fixture is against Belgium on Monday] and it'll be good for the boy."

Keane has earned flattering comparisons with both of United's 1999 Champions League final scorers Teddy Sheringham and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer due to his playing style but Joyce feels the forward needs to develop his own identity.

"He's very elegant on the ball and has traits like those two players," added Joyce. "He just needs to be himself and come out and be known as Will Keane.

"Both Sheringham and Solskjaer were fantastic strikers, technicians and goalscorers but they also had a ruthless streak in them. We're trying to bring that out in Will at the minute.

"He's great and a really nice lad off the field. We're trying to get him to be ruthless, show aggression to finish runs into the box and be more desperate for goals. I think these are the things that we've got to try to drill into him and I expect him to have a bright future."

Crystal Palace are looking to take Keane on loan for the remainder of the season. Don't know if this season is too soon for him - mainly because of his physique.

He does look pretty lightweight which is understandable considering he's only just about to turn 19. Same problem for a lot of the FA youth cup winning youngsters, they need to physically mature to be able to play first team football. If Palace want him then I don't see why he shouldn't go, they have a good record in playing youth, and even if he doesn't play a lot it still gives him the experience of living away from Manchester and training with a different group of players and coaches.

From reading things from the coaches, the only reason he hasn't gone out on loan is that they're trying to bring out some aggressiveness in him.

Warren Joyce: "We're trying to get him to be ruthless, show aggression to finish runs into the box and be more desperate for goals. I think these are the things that we've got to try to drill into him and I expect him to have a bright future."

I dont think physique is much of a a problem as people make it out to be

I dont think physique is much of a a problem as people make it out to be

I don't think Keane's physique will be a problem during his career, just at this moment in time. He is a quality footballer and will have a top career for sure - his talent is obvious.

Physique is a problem early on for everyone, it's why Fryers and Pogba are probably closer to first team action than others at the moment, even going back to Scholes, he was the last to make his debut out of that group of players I believe. If you're good enough it doesn't matter how big you are in the end, it might to begin with but talent will ultimately win the battle.

We wait years to produce a top home grown striker, now we have Welbeck establishing himself as first chouce snd Keane who has the potential to be a top player. His finishing draws a comparison with Ole. Keane has benefitted from having Ole around the club last season.

In the next couple of years we could have two home grown forwards leading our attack.

After two fantastic finishes against Newcastle's reserves, how about Keane as fourth choice striker for next season, or is a loan the better option to continue his development?

Not sure which will be better, depends on which clubs are interested in taking him on loan. It's fairly clear he's ready for first team football either way.

Warren Joyce in November: "We're trying to get him to be ruthless, show aggression to finish runs into the box and be more desperate for goals. I think these are the things that we've got to try to drill into him and I expect him to have a bright future."

Think he showed what Warren Joyce wanted him to improve on tonight. Brilliant finishing too.

I'd give him a chance next season, some thing like 17 goals in 23 apps! If the tittles over with a game or two left play him in them.

Hopefully he will find a good club and not just send him to his son's club.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-n...1/boro-step-pursuit-man-united-striker-171858

Middlesbrough manager Tony Mowbray made a personal check on Manchester United starlet Will Keane on Thursday night as he stepped up his pursuit of the striker.

Mowbray, who wants Keane on loan, was in the stands at Old Trafford to watch the Premier League Reserves play-off final between Manchester United and Aston Villa, which United won 3-1 on penalties to win the title.

Did Fergie say something similar about Cleverley, but then Cleverley went to Wigan? I think he's capable of being fourth choice striker, but hopefully we sign someone so Keane can go on loan, which maybe more beneficial for his development.

Players born in 1990 need to be registered for next season. The Keanes were born in 93. I think that's right.

Still young enough. Da Silvas need to be registered which may be a reason why Fabio is going on loan...

Possibly. Can see more outs than ins this summer though so I'd say the squad will be trimmed a bit.

I don't get it. Fergie said Keane was going out on on-loan, but now he's gonna stay. Personaly I'd loan him out next season and then give him a shot in 2013-14.

Keane scored twice for England U19s in a 5-0 victory over Slovenia. Tom Thorpe also scored.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back