Sideshow Bob

Mourinho:

'The players that replaced others did not perform at a good level.

'When individuals do that it is difficult for the team to play well. Maybe now you will not ask me why A, B and C do not play so much.

'Why always Lukaku? Why always Lukaku? Why always Lukaku? You have the answer why always Lukaku.'

Poor from Mourinho. Lukaku's form has dipped in the last month yet he starts every match.

Rashford and Martial were at such a poor level it was as if they’d never met eachother before

He isn't spot on. Mourinho is doing what Mourinho does best; self preservation. Can you imagine Fergie throwing two young players under the bus? Nah, me neither.

The young players need game time, something Jose won't give them. Then when they do play the odd game and they don't perform he has a ready made answer why he doesn't use them.

I just commented on another post, I think Jose is gonna load the squad this transfer window with 29/30yr olds for one big push to see if he can win the league next year. Win or bust!

I think Mourinho has been poor in the media this year. He keeps criticising his players publically and it’s not good. His public comments on Shaw were awful for a young players confidence.

Back to these comments, yes Lukaku is the best option we have but by indirectly saying guys like Martial and Rashford aren’t good enough won’t be good for their confidence. It’s easy to say these players need a kick up the backside but it may do the opposite and make it worse.

All managers do it though don't they. More patience with the players they have brought in themselves. I have mixed feelings on this one. I don't like it when a manager publicly digs out annoy player player. If you don't fancy them just get rid. However I haven't been too impressed with either martial or rashford. That's partly due to game time but partly to do with attitude and progression. I suspect if martial had a touch more of rashfords attitude and rashford had a touch more of martial talent we would have 2 good players. Again it comes down to their patience and joses development of players and they don't go hand in hand

Did you see the graphics before the game? Rashford has played 70% of minutes for United this season that’s hardly ‘not getting game time’

Ah it's the stats thing again. Firstly I don't think rashford is worth his place atm but his game time is sporadic. Odd games and coming on as sub. To get the best out of most players they need regular starts which is why both club and player need to show patience

He may have 70% of minutes but I don’t think he does a lot with those minutes. Granted a lot of the time it’s hard to make an impact of the subs bench but I think he could do more when he does get the chance to start. Don’t get me wrong he still looks threatening at times when he does play but there are still many facets to his game that needs vast improvement.

Lukaku is clearly the best option over Rashford and it should be that way, Lukaku is a seasoned player, where as Rashford is still raw despite his meteoric rise.

‘The stats thing again’ as a 20 yr old getting to play 70% of all minutes for Manchester United is a massive amount of game time. He’s 200 minutes behind Aguero.

2049 minutes. The idea Mourinho hasn’t given him enough chances is laughable. I use minutes not appearances so it can’t be disputed that he’s played games. The media have started this fallacy that Rashford isn’t playing and people have bought in to it. He’s not played too many games recently because he isn’t in form.

The game against Brighton he was shocking and had an opportunity to roll Martial in for an easy finish and instead refused to make the pass. Someone made the excuse he got himself confused I saw nothing but a selfish kid not wanting Martial to go another goal in front of him for the season.

Absolutely agree the media started this. Within 24 hours of signing Alexis talksport was doing a show saying rashford should leave or look for a loan move as it would hurt his world cup chances. No mention of stones not starting a league game since early January. I also agree he hasn't done enough with the minutes he has had, and the same applies to martial. As for his failure to pass to martial against Brighton only rashford himself will know if it was selfishness or just bad play, hopefully the latter. I am not a stats man but I would imagine that % has gone down since the arrival of Alexis. I am not particularly bothered by that either as it's up to players to stand up. I just don't really like limiting a guys playing time and then digging him out for not turning it on when he plays. I sort of have a foot in both corners on this topic.

They’ve both had their minutes cut significantly since the arrival of Sanchez and there were graphics on sky backing that up.

Both youngsters were quite poor on Friday but no one had a good game so not sure why they were singled out and as the attacking players the build up to get the ball up to them was pathetic and slow.

There was no need for them comments and he’s starting to do my head in a bit with it, Mourinho made the mistake on Friday of making 6 changes against a side who were bang up for it. Guys like Martial, Mata, Fellaini, Darmian & Rojo have hardly featured recently and I wonder if some of them aren’t already out the door mentally so why play them?

If you are a professional footballer, you should be ready and train to be ready when you are not in the team. And have the desire to get in the managers starting 11. They haven't done it.
Ole is a prime example. The year we had cole, yorke, teddy and ole. They all performed when called upon. You can't all start.

I have no problem with him calling players out. If you can't take criticism you are not out cut out for united. If you don't want to be criticised put the effort and performance in.

It's like we all should all feel sorry for them on their 100 grand a week because their manager think they played bad. Stop sulking, realise how lucky you are and do your job. A job we would all love to be able do.

For as long as football has been played, you have a squad, only 11 can play, practise and improve to get in the team or go and play at a lower level. It's same as when I was kid in little league.

It doesn't matter if I the manager tells me I'm not good enough or not, the fact I don't make the 11 is the sign, for all to see.

Mourinho:

Poor from Mourinho. Lukaku's form has dipped in the last month yet he starts every match.

Are you actually joking? Mourinho was spot on to go mental at the attacking players, why should they be given a free hit? they were nothing short of disgraceful on Friday night and Lukaku over the last month or so has started what maybe 4/5 games, done well in most of them and scored twice. If Jose didn't come out kicking off after that on Friday I would have been fuming, the players need to stand up, given a chance to stake a claim for a cup final place and they run around looking as if they don't give a .... (can't swear will get told off).

Need to jump off the Jose bandwagon and those players need a rollocking, talking nonsense

If the two of them had ran their socks off, put in a massive shift and just had a bad game then Jose comments would be bang out of order, when players are walking around, losing the ball and not chasing back, and looking as though they don't really want to be there, then im sorry I don't care if your 19 or 35, you get an absolute rollocking and why not come out calling out their desire and attitude, as Mr C says, if you can't hack a bit of criticism then go play for Arsenal and have it all nice and easy.

This isn't just on them two, this is 90% of the side that played, Fellani Pogba full backs mata etc all guilty of the above.

I think there is nothing wrong with letting the players know a performance is unacceptable I personally just like to keep digging out individuals in house. I guess he would argue he didn't name names but everybody knew who he meant. I partly agree that if a player can't accept criticism then he probably isn't mentally strong enough for United,but if that's the case doing it isn't going to help. There is no doubt martial is a talent and when he can bully fullbacks he looks the real deal. There is also no doubt when you are in the trenches it's alexis you want. I think I would be looking to offload martial and use the money to bring in a right flank player.

Are you actually joking? Mourinho was spot on to go mental at the attacking players, why should they be given a free hit? they were nothing short of disgraceful on Friday night and Lukaku over the last month or so has started what maybe 4/5 games, done well in most of them and scored twice. If Jose didn't come out kicking off after that on Friday I would have been fuming, the players need to stand up, given a chance to stake a claim for a cup final place and they run around looking as if they don't give a .... (can't swear will get told off).

Need to jump off the Jose bandwagon and those players need a rollocking, talking nonsense

I’m far from joking. Certain players escape criticism whilst others are targetted. As I’ve said in previous post, can you imagine Fergie throwing two young players under the bus?

I’m no sheep nor jumping on a bandwagon; the attacking play (which Mourinho is responsible for) has been mind numbingly dull for most of the season.

You can't expect a player to be 8 or 9 out of 10 every match. What I expect is when they are not on their game, they still put the effort in. Lukaku has done that all season, even though I'm not his biggest fan. You cannot deny his commitment.

I know you disagree with me heavily on this Bob, but once we get come decent full backs and centre backs I expect an improvement going forward.

No one is saying it hasn't been mind numbingly dull all season and Fergie probably wouldn't have hammered them in public, that's where they are both very different managers.

Do you think Fergie would have accepted that attitude? That performance? Would they be let of scot free because there "young players"? No chance, there young players dying for a chance and they perform like that, unacceptable, I think Martial has put the final nail in his coffin on Friday!

You think that's an acceptable performance then knock yourself out, people screaming for Rashford to be given more chances, he would be nowhere near that starting 11 at the minute, nowhere near good enough.

I don't think anyone disagrees we need better fullbacks. Centre back would be nice if we can get a world class player but I think right flank and midfield are more important than cb. Truth be told we need quality all round the pitch. There are probably only 4 or 5 players you can say are nailed on starters next season

Agree Mr C, does not bother me in the slightest if someone has a bad game, it happens there not robots, but when they don't show any fight, commitment or work their (swear word) off then questions get asked.

Good thing is that for the foreseeable future the ones who do work will be playing more regularly, hopefully its a while before we see a Martial Rashford Mata front three again.

Rashford is simply struggling for form. He has been for a while the game against Liverpool aside he's not put in a good performance in a while.

Martial has mentally checked out I think. Both seemed to want to do too much alone on Friday.

I was angry and a little drunk come the end of the game but wasn't Luke Shaw more of an attacking threat in 20 minutes than Martial in 90?

I think the attacking play was terrible throughout full backs didn't get forward (probably under instruction), centre backs passes into midfield were very slow and long balls were poorly hit, in central midfield we were awful in terms of passing and final ball that was one of the worst games Pogba has had at Utd but Matic/Fellaini were also doing nothing to create & Fellaini got caught by the most basic of basic offside traps for his dissallowed goal. Mata I mean what was he even trying to do in that game and again like Pogba you will struggle to find a game where his end product has ever been that bad.

That leaves the two youngsters who were also rubbish but I don't get why they got singled out but they were no worse than some of the performances Lukaku & Sanchez have put in recently most notably against West Brom.

Really for me the fault for that performance lies with the manager you can't pick that midfield 3 and why did he change the entire front 3? He clearly accepted he'd got it wrong with his substitutions as soon as Lingard came on suddenly we were on the move again. Also, it is his job to motivate the players. Has he tried different techniques to get the best out of them or is he just going to continue beating them with a stick until they learn? Also, why is he putting in players he knows don't want to be here it seems clear that Darmian & Martial have checked out Fellaini is giving it the big one about holding the club to ransom over a new deal so why are they suddenly starting games? You give McTominay your player of the year award then make 6 changes and don't start him?

Post game the players deserved both barrels from the manager after West Brom a message needed to go out but it didn't need to single anyone out it needed to be a collective message that performances like that are not acceptable at Utd.

I’m all for giving players an absolute rollicking in the changing room after a game. However, I am not for players being criticised by Jose in the media. That’s why I was so appalled by his criticism of Shaw in the media. It should be kept in house.

it's just not the same as when Fergie was boss, whatever happens in the changing room will get out and probably not be factual. Might as well just call players out. I have no problem with it, he's only saying what we all think, seems a bit childish not to mention it to save their ego.

it's just not the same as when Fergie was boss, whatever happens in the changing room will get out and probably not be factual. Might as well just call players out. I have no problem with it, he's only saying what we all think, seems a bit childish not to mention it to save their ego.
I disagree. Don’t you think calling out players in the media by name undermines the trust between player and manager? I think a dressing down in private is what is needed. If you keep criticising your players in the media then it is going to result in a toxic atmosphere like it was towards the end of Jose’s Chelsea reign.

You can say things aren’t the same from Fergie’s time and there are things that have changed. But I think his philosophy of not dressing down his players in public is still something to live by for current managers.

he didn't name Martial or Rashford. He told the media why he always picks Lukaku when they are saying he shouldn't.

I'm not for it, I hate seeing what happens in the changing room coming out being public knowledge, and as stated previously it's not just them two who were shocking it was 90% of the side, but it is only them two that people talk about as not being given a chance, well they were given a chance and as said it wasn't just that they had bad games, they just didn't look like they cared.

You could employ all the tactics in the world but when were giving the ball away like we were, we couldn't even get up the pitch, the whole performance was just horrific, the reason I think Jose went to town on the attackers is that he gets asked why there not playing every single press conference, well boys there's your answer, they don't play because when they do, that's the result.

As IFID said above, bar the Liverpool game, Rashford has been shocking whenever he's played, I'm sure though we can find a reason why, Jose tactics? Upset that Sanchez has been bought? God forbid its actually the players fault that there not performing, that can't be right

but aren't people blowing this out of proportion, what is wrong with this?

“It was not good enough,” said Mourinho, who had made six changes to his lineup and asked those selected to impress before the FA Cup final. “The players who replaced others did not perform at a good level and, when individuals do that, it is difficult for the team to play well.

“Maybe now you will not ask me why A, B and C do not play so much. People always ask: ‘Why always Lukaku?’ Well, now they know why always Lukaku, and why always this player and why always that player. We are probably not as good as people think we are individually"

He's not balling out anyone.

Here's the interview, skip the first 1m it's ads.

I don't understand why there are people on here having a go at Mourinho for slating players, he didn't. It's like some people want to just hate Jose. Ok that's fine, but don't make things up. He's not named players, he's not even slated them really.

Do some people just read headlines rather than see the interview?

The actual bit where people are saying he slagged Rashford and Martial is minute 4. But the whole interview is worth a listen.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Personally don't have a problem with it, don't think he has said anything that didn't need saying, everyones far to bloody sensitive in this day and age, if a player can't handle that interview then he needs to grow a set

Personally don't have a problem with it, don't think he has said anything that didn't need saying, everyones far to bloody sensitive in this day and age, if a player can't handle that interview then he needs to grow a set
Think that’s the problem with the modern footballer, they are sensitive and their egos are easily bruised. So calling them out in public could be counter productive.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back