Who starts when Martial is available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideshow Bob

This has been touched on in the Memphis and Rashford threads. Who starts when Martial is available?

• Martial replaces Rashford?
  • Martial replaces Memphis?
  • Martial on the left and Memphis on the right or vice versa?
  • Martial replaces Mata?

It's such a difficult decision and one I know I wouldn't want to make as manager.

There's an argument to be made to keep all players in the side... But at the same time Martial has done nothing wrong to warrant being dropped! So what to do...

Personally I'd move Memphis to the right, bring in Martial on the left and leave Mata behind Rashford! The possibilities of all of those players interchanging positions is exciting. But that's harsh on Lingard who whilst he hasn't been brilliant he's not done a lot wrong.

Certainly though of the 4 main attacking players it would have to be Lingard who's dropped. Although he does work hard so would we lose some balance and defensive cover?

Martial right now is best cutting in from the left... Over the season he's been brilliant so there's no way I'd sacrifice him by playing him on the right. And Rashford in the last couple of games has been excellent and is that natural predator that we need. So in fact I think as a striker right now Rashford is better for us than Martial in the same position.

Ultimately though getting Martial back will give us options from the bench and we've been lacking that all season.

I know many see him as a striker in the long term but personally see Martial as a winger now and in the future. Don't think he's selfish enough to be a striker. Best player we have at beating players for pace and then creating chances. More likely that Martial will play on the right if it's a choice between him and Memphis. One has played there many times for us, the other hasn't at all.

More likely that Martial will play on the right if it's a choice between him and Memphis. One has played there many times for us, the other hasn't at all.

Sadly I think you are right here mate. Of the two Martial is the more talented and he's more likely to have an impact from either side. I don't think it's the right decision but it's the more likely.

But I do also agree that maybe his future doesn't lie as a striker... And that he's perhaps best off playing from the left where he can go past players and cut inside. He doesn't seem to make the right runs or get as involved when he plays through the middle.

Martial has been ineffective on the occasions he has played on the right. He should play on the left or as a striker. Memphis-Martial-Rashford on Sunday?

Think that looks the best solution. Big advantage to have 3 players who could arguably play in all 3 forward positions, if something isn't working, we can change it during the game like we did last night.

So are you @Sideshow Bob that we look to go 4-3-3?! I'd certainly be keen to see us try that as I think there's great potential to look at those players constantly interchanging. A bit like we had in the 09/10 season (I think it was that season anyway).

You could then look to play a midfield of Herrera, Schneiderlin and then Carrick or Mata depending on how attacking you want to be and who you are playing...

One things for sure in my mind and that's Martial should play on the left at this time. That's where he's played his best football and I don't see that it should change just because Memphis has decided to turn up in the two games he was injured.

Sorry, I meant 4-2-3-1, but only listed the 3 attackers.

I'm fine with 4-2-3-1, with a dynamic '2'; the formation is flexible and can easily switch between systems.

Not sure what the reason is but Van Gaal doesn't seem to be willing to play Memphis anywhere else but on the left. We should be using the 3 with flexibility, no fixed positions, changes can be made based on how the game is going or how players are performing, just like Van Gaal did the other night. All 3 could play left, centre or on the right which allows us to change things during the game without making a substitution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back