Who has been United’s best signing since Fergie retired?

Sideshow Bob

Inspired by @IDFD’s post in the Bruno Fernandes thread, who has been United’s best signing since Fergie retired?

It's only early days but I still think it's got to be Bruno!

The obvious answer is Pogba but the way that's gone hasn't been great. No one has really been a massive success. Ibra is obviously on the list. Martial, Shaw.

This season really is the first time that the entire starting 11 is built up of post fergie signings other than De Gea.

Just a reminder of the signings since Fergie. We have signed some real talent but a lot just haven’t worked out or lived up to expectation. You can’t really make a case for a lot of them to be honest.

Probably say Martial, then Ibra/Pogba and then Mata. It all says a lot about how poor signings have been when you can argue a good case for including Romero in the top 7 or 8.

19/20
Bruno Fernandes
Odion Ighalo
Aaron Wan-Bissaka
Harry Maguire
Daniel James

18/19
Fred
Diogo Dalot
Lee Grant

17/18
Romelu Lukaku
Nemanja Matic
Victor Lindelof
Alexis Sanchez

16/17
Paul Pogba
Henrikh Mkhitaryan
Eric Bailly
Zlatan Ibrahimovic

15/16
Anthony Martial
Morgan Schneiderlin
Memphis Depay
Matteo Darmian
Bastian Schweinsteiger
Sergio Romero

14/15
Angel Di Maria
Luke Shaw
Marcos Rojo
Ander Herrera
Daley Blind
Falcao
Victor Valdes

13/14
Juan Mata
Marouane Fellaini

Of those. Players that are still here:

1 of 2 in 13/14 (Mata)
1 of 7 in 14/15 (Shaw)
2 of 6 in 15/16 (Romero & Martial)
2 of 4 in 16/17 (Martial & Bailly)
2 of 4 in 17/18 (Lindelof & Matic)

The last 8 still remain.

8 players from 23 remain from 5 years worth of transfers. That really sums up our transfer policy and how poor it's been. I really do think the club have turned a corner with the latest signings in Maguire, AWB, Bruno, James. To some extent Fred and Dalot. Who even if not starting are still good parts of a squad. And Ighalo and Grant can be excused. One's an emergency situation the other is a third keeper. Never realized how awful the club were last summer though. Fred Dalot and Grant. No wonder that Mourinho was pissy!

Zlatan for me.

I think at the time he was exactly what we needed someone who didn’t let the shirt weigh heavy on him reminded people of the sort of character a utd player needs you need rock solid confidence and belief in yourself.

He delivered as well won us the league cup and fired us to the final in Europa league.

I think he will have left a lasting impression on the younger players to just a shame he came to late in his career.

Of those. Players that are still here:

1 of 2 in 13/14 (Mata)
1 of 7 in 14/15 (Shaw)
2 of 6 in 15/16 (Romero & Martial)
2 of 4 in 16/17 (Martial & Bailly)
2 of 4 in 17/18 (Lindelof & Matic)

The last 8 still remain.

8 players from 23 remain from 5 years worth of transfers. That really sums up our transfer policy and how poor it's been. I really do think the club have turned a corner with the latest signings in Maguire, AWB, Bruno, James. To some extent Fred and Dalot. Who even if not starting are still good parts of a squad. And Ighalo and Grant can be excused. One's an emergency situation the other is a third keeper. Never realized how awful the club were last summer though. Fred Dalot and Grant. No wonder that Mourinho was pissy!
Yeah it’s amazing how many signings have been poor. On paper a lot of them made sense, Depay was a young star who looked like he has the world at his feet, Schneiderlin looked perfect and was used to the league, Di Maria was world class for Madrid. I could go on but most of them turned out horribly.

Say what you will about Ole but the signings he is bringing in will be the cornerstone our team for the next 5-6 years you would say. Just got to build on them and carry on the good policy.

Just a reminder of the signings since Fergie. We have signed some real talent but a lot just haven’t worked out or lived up to expectation. You can’t really make a case for a lot of them to be honest.

Probably say Martial, then Ibra/Pogba and then Mata. It all says a lot about how poor signings have been when you can argue a good case for including Romero in the top 7 or 8.

19/20
Bruno Fernandes
Odion Ighalo
Aaron Wan-Bissaka
Harry Maguire
Daniel James

18/19
Fred
Diogo Dalot
Lee Grant

17/18
Romelu Lukaku
Nemanja Matic
Victor Lindelof
Alexis Sanchez

16/17
Paul Pogba
Henrikh Mkhitaryan
Eric Bailly
Zlatan Ibrahimovic

15/16
Anthony Martial
Morgan Schneiderlin
Memphis Depay
Matteo Darmian
Bastian Schweinsteiger
Sergio Romero

14/15
Angel Di Maria
Luke Shaw
Marcos Rojo
Ander Herrera
Daley Blind
Falcao
Victor Valdes

13/14
Juan Mata
Marouane Fellaini

Wow Forgot Victor Valdes played for us thanks for taking me back .
I think Zlatan was our best.

Yeah it’s amazing how many signings have been poor. On paper a lot of them made sense, Depay was a young star who looked like he has the world at his feet, Schneiderlin looked perfect and was used to the league, Di Maria was world class for Madrid. I could go on but most of them turned out horribly.

Say what you will about Ole but the signings he is bringing in will be the cornerstone our team for the next 5-6 years you would say. Just got to build on them and carry on the good policy.

I think all 3 were good signings just signed to play under the wrong manager Di Maria & Schniederlin's qualities just don't fit with style LVG played. Depay was just a step to big to soon for me he wasn't quite ready for the PL I was surprised Mourinho didn't give him more of a chance but I think his head was just gone at that point and he needed to move on.

Seems a lot more joined up thinking now those early years post Fergie were an absolute calamity they clearly weren't doing their homework on players just signing anyone they could get their hands on.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back