When will Mourinho be sacked?

Sideshow Bob

When will Mourinho be sacked? When top four is mathematically impossible? Or before?

Today was all Jose’s fault. Selection, formation and tactics all wrong, wrong, wrong today.

Even pro Jose supporters can surely see this now?

He’s gotta go.

I don't thinking was all Jose's fault in that the players were still bad no matter who was playing where. But tactically we were all over the place. Team selection rubbish. Subs rubbish. Probably should go but I wouldn't no who to employ

That is the problem.

Noble and Arnoutovic being interviewed saying the set up to win and didn’t care how Utd set up. They played their own game.

So why do we have a manager who sets up to counter the opposition and not play to our own strengths??

The decision to play McTominay at CB with Bailly on the bench and to not put Lingard or Sanchez on the bench today smacks of trying to get sacked.

Though I can’t say it’s all his fault. Did one player perform today? Perhaps Shaw had a decent game him aside and including De Gea they were absolutely shocking.

tomorrow hopefully but probably be once top 4 is over as it saves the club money and I don’t think they know what todo if he leaves.

Though I can’t say it’s all his fault. Did one player perform today? Perhaps Shaw had a decent game him aside and including De Gea they were absolutely shocking.

One or two players will be carried, even in good team performances, however it's surely the manager's fault if the whole team has under performed?

The decision to play McTominay at CB with Bailly on the bench and to not put Lingard or Sanchez on the bench today smacks of trying to get sacked.

No not one player really came out with any credit. A WHOLE team playing badly is down to the manager. It’s morale, it’s motivation, it’s tactics. Clearly there was none of that today.

He should be sacked immediately. Honestly at this point I feel like I did with Moyes and LVG. I'm almost willing this team to lose so we can get rid of him sooner.

Notice how you said "trying to be sacked". It's as if you just can't bring yourself to admit that he was just inept plain and simple. It sticks in your throat and you are unable to say it in a way that acknowledges he was trying to win the game and play well , and he just failed. You can't really believe that he was "trying to get sacked" because if he really was doing that then he should be sacked for trying to get sacked. That would be unacceptable in itself.

I'
He should be sacked immediately. Honestly at this point I feel like I did with Moyes and LVG. I'm almost willing this team to lose so we can get rid of him sooner.

I've been living that particular agony for weeks now. Welcome to a horrible club.

Notice how you said "trying to be sacked". It's as if you just can't bring yourself to admit that he was just inept plain and simple. It sticks in your throat and you are unable to say it in a way that acknowledges he was trying to win the game and play well , and he just failed. You can't really believe that he was "trying to get sacked" because if he really was doing that then he should be sacked for trying to get sacked. That would be unacceptable in itself.

I said ‘trying to be sacked’ because it’s the exact same thing I put in my teams WhatsApp group when I saw the line up. It was a strange selection choice and the only logic behind it I could see is he’s actively trying to lose his job.

Not sure if the situation is redeemable, we could very well win the next two games at OT against Valencia and Newcastle but the same problems will still be there. There seems to be a disharmony with the players, which isn’t all Jose’s fault but I think his character clashes with players. The atmosphere around the club is a little toxic, obviously the fans are still gonna be behind the club but behind Jose? Not anymore I don’t think. I wasn’t straight on the ‘Jose to be sacked’ bandwagon but things are not right and they feel a lot like when Moyes was in charge. The players play like they are strangers and have no cohesion or direction.

There has been some low times since Fergie left but this has to be right up there in terms of feeling disillusioned with the football.

Today hurt. Not just the loss but how we went about it. Other than Young and Shaw there didn’t seem a single player interested in fighting for the shirt. As much as I do hate sacking managers I’m not sure he can come back from a performance like that. What have the spent the week working on? Why did it take so long to make subs? Why weren’t Alexis and Lingard on the bench last week you’d decided they were your go to people.

Was he trying to prove that he’s right trusting Lingard and Sanchez because no-one else comes in and sets the world alight? Who knows.

Today is a hard day. I really thought the guys would come in today and show some fight and spirit. But instead we laid over like a dog getting its belly rubbed. So poor.

That is actually probably his thinking. And it annoys me just stick to your damn guns. Be full c*** Mourinho that doesn’t care what anyone else thinks. Stop giving us Mou lite

The club is absolutely toxic at present from the top, there's a divide between Woodward and Mourinho, Mourinho and players, players and players, Mourinho and fans, players and fans, and also fans and fans. United? Nope.

I'm really not sure where we go from here to be honest. Mourinho has to go first because it's only going to get worse from here while he remains at the club, once you lose the dressing room it's game over, people will blame Pogba but Mourinho's genuinely done everything possible to piss most of them off. But he isn't the only issue, everything looks a mess and ultimately that comes down to Woodward not knowing what he's doing on the football side of things. Either get someone to take charge until end of season, bring in a sporting director and conduct a proper search for someone or just go with Zidane, which is what I expect will happen, doubts over him due to the squad he had at his disposal but you don't win CL titles for being a bad manager. I'm still not sure what he's about as a manager but if he fits the bill and can give the players a lift then get him in because this is absolute bollocks what's happening right now.

If we got rid of Mourinho tomorrow I really hope we go the Conte route not Zidane.

I can’t bear Conte and his football is as dire, and he annoys players too. It’s just like having Jose. We need a complete change.

We can’t keep making radical changes. It’s ridiculous if we make a change it has to be to someone with similar ideals.

We can’t keep making radical changes. It’s ridiculous if we make a change it has to be to someone with similar ideals.
No that's absolute nonsense because then the next manager is just as dull and eventually loses the fans. You need a new manager with an attacking approach and then when it comes time to replace them you go for someone with similar ideas.

Can anyone see us beating Valencia at home on Tuesday? If we win does it just put off the inevitable until we lose again?

Can anyone see us beating Valencia at home on Tuesday? If we win does it just put off the inevitable until we lose again?

Yes it does. For me at this point things are too far gone. A win in our next game, hell a win in our next two or three is just papering over the cracks.

When its those very ideals that have caused the problems? Have you forgotten what the Pogba spat was all about?

Yes. This is what happened with the Burnley and Watford wins but then the cracks started to show again. Jose is like a wounded animal who might just be able to hang on for a while but he's slowly bleeding out. It's going to be a messy I'm afraid.

I can’t bear Conte and his football is as dire, and he annoys players too. It’s just like having Jose. We need a complete change.

It all comes down to having a manager that fits the clubs traditions. LVG and Jose did not fit those traditions so we lost our identity. It's time to return to our identity as a club. As Woodward I would suggest a complete review of everything from top to bottom and then go to Fergie and ask him what were the core principles that he used to get that success. It's not rocket science - work out what it was that we used to do well and try and replicate it again.

One thing I know , getting another Jose type manager is not going to work. We need to get someone who is as close to the Fergie template as possible. For me that might mean a Giggs or ex player. Someone who is at least going to try and replicate and someone who was there and knew how Fergie did things and went about his business. Giggs could even have Fergie's ear from time to time in the background. My philosophy would involve making use of the great man while he's still with us and before what we had becomes a distant memory.

If you are saying we can't change from Jose's ideals then I have to disagree. In truth I think it is time to write off the last 5 years. The owners, Woodward, hopefully the director of football need to sit down and talk to each other. Decide on the style of play they want to adopt and how to implement it. Shortlist the mangers that are best suited to that vision and employ the best available one.

I’m not saying we can’t change just that who comes in needs to be able to work with what we have. Managers such as Klopp Pep Poch would all struggle to do anything with a team whose full backs can’t get up and down the pitch. Poch rotates his full backs almost every 2 games at minimum because of how much work he requires them to do. Pep showed how much he struggles without full backs in his first season that’s why they spent £130m on them in his second summer. We can’t just go let’s get in this attacking manager and then decide actually we won’t spend £200m required on positions that won’t sell shirts. The manager we get in next has to be able to work with what we have.

And whatever we do keep Fergie away from any decision making. That’s how we ended up with Moyes.

That is actually probably his thinking. And it annoys me just stick to your damn guns. Be full c*** Mourinho that doesn’t care what anyone else thinks. Stop giving us Mou lite

This has been my problem with him from day one apart from that duel with Conte in the papers he’s never been full throttle Jose he’s looked a shell of the man he was.

Of course there will have to be a good amount of investment. Whether that is Jose or somebody else that is the case. There will also have to be good coaching and good scouting.

I said ‘trying to be sacked’ because it’s the exact same thing I put in my teams WhatsApp group when I saw the line up. It was a strange selection choice and the only logic behind it I could see is he’s actively trying to lose his job.

But you can't really believe that Jose was actively trying to get sacked? You know you don't believe that. That would be an outrageous thing to do , to cause United to lose so that you can escape a job rather than resign? That would be such a damning assessment of his character and it would suggest that he was and is and always was the wrong man all along.

There is of course another logic that you probably don't want to contemplate. Its that he's incompetent and he's not the man he was. If you allow yourself to think that then it would mean that you were wrong all along to defend him. Therefore you have to eliminate that option from being logical. The idea that he is trying his very best to win and still coming up woefully short is too difficult for you to entertain. I take no glee from this as its United that suffers , but it's just so hard to resist saying " I told you so".

I said ‘it smacks of trying to get sacked’ as was such the ridiculousness of the selection choice.

You can say I told you so all you want. I’ll still never see your negative way of thinking about united and taking glee from losses and will always think the negativity spread through the club has a large selection of the fan base to blame.

However I’d rather discuss how the club moves forward not an individual whose delighted with United dropping points.

Though I would hasten to add it’s naive to think managers would resign with 3 years on their contract at £15m a year. Would you willingly give up £45m?

Of course there will have to be a good amount of investment. Whether that is Jose or somebody else that is the case. There will also have to be good coaching and good scouting.

That’s why I like the idea of Conte. He’s a great coach and works with the players he’s given.

We need to get back to what the club is about; positive football, bringing young players in through recruitment or through our own academy and developing them into good or even brilliant players. If that means not getting Champions League football then so be it, Van Gaal and Mourinho were brought in because of the trophies they'd won, watching United should be enjoyable not boring our way to the title or top 4. For the past 10 months it's been a chore to watch United. I would much prefer to watch an energetic and positive young team than the current laboured, sit back, slow in possession team. We need to get someone in who gives us a reason to give them time, we can finish 8th and a manager can be given time if he warrants it. Out with the tired and old; Valencia, Fellaini, Matic, Mata, Sanchez, and lets build something, forget Champions League and trophies.

Trouble is Woodward and co want instant success and are picking proven trophy men that are maybe past it in the game, when we don't have the squad at present to bring those trophies, although Mourinho will leave us in much better shape in terms of playing staff than he had when he got here. We have a mostly young squad that needs developing, the tools are there with most of them but they need developing and Mourinho hasn't got time for that, he wanted and needed Alderweireld, Sandro, Perisic, Willian and whoever else. The club didn't back him despite giving him a new contract last winter which can be criticised but if they've lost faith then they are right to not back him and leave us with a team full of 28+ year old players but then also they should have just got rid of him in the summer.

Woodward wants to bring in young players with "sell on value" yet is appointing managers who require ready made players, and this is where the real problem lies and why a Sporting Director or whatever you want to call it is needed. Because at the minute there is no plan or idea. Either buy ready made and get the Mourinho's of the world in every 2-3 years or go with the current transfer strategy of players under 26 and get managers in that will work with and develop a young team. They need to make their mind up about what they want.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back