When will Diogo Dalot become first choice right back?

IDFD

What do people think. Be our first choice by the middle of October?

Potentially, but I still think Jose likes having Valencia at right back for his experience. I would love to see Dalot get a long run just to see what the kid can do but think he’ll have to play second fiddle for a bit.

Towards the end of the season or the start of next season. He looks a little raw, especially when defending.

My guess is next season expect him to rotate with Valencia in the first half of the season if he plays well consistently he'll probably take over but still think Mourinho will go to Valencia for the big games especially away from home where we are likely to be more defensively setup.

Said many times that Valencia needs to be phased out, didn't even travel for last night because they knew his knee couldn't handle a plastic pitch, has trouble training regularly, came back this summer in not good condition. If Dalot isn't ready (he probably isn't for Prem football), i'd prefer Young to Valencia as he seems to have the legs left for it. Think we saw the benefit last night of having 2 energetic full backs who can get up and down and provide width. Valencia was on his heels for the 2nd half of last season, which led to many passes going out of play when he used to be there ready for it or bursting on to it.

The worst thing Van Gaal did was sell Rafael and replace him with Darmian, we'd have a RB at his peak and a youngster, instead we've got a RB at the end of his career and one who's barely made 10 first team appearances, if he has even.

I’ve never understood letting Rafael go. Loved that guy. And for 2.5m? What was the point unlike Darmian the guy could still command a place in our starting 11 when we let him go.

£2.5m?! Was that all?

On the basis of Mourinho's policy, he'd have been club captain this season. And he would have been great in the role, was always very passionate on and off the pitch. Loved and still loves the club.

I signed him back on football manager. Was one of my favourite players when we had him. Fabio never grew on me but Rafa was a fiesty kid. Excellent going forward and the game where Fergie put the twins down the wing with I think O’Shea and Fletcher in CM against Arsenal was just fantastic! That was when Wenger was like ‘feck it I’ll never beat this guy again’

Just Checked it was

Rafael Gibson O’Shea Fabio....Haha

I’ve never understood letting Rafael go. Loved that guy. And for 2.5m? What was the point unlike Darmian the guy could still command a place in our starting 11 when we let him go.

Moyes ruined him totally broke his confidence like many others and if I recall the injuries that always dogged him started to emerge again.

We got 1 really good year out of him where he stayed fit and he was brilliant in that final Fergie season but he was one of many who didn't handle the change well and Utd sold loads of players on the cheap in an attempt to rebuild the squad which was necessary but was managed terribly by Woodward. RVP, Evra, Rafael, Evans, Nani, Hernandez all sold for less than £10m each and Kagawa/Welbeck sold for about £15m each. Vidic, Rio, Fletcher, Cleverley all gone for nothing. These are guys who won titles clubs who know what they're doing in the market would have got double what Utd got for these players but I don't really regret selling any of them just wish we'd signed better players than we did to replace them.

To be fair to Darmian at this point I'd have him and Dalot rotating at right back I think given a run of games he'd get his confidence back as he looks a totally different player in an Italy shirt. The Valencia/Young full back project needs to be scrapped we got a couple of decent years out of it but it really is time to move on from it.

I think he's a little way off from being ready to be first choice. He's very raw defensively and was targeted by Derby. Great cross for the equaliser though.

I think at this stage if he's physically fit enough it's time for him to go into the first team there really is nothing to lose Valencia is providing us nothing going forward maybe gives a bit more defensively but really it's time to put the kid in and see how he does.

I thought Dalot was all over the place. His positional sense and awareness was poor. He would be exposed against Premier League teams.

I thought Dalot was all over the place. His positional sense and awareness was poor. He would be exposed against Premier League teams.

Yeah he would bud. But he's young and he'll learn. And quite honestly I'm so fed up of watching Valencia give us nothing in attack. Like you would not think that guy was an attacking winger at one point. His crossing is atrocious. Hits the first man every single time.

Yes Dalot will make mistakes but I'd put some faith in him at home and away for the non big 6 games maybe if we need to be cautious play Valencia in the games vs the big 6 and important CL games but really at this point with no title to fight for we might as well blood him properly ready for next season.

Yeah I would be all up for giving him more and more chances. I don’t think it will happen though, Jose likes Valencia and he has been our captain after all. I think Dalot will get the odd game here and there but I still expect Valencia to chalk up more appearances than Dalot come the end of the season.

I like Dalot. Have we finally found a right back that can cross a ball into the box?
Valencia has been a good servant, but time and again he gets down the wing only to stop and come back again. Either that or he smashes the ball into the defenders shins hoping for the best.
As good as Young and Valencia have been, it is criminal that we are still using Fergies old wingers as full backs.
Shaw on the left, Dalot on the right and let Dalot adjust to the premier league and play into some form, no good playing once every 3 to 4 weeks.

What did people think last night then? First premier league start. Against a top side in the league who are known for their ability going forward. Just give him the starting position for me. This season is already pretty much a write off so just let him aclimitise.

That is a good shout. He was ok, didn't do too bad especially considering it was Arsenal.

I thought he did quite well. His positioning wasn't always great but on the whole worth persevering with. Maybe not every game but definitely a lot of game time.

I thought he did quite well. His positioning wasn't always great but on the whole worth persevering with. Maybe not every game but definitely a lot of game time.
Can I ask... Why not every game? Because Young has been so good? Because Valencia is a better option? Because the answer is those two questions are a resounding no. Dalot is only going to get better by playing him.

I’d say if he’s fit play him. He’s got to get used to two games a week and the quickest way to get used to the pace of the prem is to be involved not watching from the sidelines and grabbing 10 mins.

If we were in a title fight then I’d say no but we aren’t so we don’t need to be playing safe with Valencia and Young.

Nobody, except Matic, can play every game anyway. If he got a good 60% or so he will be doing well.

I guess there is problem with playing young players all the time when they get older. I think Owen said he suffered later in his career fr playing too much too early. Possibly Rooney too?

But yeah, he's probably our best option.

Mourinho said

The kid was fantastic. Gary Neville must be thinking United now have a very good right back for 10 years.

And said he’s the best young full back in Europe. So if you rate him that highly play him.

I like his Twitter feed. Last night he posted up the Martial song.

Also Dalot said ‘we’re obsessed with making sure we still make the champions league. It’s all I think about before sleeping. It’s our main goal now and for sure we’ll get there’

Like his attitude

Thought he was alright but clearly lacking fitness/sharpness after his injury as he was done after about 70 minutes which is why I think they moved to a back 4.

System left him exposed as he didn't have security of someone in front of him and Arsenal's left wing back was very attacking. He was caught out a few times but that's to be expected when you play good teams the important thing was it wasn't a repetitive thing once they did it once it didn't happen again.

Little disappointed in his quality going forward to many times his cross was blocked when he had time to get the ball in just took a little bit to long allowing the defender time to get close enough to block.

Still saw enough that I'd be happy seeing him start more games especially now that the league season is basically a write off we might as well give him chances.

Don't care what anyone says Darmian is still the best right back at this club he's not perfect but he's pretty reliable and if the club were actually capable of planning they'd probably play him and Dalot rather than the two old boys.

Hopefully as he gets a bit more fitness Dalot will takeover as the first choice right back within the next month.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back