What would you mark LVG out of ten for 1st season ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billabog5

Banned
For me it would be around a 6\10 at best
Some positives,the biggest being securing 4th place but I feel thats as much down to Liverpools awful season as to anything special Utd managed. The success stories were Ashley young, Marouanne Fellaini & Juan Mata, 2 of which were Moyes' buys. For the most part LVG';s buys didn't do very well, although for me the best of those, Herrera [ another Moyes target] was left out way too often early in the season as LVG tinkered to find the right formation & team & its no coincidence that Utd started to look good when he became a regular

Both DiMaria & Falcao have to go down as epic fails, I am not that crazy about Rojo other than as a squad player & Shaw was injured too often, but I think he will become a superb LB for the club. Blind was a good buy, he did a job wherever he played & was probably the most consistent performer all season

Somehow LVG managed to blunt 3 of the Worlds better strikers , not sure if it was the formation or style that did it.

Some of his decisions baffled me, having Phil Jones taking corners, playing DiMaria as striker & Rooney as a holding midfielder

There were some great moments, the performance at Liverpool was possibly the best I have seen a Utd team play at Anfleld in a decade , particularly in that 1st half . I think Depay is a great signing & I do expect a huge improvement next season

I was pleased he gave Smalling an extended run in his best position at CB. I think he become a stalwart of that defence

It wasn't pretty, but job done. The brand of football wasn't great to watch, highlighted by our chances created stat (Man City 532, Arsenal 470, Chelsea 466, Liverpool 435, Spurs 407, United 391), however the performances against Spurs, Liverpool and City gives hope for optimism. Managing the injury situation and results against bigger teams were two positives. His use of substitutions is an area where he can improve.

6/10. I expected more.

Di Maria has been disappointing rather than a flop.

A lot of the football was proper gash but in a weird way I enjoyed the season, very interesting goings on, found Van Gaal to be very intriguing. He sees the game in a different way, it's been an education. He's made a lot of changes at the club and continued to make some big changes as the season went on which perhaps hampered our season. He said a few times that the formation didn't matter but I think he had his reasons to stick with 3-5-2 for so long, I seem to recall him mentioning in pre-season that the players knew how to play 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 but not 3-5-2 and that's why he was using it. I think he sacrificed results to improve the players' tactical understanding. Sounds mad but it is Van Gaal. He could quite easily have played (his favoured) 4-3-3 from the start of the season and was widely expected to by many who had followed his career but he chose not to, why? I think he had his reasons.

6/10 but I think he's done a good job in difficult circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back