What would OGS have to do....

SuperRash

... to become our permanent manager.

It’s an interesting conversation I had with a United supporting mate today. He was already convinced he should be given the job full time because of the start. I was a little more pragmatic and said that it’ll take more than four wins to convince me, albeit four very promising wins.

So would he have to win a trophy? Make it to top four? Or could we miss out on both and he would still be in with a shot simply for his style of football and future potential?

If he gets top 4 from the position he started I’d let him have it

Needs to show tactical nous, especially against PSG and the big boys of the Prem.

If he does and we compete and play very well for the rest of the season, winning the majority of games, then why not give him a shot?

Saying that, I think we've already lined up Poch; that's why the club were happy to gamble with Ole.

Needs to get past PSG, decent run in FA cup, win some of the remaining big games in the league Spurs/Arsenal (a), City/Chelsea/Liverpool (h) if he could get say 10 points from 15 in those games and continue beating the weaker sides then I think he’s got a shot of carrying on.

I think he will need to show he can compete on all 3 fronts over the next few months but for him to get it I think Poch needs to turn us down as it feels like he is the number 1 guy but that’s just speculation.

Would United get an interim if they hadn’t already spoken to Poch? All the other possibles were available

Would United get an interim if they hadn’t already spoken to Poch? All the other possibles were available

I think they had no choice but appoint interim as the ready made replacement wasn’t available.

I think the decision was a bit try before you buy if Ole does well I think he will get the job but what qualifies as well is the issue?

Poch is a very expensive gamble but my guess is he’s been sounded out the problem is he’s on Madrid radar as well and they probably trump us because it’s an easier move for him to make.

Ole has the run of fixtures going for him at the minute. There are 12 very winnable games between now and the end of the season and only 5 against the big boys. We could finish the season on very nearly 80 points if things go well but I can't really see us buying anyone in January so he does have one hand tied behind his back and has to work with what he has.

I notice today Real are doing badly so that usually means the end of Solari, and there is only one manager I think they would want now in Poch so it could cause Utd problems in that department. Maybe doors will slide in Ole's favour, you just never know.

Ole has the run of fixtures going for him at the minute. There are 12 very winnable games between now and the end of the season and only 5 against the big boys. We could finish the season on very nearly 80 points if things go well but I can't really see us buying anyone in January so he does have one hand tied behind his back and has to work with what he has.

I notice today Real are doing badly so that usually means the end of Solari, and there is only one manager I think they would want now in Poch so it could cause Utd problems in that department. Maybe doors will slide in Ole's favour, you just never know.

Madrid may want Poch but will they be prepared to pay £40m to get him out of that Spurs contract? Money is tight in Madrid it's why the galactico spending has eased off as debts built up to build that team and as we can all see it's starting to creak it needs freshening up and they're planning work on the stadium.

I think with Madrid given the way they operate they're more likely to spend big on players than managers because they know managers come and go with them.

I think if we are still in the Champions League and FA Cup plus still in the hunt for top four come early April then I think he would have done enough to convince me. That way he would have won some very big games.

Premier League: Tottenham Hotspur 0-1 Manchester United - 13th January 2019

He's enhanced his reputation today.

Got to be his now, right?

I think given the lack of available alternatives it's becoming harder and harder to see why they wouldn't.

The improvement has been incredible and set backs have been attacked head on rather than used as excuses.

The PSG game was a disappointment but Mourinho was right in some of what he said last season Utd have not been a competitive CL knock out side for a long time and on the night things like the injuries went against us and we got punished.

The only mark against him is the transfer market stuff he hasn't done anything on that yet because he hasn't had to but the way the club is going with a director of football role he wouldn't necessarily be the guy for that anyway.

I think ideally the club wanted the DoF in first and to have him involved in the selection of the manager the success of Ole means that if they want to bring in a DoF they need one who'd be happy to have Ole as the manager.

He has done everything to prove he is worthy, and nothing to to use as a point against him.

I love the fact we have loads of injuries, and he is not using it as an excuse, it's all positive, we are Man United, we have a squad and youth system good enough to cope. So very positive, I imagine he's brilliant to work with.

Poch had negatives comments, Spurs lose, Ole positive, we win.

I don't think we'll make the CL if I'm being honest, we have harder games than the rest. Actually that's not true, I think it will be hard for us to make the top 4. But even getting this close is amazing considering where we were.

I do like the positivity around the ground, it for so hum drum under Jose that even the fans around here were getting a little depressed and despondent! Ole is always smiling and he has brought good vibes but more than that he’s actually shown his class as a manager. I’ve said it before it obviously helps he’s got a great team behind him. I think guys like McKenna and Carrick are having a real big influence on things.

I also agree that the lack of alternatives is also a major obstacle. Sure we could go for Pochettino but Levy is a bugger to deal with and we could end up having little time for transfers in the summer. Guys like Zidance and Blanc are options but for me I would give Ole the job tomorrow.

There are going to be times when it’s not as positive and things start going awry but I think he’s shown enough character and class to turn things around in the bad times. Hell top four looked a distant memory when he took over and look at us now - still in one hell of a battle but at least we’re in it.

He has done everything to prove he is worthy, and nothing to to use as a point against him.

I love the fact we have loads of injuries, and he is not using it as an excuse, it's all positive, we are Man United, we have a squad and youth system good enough to cope. So very positive, I imagine he's brilliant to work with.

Poch had negatives comments, Spurs lose, Ole positive, we win.

I don't think we'll make the CL if I'm being honest, we have harder games than the rest. Actually that's not true, I think it will be hard for us to make the top 4. But even getting this close is amazing considering where we were.

Tottenham definitely have the harder games. But they've also got a 5 point cushion to us.

Tottenham vs Big 6 remaining

Arsenal (H)
City (A)
Liverpool (A)

Arsenal Remaining:

Tottenham (A)
Utd (H)

Chelsea remaining:

Liverpool (A)
Utd (A)

Utd remaining:

Arsenal (A)
City (H)
Chelsea (H)

City and Chelsea in 4 days at the end of April will be very difficult to negotiate. A comfortable home win against Southampton whilst Tottenham and Arsenal play out a draw will set us up nicely before we travel to the Emirates.

The good thing for us, is we play the teams we are battling with. The Arsenal and Chelsea games are big.

I think the real test will be how the team reacts to a set back in a big game we saw vs PSG when they conceded they lost their heads but that happens in European football when a team has you on the ropes it's very hard to relieve that pressure even the "elite" teams have all had massive collapses in games it happens. PSG, Barca & City have all had teams blow them away in a short spell of a two leg tie in recent years it's how you bounce back.

It's now at the point where you have to wonder if it's even possible to go elsewhere I mean if Ole sustains this impossible form to the end of the season and doesn't get the job how does the new guy come in and top that? It almost becomes the impossible job of replacing the legend that everyone loves.

The big thing for me is he's clearly changed thing he hasn't just done what Di Matteo did at Chelsea and let a team that knows what it's doing get on with it he's having to guide young players and he's coming up with different tactical plans that work we've seen 4-3-3 used for possession and counter attack purposes and a 4-4-2 diamond when he didn't have wide players. He's flexible but not flexible in the way Mourinho was to stop the oppositions strength he's flexible in a way to punish the oppositions weakness.

It might be that in the next 3 months it falls apart and we end up 5th or 6th because the injuries catch up the fixtures/results go against us that's football but I doubt we will end up being 11 points off 4th place by the end of the season which is where we started.

I don't think we lost our heads against PSG, we lost our tactic with the Lingard/Martial injuries. I think that was also the one mistake Ole made, he should have brought Lukaku on for Lingard.

There is no way he can't get the job now, he plays right, he talks right, the players love him, and he is united through and through. He has probably already been told it's his.

I don't think we lost our heads against PSG, we lost our tactic with the Lingard/Martial injuries. I think that was also the one mistake Ole made, he should have brought Lukaku on for Lingard.

There is no way he can't get the job now, he plays right, he talks right, the players love him, and he is united through and through. He has probably a;reday been told it's his.

I think our heads went for about 10-15 minutes after the first goal we lost all our shape and control it was panic stations the subs were a contributing factor we didn't adjust to the changes but we were all over the place and in that money the game was gone.

It's easy to be wise after the event with the subs but it's clear that he doesn't really trust the guys who aren't in his first choice XI he obviously doesn't fancy Fred, Lukaku or Sanchez or maybe even Mata.

I wasn't happy at all when talk of appointing Ole surfaced; I thought it was a crowd pleasing bit of short termism. I am very very happy to be proved wrong.

Ole has done everything we've asked of him: the team's playing attacking football yet defending well; the tactics have been spot on; we've got great results against Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea and PSG; he's saying all the right things to the media and by extension, the dressing room.

Ole has put a smile back on all our faces. Give the man the job.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back