What do we still need?

jsp

Top Poster Of Month
I think it's pretty safe to say Utd won't be doing any more business coming in this window so focus will move to the summer moves now.

So what do people think we need this summer?

What I find strange is the answer to the "what do we need" question changes like the wind. I think that's because we have a lot of players who have a good run of form but can't sustain it so we think we've found a solution which then quickly become a problem position again.

GK ~ No issue if DDG stays, may require a backup option if Romero leaves. Joel Periera would be a risky option to have as number 2 but is very highly rated by the manager and club.
RB ~ Valencia will stay and possibly promote Fosu-Mensah as the backup right back to Valencia next season, give him a chance to make that position his own.
LB ~ Shaw/Young give good enough balance on that side.
CB ~ Bailly is the clear number 1 but injuries are a problem with him. Lindelof/Smalling/Jones/Rojo in my opinion provide a decent but not world class option when partnered with Bailly.
CM ~ Matic/Herrera will be the only option for this position at the end of the season with Carrick retiring and Fellaini likely to leave. Periera/McTominay could become more regular
Pogba ~ this guy doen't have a position he's just Pogba and we can't even try and get another one of him.
Attackers ~ Rashford/Martial/Mata/Lingard/Sanchez/Lukaku. These 6 players cover attacking positions depending on the system we play.

This summer as it stands I'd say we need an attacking player who is comfortable playing on the right unless Sanchez plays that role and makes it his own, centre mid I'd be looking to upgrade Matic he's been ok but there's been a noticeable drop off I'd look for a younger version of him who he can play with. I'd also like another centre mid with a bit more attacking ability that could be Periera but I don't see Mourinho ever playing a midfield 3 that has Periera and Pogba together.

I just said this actually on another thread.

Pogba is our best player and we need to play 433 to get the best out of him

So we need a cm and a right sided forward. Probably two mids if we lose Carrick and Fellaini but I think it's about time we gave Pereira a chance.

I don't think you buy Sanchez and play him on the right long term. It's interesting in his interview he mentioned playing centrally and left, but never mentioned playing right.

I'd like to see us ship out a CB and buy some real quality. And we need a RB

I want to raid Madrid for Kroos and Varane. If they do come for Dave, this would be my standing point.

My summer wish list would be on the basis that the following leave:

Darmian, Blind, Fellani, Carrick, potentially Herrera, Zlatan, Mata

GK: De Gea and replace Romero if he leaves.

DR: Valencia with Fosu-Mensah as his back up.

DL: Shaw/Young.

CB: Bailly/Jones then Rojo, Smalling, Lindelof, Tuanzebe as back up.

DMC: Matic/Buy either Weigl/Jorginho or someone similar.

MC: Pogba/Buy Vidal (if on a free) and one of Saul, Seri, Kroos, Solar, Isco (take your pick lol).

LW: Martial/Rashford
CF: Lukaku/Rashford/Sanchez
10: Buy Ozil or Dybala/Lingard
RW: Sanchez/Pereira

4 Players in this summer IMO

Tuenzebe for me needs a season out on loan there's even talk he'll be going on loan at end of January depending on the fitness of the other centre backs unless we suffer an injury crisis all of a sudden he needs to be allowed to go and play either at a championship club or a premier league club but the target has to be get him 10 first team games somewhere. Like Fosu-Mensah he's proved he's versatile playing RB, CB & DM in the first team but he just needs to play some proper football.

My only rule this summer is NO SQUAD PLAYERS buy players that improve the first XI, those who lose positions become squad players and the guys below that need to leave you don't improve your squad by strengthening the middle you do it by improving the top quality then moving others down a level.

Yeah agree with that mate, yeah talk Tuanzebe going to Villa this month which would be a good move and if we could get him to a Swansea/Palace/Brighton etc next year a season there would do him the world of good.

Yeah I think CM with a few going he will be looking to bring in two maybe even three in, can see 433 away from home being the go to formation now that he has Sanchez and Martial with Lukaku.

I think he will look at Herrera for the remainder of this season in the big away games but that is an area where I can see us spending 70/80m on a top top CM and obviously a big RW if Sanchez is to play in the middle behind Lukaku, not sure who though!

Villa are in the playoffs though and have one of the best defences in the division. Villa have Sam Johnstone on loan from us not sure if they can take another aren't their rules about only being able to take 1 player on loan from another team? Think that might only apply to teams in the same division though.

They've just let De Leat go out on loan as he can't get a game they have Terry & Chester at CB with Hutton RB so I don't really see where he plays he'd be cover in case of injury as he's not going to put a kid in when they're chasing a playoff spot experience will always get played ahead of youth when it comes to loan players. He'd be sitting there waiting for someone to get injured I think he'd need a club who are maybe stranded a bit in mid table where he can just get 10 appearences in for them.

My position on these kids is unless you're a Rashford who at 17/18 jumps straight in the first team and never looks back it's going to be tough because you won't get time to learn on the job at Utd anymore you have to hit a point where at 21/22 you are good enough to play in Utd's first team regardless of who we bring in. You get some exceptions like Lingard who everyone said was talented but needed to physically develop before he could compete at our level and despite his recent spurt of form there will be doubts over his long term effectiveness.

If I was either of the two young defenders currently around the first team I'd be looking at trying to get as many games at RB as possible for the rest of the season as that is the weak spot in the defence as Mourinho has 4 or 5 CB's that you'll never get ahead of with Valencia in his 30's and Darmian looking like he's off either this month or at the end of the season there's a chance you can get a few games there.

People are talking about central midfielders. Wilshere on a free if he stays fit between now and July?

Matic

Wilshere Pogba

Sanchez Lukaku Martial

Centre mid is definitely a problem area due to probable departures. If Shaw can tie that LB position down that would be a great help as we can focus on midfield. I'd like to see Fosu-Mensah and Pereira both brought in to the squad with Tuanzebe and McTominay having loans. If Romero leaves, i'd like to see an experienced #2 brought in with Joel Pereira going out on loan.

A lot of it boils down to any outgoings, can only be close to certain about midfield with Carrick retiring and Fellaini looking likely to leave.

Out
Romero
Carrick
Smalling
darmian
Blind
Fellaini
Mata
Ibra

In
1 of Jorginho/Seri/Vidal
Ozil
Gelson Martins
chicharito
TFM, Pereira, Tuanzebe promotions.

3 squad promotions. Ozil on a free. Vidal on the cheap as he only has a year left on his Bayern deal. Hernandez as back up think his about 10 million. Martins or someone similar with pace to burn on the right.

4-3-3 should be the way forward, therefore I would like to see the arrival of a top class midfielder and a left back in the summer. The new left back would rotate/compete with Shaw, leaving Valencia, Young and Fosu-Mensah for right back.

Who I would let go:

Defence: Blind, Rojo, Darmian.
Midfield: Fellaini, Mata.
Striker: Ibrahimovic.

People are talking about central midfielders. Wilshere on a free if he stays fit between now and July?

Matic

Wilshere Pogba

Sanchez Lukaku Martial

July 2018 or 2019?

He’s back in form but I think he’s dodging tackles because he knows if he goes in hard he’s going home in an ambulance can’t see anyone taking a gamble on him.

Villa are in the playoffs though and have one of the best defences in the division. Villa have Sam Johnstone on loan from us not sure if they can take another aren't their rules about only being able to take 1 player on loan from another team? Think that might only apply to teams in the same division though.

They've just let De Leat go out on loan as he can't get a game they have Terry & Chester at CB with Hutton RB so I don't really see where he plays he'd be cover in case of injury as he's not going to put a kid in when they're chasing a playoff spot experience will always get played ahead of youth when it comes to loan players. He'd be sitting there waiting for someone to get injured I think he'd need a club who are maybe stranded a bit in mid table where he can just get 10 appearences in for them.

My position on these kids is unless you're a Rashford who at 17/18 jumps straight in the first team and never looks back it's going to be tough because you won't get time to learn on the job at Utd anymore you have to hit a point where at 21/22 you are good enough to play in Utd's first team regardless of who we bring in. You get some exceptions like Lingard who everyone said was talented but needed to physically develop before he could compete at our level and despite his recent spurt of form there will be doubts over his long term effectiveness.

If I was either of the two young defenders currently around the first team I'd be looking at trying to get as many games at RB as possible for the rest of the season as that is the weak spot in the defence as Mourinho has 4 or 5 CB's that you'll never get ahead of with Valencia in his 30's and Darmian looking like he's off either this month or at the end of the season there's a chance you can get a few games there.

Yeah just telling you what seen on Sky and Twitter mate, apparently Villa have approached and talks have taken place, couldn't tell you regarding the rules no idea what the crack is with more than one, seen that De Laat has gone on loan, think Villa are third at the minute aint they, if he plays great move but there is no way Jose will authorise a move for him if he is just going to sit on the bench.

I was thinking that Swansea would be a good place for him, him and that Mawson at the back would certainly look half decent. As long as he gets game time and is not in League 1 I'm happy, could not care less where he goes as long as he plays.

Out
Romero
Carrick
Smalling
darmian
Blind
Fellaini
Mata
Ibra

In
1 of Jorginho/Seri/Vidal
Ozil
Gelson Martins
chicharito
TFM, Pereira, Tuanzebe promotions.

3 squad promotions. Ozil on a free. Vidal on the cheap as he only has a year left on his Bayern deal. Hernandez as back up think his about 10 million. Martins or someone similar with pace to burn on the right.

That Martins is a good shout, hadn't thought of him, quite like the look of that Leon Bailey at Leverkusan, but not to sure if he plays right or left, probably left haha

Matic

Wilshere Pogba

Sanchez Lukaku Martial
There will always be a doubt over Wilshere, not sure any of the top clubs will go near him. Best thing to do for him is prove his fitness, get a new deal at Arsenal and take it from there.

That Martins is a good shout, hadn't thought of him, quite like the look of that Leon Bailey at Leverkusan, but not to sure if he plays right or left, probably left haha
Yeah Bailey plays on the left or as a striker I believe. No-one plays right side these days! :p Top young player, sure he could play right side. Someone like Martins or Inaki Williams would be a good signing.

OUT: Romero, Darmian, Blind, Carrick, Fellaini, Ibra, Tuanzebe (loan)

IN: Pereira (from loan), Seri, Dybala and Kimmich/Meunièr

Personally that would be a terrific summer. Kimmich is unlikely but he would be a great replacement for Valencia, although someone like Meunièr would be sufficient.

Tuanzebe having his Villa medical today, be good if he gets game time for the rest of the season.

Tuanzebe having his Villa medical today, be good if he gets game time for the rest of the season.
It’s a big if, a lot of these youngsters get loan moves away but they very rarely play. Obviously if he plays regularly then great but if he just sits on their bench then it’s pointless.

I read when Cardiff signed that Liverpool youngster Gruijic on loan that Cardiff will have to pay Liverpool compensation if the player doesn’t make a certain amount of appearances. Think that’s something that a lot of the Premier League clubs should do to ensure their youngsters actually play.

The good news is Mourinho said at the start of Jan that we’d only be letting him go on loan if all our defenders were fit. So Bailly must be returning

It’s a big if, a lot of these youngsters get loan moves away but they very rarely play. Obviously if he plays regularly then great but if he just sits on their bench then it’s pointless.

I read when Cardiff signed that Liverpool youngster Gruijic on loan that Cardiff will have to pay Liverpool compensation if the player doesn’t make a certain amount of appearances. Think that’s something that a lot of the Premier League clubs should do to ensure their youngsters actually play.

I think the way it works normally on loan deals is you pay a fixed fee to the club and agree a proportion of the wage but in some cases the clubs will put in place incentives so if he starts or comes on as a sub in games the fixed fee or the amount you pay towards his wage gets reduced.

The issue is I looked at Villa's squad the other day they've got Hutton at RB, Chester & Terry playing at CB right now so Tuenzebe will be going their as backup and it's very rare that you sub centre backs or even full backs in games so he's basically relying on someone getting injured to get a game. The only positive is he should at least be on the bench and when he does get playing time it's in competitive games that mean something as Villa are going for playoffs.

Yeah remember you saying yesterday about Chester/Terry, hopefully he can force his way in and Jose seems him as a bit of a diamond of a defender so I would be amazed if there wasn't an agreement in place that says he will be starting games, or will make x amount of appearances, can't see Jose being to happy if he goes there and sits on the bench.

I remember Sam Johnston having a difficult start and I think Brad Gozan or whatever he is called was there, but he has proved to be a great success at Villa so fingers crossed Tuanzebe can follow suit.

Seen yesterday that United are expecting Bailly to be fit for the first leg of Seville so fingers crossed.

Yeah remember you saying yesterday about Chester/Terry, hopefully he can force his way in and Jose seems him as a bit of a diamond of a defender so I would be amazed if there wasn't an agreement in place that says he will be starting games, or will make x amount of appearances, can't see Jose being to happy if he goes there and sits on the bench.

I remember Sam Johnston having a difficult start and I think Brad Gozan or whatever he is called was there, but he has proved to be a great success at Villa so fingers crossed Tuanzebe can follow suit.

Seen yesterday that United are expecting Bailly to be fit for the first leg of Seville so fingers crossed.

I'm always wary of the Mourinho praising youngsters thing he knows his record of bringing through youngsters isn't great and it was a black mark against his name when he got the job so I think he does pay a bit of lip service at times with the media. I think it's fair to say he recognises the talent of Tuenzebe but he still told the club to go and spend £30m on Lindelof in the summer who at 22 was also a developing player so I wonder how much he really means what he says about the young players at Utd. It wasn't like he sold one of his more experienced centre backs either and since Lindelof also plays right back he's put a massive barrier in his way to the first team.

Jose knows his job relies on him getting results with the first team so his focus is always going to be on that as for him that's what pays the bills if the academy can produce players who at 21 are better options than what he can bring in from elsewhere I think he will use them in his squad but I don't think he's going to take risks because he knows if he's having a bad season he might lose his job.

Don't think Johnstone has had any problems he played 21 games last season and has played 28 this season so from the moment he arrived he's been the number 1 I think he wasn't to popular with fans when he joined last season but that's well in the past. Contract expires at Utd this summer so he'll be off on a free but Utd will get compensation for him.

I'm always wary of the Mourinho praising youngsters thing he knows his record of bringing through youngsters isn't great and it was a black mark against his name when he got the job so I think he does pay a bit of lip service at times with the media. I think it's fair to say he recognises the talent of Tuenzebe but he still told the club to go and spend £30m on Lindelof in the summer who at 22 was also a developing player so I wonder how much he really means what he says about the young players at Utd. It wasn't like he sold one of his more experienced centre backs either and since Lindelof also plays right back he's put a massive barrier in his way to the first team.

Jose knows his job relies on him getting results with the first team so his focus is always going to be on that as for him that's what pays the bills if the academy can produce players who at 21 are better options than what he can bring in from elsewhere I think he will use them in his squad but I don't think he's going to take risks because he knows if he's having a bad season he might lose his job.

Don't think Johnstone has had any problems he played 21 games last season and has played 28 this season so from the moment he arrived he's been the number 1 I think he wasn't to popular with fans when he joined last season but that's well in the past. Contract expires at Utd this summer so he'll be off on a free but Utd will get compensation for him.

Your a cynic mate a cynic haha yeah vaguely remember him making a few high profile mistakes early on last season and lost his place but fought back brilliantly and was number one consistently, don't quote me though, a little similar to TFM, was in then out of the team and now back in.

I'm a massive fan of Tuanzebe, he looks to me like the best young player we have had in a while (don't go mental at me, hanging myself out to dry a bit here but.....) if he had the same opportunities that Rashford had to establish himself (through injuries etc.) I think he could easily have made just as big an impression, as a CB he just seems to have the lot, time will tell though hopefully he has a great 6 months at Villa.

I can see @jsp chomping at the bit now to respond lol

I just feel that with this manager I've heard it all before and to be honest I'd rather he didn't have to try and spin his record with young players into something it isn't because he's got the job at Utd based on his track record for winning trophies not because he's a great developer of young talent or plays attractive football.

Where Mourinho I think is a master is giving guys who are 22-23 that killer edge he installed that in players like Terry, Drogba, Lampard, Cech, Ashley Cole, Joe Cole etc he turned them from boys into men who could stand up to anyone and handle anything you threw at them. You hear the way Zlatan talks about him saying how he changed him into the player he became.

I think he's happy doing that bit but he's not really happy with the 18-21 bit where the youngsters will make mistakes that cost him points which cost him titles which might cost him his job. Like if Shaw, Martial & Rashford stick around and be patient he could really turn them into something special if they listen to him but I think they could all get itchy feet if they're not always starting games.

I don't watch any of the U23 or academy games as I refuse to put any money directly in the Glazers pocket by paying for MUTV and I'm not bothered enough to stream a youth team game so I can't really comment on the ability of these kids. All I can say is that under this manager at 18-21 you need to be as good or better than the senior guy in the team if you want a shot. Rashford clearly is so he plays but guys like Tuenzebe/TFM probably aren't when he watches them in training so the better players will play.

Jose Mourinho will reportedly have £200million to complete a summer transfer overhaul and the Portuguese has settled his shortlist.
According to the Sun's reports, the transfer games have already begun at United and Jose is certain on which players he wants to add to the Red Devils' assets.

They are:

• Tottenham's duo Toby Alderweireld & Danny Rose

• Napoli's midfielder Jorginho

• Juve's left-back Alex Sandro

• Arsenals right-back Hector Bellerin

• Celtic's defender Kieran Tiernay

So we are signing 3 left backs?

Not sure 200m is going to cover all that.

Also, not been very impressed by Bellerín in the last 2 years that speed that made him so effective doesn’t seem to be there anymore and Rose concerns me massively as he’s hardly played in the last 18 months because of injury.

Alderwiereld very much seems available as he’s not signing that new deal and Pochettino has already started phasing him out it would seem.

Could you imagine Mourinho doing what Liverpool to City with the likes of Milner and Henderson in his team.

Mourinho doesn't have the players though...

I'm by no means anti-Mourinho, but the players at his disposal should be performing to a higher standard.

Conversely imagine what they would be saying about mourinho had he had citys players and got that result

Well the proof is there that if you get in Citys face, press them and keep them on the back foot they aren't the team we thought they were. Could be interesting what Jose will do. Or maybe not.

Maybe City just had an off night. Lets see what happens next week before we write off how good a team they are. That business with the team bus was sure to have an effect, it was disgusting. UEFA should be all over that.

United cannot attack like Liverpool, we do not have the players. I think he should play the same team he payed against Liverpool with the same tactics, but Pog for Mctom

Milner and Henderson might not be stars, but they know their role and stick to it. They don't wander off doing what they want because they don't like the role they have been given.

Klopp has got his team playing a style of football that works against the top sides. Teams that want space at the back and pass out are going to have trouble against him. However his teams don't pick up the required points against the smaller sides to challenge for the league. City have lost 4 games all season? 2 of them to Liverpool.

I think come the semi's City would have a better chance than Liverpool. I can see Madrid, Barca and Munich all knowing how to beat Liverpool over two legs.

Also, not been very impressed by Bellerín in the last 2 years that speed that made him so effective doesn’t seem to be there anymore.

Bellerin was really out of form start of the season but since February he's been fantastic in a poor Arsenal team.

Bellerin was really out of form start of the season but since February he's been fantastic in a poor Arsenal team.

Have to take your word on that as I don't watch them very often but he isn't one who has really caught my eye when I do watch them play.

He was quite poor last season as well seem to remember him rushing back from an injury and not looking the same player and maybe that carried over into this season.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back