Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we did see signs of a frustrated Rooney! he kept losing the ball trying to get past defenders and he was going to ground kinda easily at times!

But his Goal today was fantastic and hopefully there's more to come. given the season he's had i think 15 goals would be a great achievement!

Starting to regain confidence in front of goal. The return of Park and Valencia might help him even more.

For the first time in god knows how long i thought this is the real Rooney i know he's been scoring but today he was immense. That tackle on Sagna was great.

Everything was a lot better from him today, reminded me of the Rooney from before last season. Great time for him to return to form and Valencia to come back.

He was really enjoying playing as the Attacking midfielder, and he was showing enough discipline, tracking back and helping out the defense. Made some very nice passes also! will he like Scholesy eventually become a central midfielder?

It was noticeable that at the start of the season that Wayne had a heavy touch almost every time he was on the ball, he was clearly lacking a bit of confidence.

I think the wonder goal that he scored a while back has got him back on track now. Also his chasing back game is coming back.

Was told before the game yesterday that Rooney had been training as a CM all week. He was like a box-2-box player yesterday, and to me proved that its what we're missing. He brought that drive we've been missing in the middle of the park.

I though he regressed when he was put out to the left, i woul;d rather have him as an AM

He was more effective on the left yesterday than he has been when played there so far this season, but I agree, was much better in the middle.

I though he regressed when he was put out to the left, i woul;d rather have him as an AM
I'd be in agreement with that, just a personal view but i hate to see Rooney playing out on the left. I know there's been talk about him in midfield etc but the guy is a striker and that's where he should be playing up front.

Missed them long shots he used to have too when he had #8 and used to play behind RvN. I miss that Rooney. That was the Real Rooney and I think he prefers it too, he likes having the freedom to run about all over the pitch.

Good to see that we have (or can have) other players versatile addition to Brown, O'Shea and Fletcher, for example. His performance against Arsenal was quite good, his best performance in ages.

I don't think believe that Ferguson will do it but, I think it would be interesting at some point (in pre-season, preferably), try a 4-3-1-2 with Rooney as AM and Berbatov - Chicharito up front.

How would Nani and Valencia fit in that? Only reason why i'm not keen on that. Could be a nice little Plan B/C I suppose though.

Thought he was excellent again tonight, seems to have been revitalised with moving back to his old position of just being allowed to do whatever the hell he likes. Let him run free and express himself.

He played like a proper number 10 tonight. His range of passes and vision was top notch. He looks more settled when he is given the freedom to roam.

Unbelievable to think it's around a year since that injury.

How would Nani and Valencia fit in that? Only reason why i'm not keen on that. Could be a nice little Plan B/C I suppose though.

I think this formation will only work as an emergency plan. The midfield would be very exposed with Valencia, Carrick and Nani, for example. Park, Carrick and Fletcher Could be more suitable. I think that would be valid only in an emergency case, like if all of our main wingers be injuried. But I still think it would be interesting to see this tested in a preseason game.

He has been very poor.
Let's be honest, he has only found form over the last 4 weeks. He has been on holidays since last August

Bit harsh that in my opinion, while he wasn't scoring at the start of the season, he was providing assists. He also had to come through injuries. He was average, far from best, very poor is harsh.

Another good game from Rooney again tonight, I felt. Though he did not score, he was behind almost every attacking move. His first touch has returned, and he runs with the ball with menace again after a long period of looking labored and disinterested. He brings out the best in Chicharito and vice versa. Though other than the fact that he didn't score, my one complaint about his performance today was that in a few instances, he did not sprint up to support Chicharito whenever the latter broke free of the defence, resulting in Chicharito not having anyone to cross to. That said, it was probably because Rooney was sitting too deep compensating for the disappearance of Gibson.

With a proper Scholes replacement next season, like Sneider or Modric, Rooney will thrive in the 'hole'.

Why not keep berba and chich up front with rooney playing the AM....? Rooney played in midfield late in the game yday and he was excellent..he needs a better defensive midfielder by his side but i felt like that could be a good position for him. he's always gonna score goals anyway...might even get more long shots from him, like scholes

I prefer him in the #10 role, he adds a lot to the team as a whole as he's not just running around upfront like he was last year. He's all over the pitch. Carrick and Rooney are our 2 key men in the team. Carrick links defence with midfield. Rooney links midfield with Hernandez.

14 goals and 13 assists for Rooney this season now. 3 goals off his worst goalscoring season, has played a deeper role this season though and didn't score for about the first 4 months of the season.

With his new 'position', he is surely showing his true potential. Maybe last season's talk about him winning World Player of the Year was too vain, but if he were to continue to develop the way he has been doing in the past months into next season, he could be in for a shout next season. On his form, and in this position, he is the complete footballer.

It'll be interesting to see if we keep the same formation. It'll also be interesting to see him over the next few years and see whether he'll move even deeper into midfield perhaps.

It'll be interesting to see if we keep the same formation. It'll also be interesting to see him over the next few years and see whether he'll move even deeper into midfield perhaps.
Personally i'm against Rooney playing in midfield but i can see why people would feel he could play there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back