Wayne Rooney | Match Discussion thread 2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he was excellent. The worry of having him in a wide position is that he won't provide the width/pace/threat of a Lingard, Martial, Rashford... However when the latter three have played lately they have been so ineffective. The least you will get from Rooney is involvement in a game. He will always get on the ball, take the initiative and try making things happen... Now we all know that lately most of those things haven't come off... But when the alternatives are being so ineffective then I see it as nothing to lose by starting Rooney there.

Premier League: Manchester United 1-1 Arsenal - 19th November 2016

Good when he came on. Touch has been much improved of late which has been great to see. Think he plays his best football now as a striker but just doesn't seem to have the goals in him like he used to.

Yeah he looks a different player. But I agree, you cannot see him hitting 15-20 goals a season ever again.

Don't think he's hungry for the goals anymore, seems to want to help others more now. It was good to see him being selfish with that goal the other week against Fenerbahce, want more of that from him as an attacking player.

Europa League: Manchester United 3-0 Feyenoord - 24th November 2016

Nice little finish.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Very good performance again. Didn't expect him to come back like this but no one can argue that dropping him was for the best, and it's done him the world of good. Now enjoying his performances again instead of bemoaning every touch and getting really frustrated with him. There were people on twitter who seemed to think I was enjoying seeing him play bad but I wasn't, it was hard to watch as I knew what he could do and it wasn't happening for him.

Seems to have gotten his mojo back. I had the belief, which I think lots of others shared, that Rooney had disintegrated as a physical athlete, however based on his recent showings - perhaps it was a mental issue (confidence) to explain for his poor showings. He seems to have more direction and purpose in his role now, which he didn't have under Moyes and van Gaal.

League Cup: Manchester United 4-1 West Ham United - 30th November 2016

He was very good. He's had a good November.

I quite like this bearded Rooney. He seems to have rediscovered his love for the game and is giving it his all.

Start of season was worst i've ever seen him, really thought that was the sign that he was done. His reaction to being dropped has been superb, playing best football i've seen from him for quite some time. Become a bit of a mix of his younger self and the more mature player of 2010-2013. Got a bit of fire back in that belly.

Premier League: Manchester United 4-0 Reading - 7th January 2017

Played well again today. First touch was consistently good, should have broken the record today though.

Great for him that he equalled the record today and now he can turn his attention to taking the lead.

Didn't do much wrong today but then to be honest he didn't do a great deal especially in the second half. But that's to be expected as he hasn't played a lot in recent weeks. He got a run out and that was important for him.

Thought the whole team took it easy in 2nd half. It was comfortable.

Premier League: Stoke City 1-1 Manchester United - 21st January 2017

What a way to become your clubs top scorer.

Commentator sums it up really... Not just a great goalscorer (in fact I'm not even sure he is) but he's a scorer of great goals.

What sets Rooney apart from others is that at his peak he was scoring and working his bollocks off for the team too. If he hadn't worked as hard and concentrated on scoring like Ronaldo has, he would have got an extra 10 goals a season, maybe more and would have been revered like Messi, Ronaldo etc.

Yeah he was always a team man. Played a lot of games in midfield, left flank etc. He is passed his best now I think but his attitude has been good. If he is hapl5to be a squad player then there is no problem with him being there.

I've been surprised by him this season in how well he's handled being on the bench every week. Something I said was one of the reasons it would be best for both him and us to go our separate ways but seems happy to be at the club and I can't see him leaving until his contract runs out.

He seems to be a great leader and example to the younger players, however you would have to think that if we do sign a Griezmann or player of that ilk in the attacking positions this summer, coupled with the expectation that Rashford and Martial will step up more and that Rooney's decline will continue, then I think the writing will be on the wall for him this summer. Could well be the last chance the club get a decent fee for him too. Who he'd go to is a different story - he doesn't strike me as the kind of player who'd be happy to wind down his career in a mickey mouse league like China or even the MLS but who knows.

Premier League: Burnley 0-2 Manchester United - 23rd April 2017

Did well considering he's hardly played in months got his goal and probably should have had a penalty

Will need him to play some of these games to keep Rashford fresh

Premier League: Manchester United 1-1 Swansea City - 30th April 2017

His mobility and movement was bad.

He is nowherenear good enough for the first team now. A definite leaver at the end of the season

Really daft foul to give away leading to Swansea's goal. Sluggish performance again, struggle to see how he'd get into Everton's team next season let alone United's.

Was at the game and I think he is already mentally gone. I was surprised he scored the penalty.

Yeah i almost feel sorry for him if it wasn't for the 300k a week. All he really has left is that cross field pass.

His fitness levels much be so low. He's always taken time after injury to get back to his best and he's barely played any football in the last 2-3 months.

He should've had a 2nd open goal but hit it into Martial rather than roll it into the corner.

I don't think he's totally finished as a footballer, he just needs a new challenge and a new focus. A full pre season might do him some good.

Premier League: Arsenal 2-0 Manchester United - 7th May 2017

He's like the NBA players on Space Jam that have lost their powers. Nothing going for him anymore.

Yep he's done, it's sad to see him being so ineffective. He's not even doing the simple things well. There are certain players like Giggs, Sheringham and Totti who still look a class above well into their thirties but Rooney just looks totally done. I'm delighted for him that he broke the goal scoring record for us but I think he and Jose knows he's done. Wouldn't be surprised to see an announcement early in the summer that he wants to leave.

Still 2 years to run on his contract. Hard to see another PL team wanting him at this point, only US or China likely. With Galaxy previously wanting Ibra, Rooney might be the alternative for them.

I think he would still contribute at another Premier League club. He has a tally of 15+ goals and assists which is alright considering limited game time.

He's got 7 goals in 34 appearances. He's on 300k a week.

Rooney's time at Utd is up he's got to go. I don't see how he can contribute, to get the best out of him he has to play regularly but he's not good enough to play regularly for Utd anymore. He needs a fresh start, we all assumed that would be at Everton but does he need to drop further maybe a move to Celtic or cash in and go to American/China.
I don't see him going to China, I could see him going to MLS or Celtic.

I thought he did ok yesterday given the fact he's coming back from injury and has barely played since Xmas but I just don't see where he fits in to this team anymore.

There's no point pointing out the wages, we gave him that money when he was still arguably a world class player even if it was off the back of an ok season. I don't think anyone really expected the rapid decline we've seen in him over the last 2 1/2 seasons. Also, I don't think his wages are anywhere near what is actually reported and a lot of it based on things I've read are linked to sponsorship deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back