League Cup 0
Europa League 0

Previous Seasons

Wayne Rooney | Match Discussion thread 2015/16
Wayne Rooney | Match Discussion thread 2014/15
Wayne Rooney | Match Discussion thread 2013/14

Wayne Rooney | Match Performance Thread

Friendly: Manchester United 5-2 Galatasaray - 30th July 2016

He's been terrible in the first half. Poor for Galatasaray's opener as well.

Better in the second half.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Problem is to play in that 10 role he needs to have more to his game than goals... And he's just not got that. In terms of creativity for the most part it's not there.

Community Shield: Leicester City 1-2 Manchester United - 7th August 2016

He was sloppy.

Yeah he was and I'm still not sure how this partnership with Zlatan is going to work. It doesn't have the pace and then you add to that the wingers don't tend to stay wide.

Poor game. Touch abysmal. Partnership with Ibrahimovich not gonna work. Too slow.

His touch has been inconsistent for a while but today was worse than ever so often let us down in the final third in promising moments. Still early days in the season and we know from history that he needs games to get up to speed, hasn't played this role for a while either. Mourinho will fancy himself to get him back to his best though. Doubts must be creeping in for him though. I'm willing to give Rooney the benefit of the doubt for now but he must improve a lot otherwise it's time to bring Mkhitaryan or Rashford in, it's down to these 2 and others in fact to give Mourinho that decision though. Mkhitaryan good against Wigan but not done much since from what i've seen, hasn't been given a great chance though really, played with the second string on Wednesday. Maybe Mourinho feels he needs time to adapt so isn't rushing him.

Premier League: Bournemouth 1-3 Manchester United - 14th August 2016

Nice little header.

Was good to see. Thought 2nd half he improved, started quite poor in my view. I've always said about him that he needs games to get to his level. Touch was horrendous early on. Needs to improve further but promising signs in 2nd half.

Premier League: Manchester United 2-0 Southampton - 19th August 2016

Squawka: No English player has more Premier League assists since 2013/14 than Manchester United's Wayne Rooney (22).

Premier League: Hull City 0-1 Manchester United - 27th August 2016

The spell where he lost possession on three ocassions in the space of a minute was awful. He was okay in the second half. Top assist.

It was a really really good assist so for that I will give him absolute credit for.

But he's got to be dropped. Overall he is so slow and hinders our attacking play. He just isn't the right strike partner for Ibra and to be honest I think we should play Rashford behind Ibra with Mkhitaryan on the right and Martial on the left... Because that front 3 behind Ibra has pace, movement and they can interchange.

He was terrible really but yet again pops up with a bit of brilliance. That's 3 league games where he's been poor but a goal in one and an assist in each of the other 2. Was interesting that he was put on the left when Rashford came on, played better there and that's where the goal came from.

He was terrible really but yet again pops up with a bit of brilliance. That's 3 league games where he's been poor but a goal in one and an assist in each of the other 2. Was interesting that he was put on the left when Rashford came on, played better there and that's where the goal came from.

I wonder whether Jose has seen something in Rooney's crossing ability? Maybe he sees something there with his ability to work a bit of space and pick out a team mate? I know he's not blessed with pace but not every wide player is... Beckham never was but it's about delivering quality in to the box. That's two goals he's created already this season by crossing the ball!

Premier League: Watford 3-1 Manchester United - 18th September 2016

He had a shocker.

Is Rooney now bigger than the club? Being tried in about 3 different positions during a game in the hope that one of them works out and on one occasion, playing him on the left has worked out. Is he our best striker? No. Is he a midfielder? No. Is he a winger? No. If he plays anywhere, it should be as a 10 but is it good for the team? Is it good for Pogba? I don't think so? Does he work well with Ibrahimovic? No.

For the 6th time this season!

Not only has he got to be dropped but he's got to be sold. I think his poisonous to this team.

And the changing of his position every few minutes is laughable! It worries that Jose isn't showing conviction in his decisions.

I don't think he is poisonous in himself. I think he comes out and tried his best every game. However he is no longer good enough. It's one thing screwing up the balance of your team for Ronaldo at his best, maybe even Rooney at his best but sacrificing other good players for him in this form is disgraceful. Truth be told he has been like this for a couple of seasons but got away with it cos managers have supposedly played him out of position. He is a number 10 but we now have 2 or 3 better number 10s.

Mourinho has had no problem dropping big names at past clubs. Casillas at Real, Mata at Chelsea. Find the thought of it ridiculous but Rooney must have some power at United or someone is influencing the manager's decision and that goes for the previous 2 managers too. There is no way 3 or definitely the last 2 managers would continue with this. What's even stranger is the media refuse to criticise too, Savage talks some bollocks but at least he stood up at times today and called him out on things. The other commentator was blaming others when Rooney did something wrong. "Poor ball by Shaw" or was it that Rooney was too slow and then miscontrolled it for a throw in.

Rooney at his best was an absolute joy to watch and it pains me to watch him play like this, I don't want to hate him but more and more he's making me angry during games. He hasn't been good since 2012. He was poor last season but has been abysmal so far this season.

I said it last season, I don't think we can progress with him in the side. Like Roy Keane, Ruud van Nistelrooy and other great players we've had before him, we have to get rid to move forward.

He is poisonous because if I'm any of the following players:

Herrera
Mata
Mkhitaryan
Martial
Rashford
Lingard
Schneiderlin

I'm looking at the manager and thinking what on earth are you doing! Because in their own positions they are all better than Rooney yet he's the one who isn't ever dropped or subbed. He's poison to this team and all he does is whinge and shout at the refs.

He's got to go its that simple.

I partly agree. He is poisonous to the team but I don't think he is in himself. He just isn't good enough anymore. Almost fergies last act was to try to get rid of Rooney. Know his shit that Ferguson doesn't he. I agree though that better players than Rooney must be scratching their heads. Mobility and speed seem to be the way forward for the premier league and wee don't have it in Rooney.

I partly agree. He is poisonous to the team but I don't think he is in himself. He just isn't good enough anymore. Almost fergies last act was to try to get rid of Rooney. Know his shit that Ferguson doesn't he. I agree though that better players than Rooney must be scratching their heads. Mobility and speed seem to be the way forward for the premier league and wee don't have it in Rooney.

Oh I'm not saying he's a bad person and is bad in that way... But if I'm any other player in attack or midfield I'm mightily annoyed that he keeps his place all the time and is never subbed. And all he does out there is argue with officials. What kind of example is that setting the team? It's just not good enough and it's time he went. Like you say Fergie tried and that man knew a thing or two hey.

Makes me wonder if these rumors about him being involved in transfer targets etc in his contract were true... But not quite that but he's definitely got more power than any player I've seen at the club. Jose isn't a man to hesitate to drop a player who's not good enough and there's no way you can argue that he's good enough or has been for a few years.

I made a comment on twitter and someone said it was boring that I was criticising him again. I'm bored with talking about it every game and nothing changing. OK we played no better without him the other night but we're not going to make any progress by continuing with him. It's time to look to other players and different solutions. Mkhitaryan or Mata as a 10. Rashford with Ibra. A well balanced 3 in midfield. Whatever? Find solutions, don't continue with the same old problems.

Tbh I have just written on another post that I am beginning to come round to your way of thinking. There is something not right at the club and getting rid of Rooney is the start to putting it right.

I read the other day that Mkhitaryan wasn't happy that he's not playing in the 10 role?! Maybe that's just the press making stories as they like to do... But I could believe it. If that's where he wants to play and he's seeing this nonsense from Rooney! Jose keeping Rooney in the team is hurting us long term I'm sure of it. And I'm not a hater of Rooney. In fact over the years I've tried to defend him as much as possible. In his prime he was such a great player but those days are long gone now.

The thing is I have always wanted Rooney to succeed in the last few years because he has been a superb player but he's seemingly lost it. Over the years the likes of Giggs, Beckham and Scholes adapted to their new roles after losing a bit of something. However Rooney has lost a yard and he doesn't seem to be adapting too well in a withdrawn role. I have no doubt he can still produce moments of brilliance, but he is letting the team down at the moment and that's good enough for a captain. Maybe if he had Rashford or Martial running ahead of him, then that maybe okay because he can still pick a pass but with Ibra ahead of him, it's all very static and rigid. Right now, Mata or Mkhitryan should be in there but does Jose have the mettle to drop Rooney? Not so sure.

Why though? What is it that he has that others in our past haven't been immune to, Fergie tried to push him out like he had with others. I'm not sure whether Moyes had experience dealing with this sort of thing in the past but Van Gaal and Mourinho have both been ruthless in these situations in the past.

Seems nobody has the bottle to drop him. Same at international level too.

That may be true at International Level, but have the alternatives here at United (Mata/Mkhi/Herrera) been so impressive that Rooney absolutely has to be dropped? I don't think they have - albeit we have seen little of Mkhi.

Rooney has been poor for a long while but as the captain; as a leader (one of the few) and driver of the side, it is not a complete shock as to why he hasn't been dropped yet considering the alternatives.

For me, yes I would drop Rooney now. I'd give Mkhi a go at 10 - or play 3 in the middle. But I have to say, I'd be surprised if the outcome would be as alarmingly progressive as I'm reading many United fans feel dropping Rooney would be. There are big issues elsehwere in the side too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back