Wayne Rooney | Match Discussion thread 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looked really good in a free role in the first half and that's where he needs to play. He seems to be loving the pace and movement ahead of him so keep allowing him to float and influence the game from deeper if that's what is needed.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

He certainly put the work in during his injury - quite possibly the best shape he's been in this season and it's showing in his performances. Tired towards the end which is to be expected on the Wembley pitch and in that sort of game, but overall did very well again I thought.

Thought what he did better than anything else today was he led the team. In that free role I think it allows him to be that driving force and impact the game. At times he would be encouraging players whilst at others he'd give players a kick if he felt they needed it. I don't feel he does that or is able to do that when he's the main striker.

You could tell he really wants that FA Cup medal to add to his collection, very determined performance, a captain's performance. Had doubts whether he could play a midfield role, don't think he can play in a 2 to be honest but the role he's been playing since returning seems to be the position for him going forward.

Ooh no there's no way I would trust him to play in a two because he's not disciplined enough. He likes to roam around, track back but get forwards depending on what he feels is needed at certain times. That's why in a three he's got the freedom to get around but knowing there's two others to cover defensively.

West Ham United 3-2 Manchester United - 10th May 2016

Cross field pass x 100 do something else you idiot.

Harsh to blame Rooney when he's basically playing in midfield by himself. Schneiderlin and Herrera are non-existent. Rooney was involved in some of our better moments in the first half.

I thought he did OK. Not sure if we bring in the right people that he should be a automatic first choice but he did OK last night.

Bit late to the party on this but I thought he was very good. Martial aside he was our best player for me - only one who showed a bit of fight and looked like he played with Champions League football on the line. Whatever about his form this season, the rest of the players could take a leaf or two from his book in terms of attitude and will to win - bunch of pansies most of them.

Rooney has a big part to play in this team I have no doubt about that. His attitude and his hard work set him apart from the rest. OK he's not the player he was but he's still an experienced professional who works hard and puts it all in to the game. Would I have him as an automatic starter? No but in that deeper lying midfield position I think he can play a huge part.

Manchester United 3-1 AFC Bournemouth - 17th May 2016

Really good tonight. Give him time on the ball and he will cut you apart. Needs to do better when pressed though as he was at West Ham.

His form has been decent in 2016.

Fantastic team goal that! Started by Wayne and finished by him. Great play by Martial and the awareness of Rashford is class.

Didn't see the game tonight but all I read was that Rooney was on another level. To score and then be so involved in the other two goals says a lot.

His pass for Young was majestic. If Xavi or Messi or Iniesta make that pass it's the best thing ever to happen. That's how good it was. Never mind the fact he started that move and got forwards to get involved.

At one point this season I wrote him off. I didn't want to but it got to a point where I saw little choice. But in this new role that he himself seems to want to play I can really see him being a force next season. OK he's got a lot to learn about the role but I'm sure he can do it.

He was wonderful. I wouldn't say world class but he was good. Guess he can still contribute to the team.

No surprise any time he's looked decent in midfield it's against teams who are already on holiday.

His best games were against Palace Everton and Bournemouth all of whom were atrocious.

England 2-1 Australia - 27th May 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back