Wayne Rooney | Match Discussion thread 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aston Villa - 14/8/2015

Very poor performance. His touch and quality was diabolical.

Crap performance from him. He has not started this season well. His first touch has deteriorated beyond bad.

Terrible. Think we have to stick with him for Brugge though, usually a player that improves with more games. I'd like to see Hernandez get game time too mind.

One of his worst performances ever, and there have been a few. Can't afford for him to have his usual slow start to the season. I haven't kicked a ball for two months and my first touch would have been better! I dint understand how someone like Rooney can play like that

His low point is too low for a player of his quality. Need a lot more from him.

Club Brugge - 18/8/2015

Still not at his best but much better tonight, more involved, good runs, worked the channels well. As already said, does tend to improve the more he plays. Just wonder, if Van Gaal is looking for a second striker, is Rooney better there than as a #9? Then Januzaj or Hernandez play as the #9?

Newcastle United - 22/8/2015

Real worry now. Said it before, and think we might see him play behind Hernandez on Wednesday. Possible though that Fellaini starts behind him...

I thought he was okay in the first half, then wasn't involved in the second half until he played behind Hernandez. 6/10 performance, for me.

I don't think he was bad, just worried by lack of goals. Think we need to try him behind a striker, probably Hernandez. With us having a 2 goal advantage, Wednesday's a good time to try something different.

Weird one. Was ok in first half but second half pretty anonymous. Needs a goal. Quite bemused by form/fitness. Thought with the goals record in sight for both club and country and leading the United line he'd be fired up and flying at the start of the season

Useless, he's spending more time in midfield than 9. At times we have no one upfront ffs. He has played at lot of football since he was 16 he's peaked early and dropped off early.

Fergie knew it, Moyes bottled it and has been proved right.

Is relying on Rooney to score 20+ goals this season going to be our downfall? We need someone who does not go missing for large parts of the season.

He had lost pace and strength. He has no competition for his place. His touch has been terrible, he can trap it further than I can kick it. I actually think he was handed get out of jail free card last season being played in midfield. I honestly think his best days are behind him. We desperately need a cf. At that point Rooney can fight for his place as a number ten with several others. Tough call but one that will need to be made soon IMO.

We might be in for a season with our strikers that is similar to Chelsea's the season before last. It was pretty obvious before that season that they needed a striker or 2 to win the league and it didn't happen until the following summer when they brought Costa/Remy/Drogba in to replace Torres/Ba/Eto'o. I can't see us bringing anyone in now personally. Won't happen until next summer now unless someone becomes available in January.

I can't see what the point was of getting rid of rvp if there was no replacement. Even from a point of view of numbers we need to get somebody. Not really the required quality for united but maybe Charlie Austin is worth taking

Rooney's form is an issue, as is the attacking unit as a whole. There is no proper link between midfield and attack, we have two young players who will be inconsistent and Mata is less effective on the right in a 4-2-3-1.

Was Rooney's positional discipline poor against Newcastle?

His heatmap from Saturday:

2dwawpy.jpg

His heatmaps v Spurs (h) and Villa (a):

2mcbsb7.png

20913rl.png

How does Rooney compare against Costa and Aguero?

Costa's heatmaps against Swansea (h), City (a) and WBA (a).

1z14rh0.png

e191mf.png

24pkygk.png

Aguero's heatmaps against Chelsea (h) and Everton (a).

28tb3o3.png

23rjwcm.png

I thought so to be honest and have seen the team's average positions map and Rooney's position is deeper than Januzaj and the 2 wide players. To be honest I thought Hernandez was coming too deep aswell. It's not just a Rooney issue.

The link between the midfield and strikers is not so good. I think here is where Herrera would fit in well. Herrera on the right and mata in the no 10 role. This would give us a better balance I suppose.

Everybody in the media seems to blame the tactics for Rooney being shite. Whilst I agree we don't make a while lot of chances for the strikers it's obvious he's been declining for a while.

It seems fairly straight forward to me. We try to buy a quality number nine and Rooney fights for his place at nine or ten.

Club Brugge - 26/8/2015

Nice little finish for the first goal. Hopefully the goals set him on his way.

He looked decent today. Still feel he has lost that bit of pace and sharpness in front of the goal. We need to bring in a striker.

I am not happy with Rooney at all. He is becoming a massive issue to us. We need to buy a quality centre forward and make him fight for his place at 9 and 10. If he responds then great if not he gets dropped.

Shite and he's un-droppable. Tap-ins against Brugge aren't going to make him change. You can't tell me Hernandez is a poorer striker.

I don't really think Hernandez is the answer but at least he has a strikers instinct. I really think lvg is putting himself in a bad place with Rooney.

Looks like lvg has cornered himself by backing Rooney. We need a striker. And fast.

Southampton - 20th September 2015

He was poor again and was well of the pace for much of the game.

He is a definite weak link tbh. Didn't really see him do anything that Herrera can't do better.

Tbh I agree. I think in general there has been, over the years, too much Rooney bashing. His record speaks for itself. However I don't think he was particularly good last season but had the excuse he was played out of position. He has been the same this season so far too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back