Status
Not open for further replies.
He needs a run to get back into that striker's role. Certainly did provide more movement. Won a penalty too! Bit of a dive but can't remember either RvP or Falcao looking likely to win one.

Seems like Rooney has regained some of his flair and pace from his younger days by the way? Similarly to Valencia and Young, the 3 of them look to have refound their abilities to take players on.

Swansea City - 21/2/2015

Good performance. If we'd won I might have said he was excellent in fact.

Did you post that in the right thread? He was crap. Commentary on Rooney is always weird as well if something doesn't come off he's just unlucky.

Sunderland - 28/2/2015

He really does need to play as the lead striker. His movement at #9 is fantastic. It was no coincidence he was in the right place for the second.

Agree. His best 2 seasons have been as the main striker; 09-10 & 11-12. Hit and miss as a #10, "does a job" in midfield".

Van Gaal wants a 20 goal a season striker, I think Rooney could get 30 a season if played every game up there, obviously won't now but out of all our strikers he's the one i'd be most confident in firing us to a top 4 finish, in fact I think we could get 3rd if we played him as the main striker for the rest of the season.

He was pretty average up until the first goal, he didn't add anything the other strikers haven't. Anything is better than playing him in midfield and it was a top penalty.

Newcastle United - 4/3/2015

Really should have scored 1 at least. Great work in build up to the goal. Keep him upfront.

Worked well for the goal, chase things down and mistakes can happen. Fluffed his early chance though.

The difference when a forward puts in a shift, eh. His movement, sharpness and the ability to bring others into play was good. His miss from the chance created by Young was obviously poor and he probably would have scored if Di Maria's pass wasn't slightly behind him. Our best outfield player.

Our place in the top four would be more secure if Rooney had been used as a striker.

Agree with that last statement. If kept in the role he'll only improve as he does take time to re-adjust back to playing upfront. He's not really played as a '9' regularly since 09-10 so it will take time.

Looks such a threat as a 9. Think I forgot how good he was up there in 09-10 in particular. At the time he was unplayable. If he got near that level for us now it would make a huge difference.

Arsenal - 9/3/2015

Did he play well in the first half, but quiet in the second?

Tottenham Hotspur - 15/3/2015

Makes such a difference. Where would we be if he'd been upfront all season? 4 goals in last 4 now right? He's looking for space, looking for the ball, running on to crosses/passes instead of expecting everything to come right to him. Playing right up top and still comes deep to spray his usual long diagonals out wide and make crucial defensive contributions. The goal was vintage Rooney. Superb.

The goal reminded me of the Rooney 10 years ago where he just bulldozed past players. I honestly thought when he picked the ball up he was going to lose it.

Liverpool - 22/3/2015

Poor today. There was talk of an injury before the match.

He was poor. Quality missing in the first half. General play was better in the second half. The penalty miss summed up his performance.

Typical performance in Liverpool, awful. He should have let Mata take the penalty.

Aston Villa - 4/4/2015

Great goal. He was average prior to his goal.

He spent most of the match thinking of the penalty that wasn't given I think. Couldn't forget about it. World class goal. Brilliant at the drop ball and in build up for the 3rd.

I was all ready to say how rubbish he was then he goes and does that. The bastard.

I was actually talking to someone about him on Twitter and he said "even when playing bad he's capable of doing something brilliant"... 5 mins later... he did.

Manchester City - 12/4/2015

Just watched MNF analysis. Interesting from GNev on Rooney silently dominating City's CB's. Talked about how Van Gaal has managed to make him a more positionally disciplined striker. Some might say he was just anonymous but interesting to hear a different opinion and GNev made a convincing argument to be honest. No longer coming deep looking for action, keeping opposition CB's on their toes instead. Van Gaal has mentioned a lot that he wants his striker(s) to do more than score goals, I think Rooney is doing what is asked of him, this is a different Rooney now to the one we've had for over 10 years, he's really bought into Van Gaal's ideas I think and will do everything that's asked of him.

Chelsea - 18/4/15

I think he should have buried his early chance, I felt like an idiot celebrating. He's no midfielder though his touch and passing just isn't incisive enough.

Thought he did alright but missed upfront. Terry's post match comments summed it up. Not many mentioning midfield signings anymore, which is testament to how the midfielders have done recently but we're seriously under stocked there.

I thought he was very good. As much as I've been lauding how well we've been doing with him up top, ideally you would want two Rooneys in the side - one being deeper as well. If we can get a good, mobile striker this summer I can see Rooney playing as a 10 next season.

Everton - 26/4/2015

Another silently dominating game again...

He was quiet, alright. He was okay when involved. I thought he was our third best player behind Smalling and Shaw.

West Brom - 2/5/2015

He played in midfield. I don't need to say any more.

Crystal Palace - 9/5/2015

I hope the injury was the reason he couldn't jump higher for that header.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back