1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wayne Rooney at Everton 2017/18

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by Sideshow Bob, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Sideshow Bob

Sideshow Bob Avatar & New Members Forum Mod

2. Berba_God

Berba_God Well-Known Member

Oh wow. Don't know how I feel about it, now that it's happened. No doubt a United legend.

3. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

It's the right thing for Utd and Rooney he needed a fresh challenge and this might help bring the best out of him again.

4. maxt7

maxt7 Well-Known Member

All the other club icons and heroes had the advantage of being moved on by Sir Alex before their game started to decline. Rooney over the last 4 years has suffered because the club been so unstable leadership wise. He has became a target from some fans and the press because he hasn't been the Wayne Rooney from before. Which is out of line.

He could and maybe should have gone earlier but it's not his fault he didn't. his achieved records and standards that we might not ever see again. Unplayable and unstoppable in his prime and nothing but a club legend in my eyes. hope he does well at Everton and maybe breaks back into that England set up.

5. JSNFRMN_MUFC

JSNFRMN_MUFC Moderator

Absolutely the right time to move on, my personal opinion is that it should have happened before and think it would have in 2013 if SAF had stayed on, but simply had to happen this summer. He was a solid player between 2013-2016 but rapid decline since MOTM performance in FA Cup final. For us to improve I think we had to move on and maybe this will re-focus Rooney himself too.

6. Sideshow Bob

What will be considered a good season for Rooney?

7. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

I think in all comps 40+ appearences and 10-15 goals would be a good season for Rooney it would be kind of on par with what he's delivered at Utd recently but it all depends on where he plays if he's playing as a number 10 he needs to be getting into double digits.

The big thing for Everton is they're doing all this spending but does anyone think they'll actually finish higher than 7th next season?

8. SuperRash

SuperRash Moderator

Nope. I think 7th is a good bet but it all depends how their signings fit in. They are good signings but they are not oh my god they are top four challengers now good. They have to replace Lukaku's goals because he was a real bully against the smaller teams and that's where they need to pick up the majority of their points to better 7th.

As for Rooney I agree with you jsp, I think 15 goals would be considered a good season. He is pretty immobile now but if he gets a good run of games the Rooney of old cause resurface to a degree. It's really hard to tell but I do hope he recovers some of his old magic because his decline up to now has been quite sad to see. And I hope he scores against us at OT, in a 5-1 defeat for Everton of course! :p

9. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned every goal he scores against us gets taken off his Utd total so we can give Bobby his record back. Haha

Unless they can put him on some sort of intensive fitness programme that gives him back his speed and his endurance I don't see how the magic can come back as that intensity and aggression he had in his game because he used to bomb about at 100mph for 90 minutes isn't there anymore. I'm sure he'll still get the occasional great goal like he did with us but he won't get the break away goals he used to get or the one vs ones.

I really hope it works out for him and if he could win a cup or something at Everton to end their trophy drought that would be nice as long as they don't beat Utd.

10. Sideshow Bob

11. SuperRash

SuperRash Moderator

What was the goalkeeper doing? About a mile off his line.

Good strike though.

12. JSNFRMN_MUFC

JSNFRMN_MUFC Moderator

Depends where he plays. If he's playing 9 or 10 he'll be expected to score 10-15, if he's playing midfield he'll just need to be solid as expectations of him playing in that position will be low, more expected of him as a forward.

13. Sideshow Bob

Pre Season 2017/18: Genk 1-1 Everton - 22nd July 2017

14. Sideshow Bob

Premier League: Everton 1-0 Stoke City - 12th August 2017