Wayne Rooney at DC United

Sideshow Bob

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A great player! It's a shame he's peaked so early. MLS is a great opportunity to keep going for another couple of years and earn some fat paychecks ahead of retirement. Best of luck!

Think because he's had such a long period of decline over the last say 5 years people forget how good he was at his best.

For 10 years Rooney was a world class striker who would've got into any team in the world played in 3 CL finals won 5 league titles and broke both his club and countries scoring records that had existed for around 50 years.

I think his problem is he's always judged against Ronaldo because from 04-06 they were equals if anything Rooney was the better player but after the world cup in 2006 Ronaldo just went to another level whereas Rooney just maintained the level he was at.

Like you say he's gone for a bit of a pay day a year or two of that then retirement awaits.

weird, for uniteds all time scorer etc, I don't care for him at all.

I think the way he handled his 2 contract negotiations soured his relationship with the fans.

Give it a few years and let the dust settle and people will forget about all that nonsense like they did with Keano

First goal.

What just happened? Rooney pumped a hopeful ball into the box and it happened to fall on someone’s head. The tracking back and tackle was 20 year old Rooneyesque though. That was proper hunger!

don't know the relevance of the game, but why was the goalie up at 2 - 2?

Great tracking back by Rooney

don't know the relevance of the game, but why was the goalie up at 2 - 2?

Great tracking back by Rooney
Think I saw that DC would have been out of the play off picture if they had drawn so just sent the keeper up. Don’t know exactly how to MLS works standings wise to be honest.

Really enjoyed that! What I'd give to have a young Rooney in this United side - Sanchez flatters to deceive in his impersonation!

Think DC are way behind in league so take make playoffs draws are no good they need wins.

There 9 points off of the play offs with 5 games in hand. However they’re bottom of he division (played 3 less than anyone else) and only average a point a game. So don’t expect them to make up that 9 point gap even with 5 in hand.

That was an incredible tackle and yeah basically he's pumped the ball back in to the box in hope. Fair play.

Looks like he’s loving life in the MLS.

Remember when he actually chipped a keeper like that?

Swear it was about 2005 and he’s been trying it ever since just can’t quite pull it off.

That Boro lob was miles out as well he scored some mad goals in those early years seemed to tone down the wonder strikes a bit after that.

Last lob I remember was the one vs Watford in 2007 but that was a bouncing ball not sure that really counts.

You really don't see players lob the keeper off the floor anymore seems to be one of those goals that's become very rare like players rounding keepers and scoring into empty goals.

Think it’s a generation thing. Players our age saw Cantona Bergkamp and Le Tissier lobbing the keeper like that as a youngster or rounding him. Players say 23 now saw Henry cutting in and putting it past the keeper. Signature Henry.

The next generation will all be knuckle balling a free kick like Ronaldo instead of placing it like Beckham.

whatever happened to rounding the keeper and missing from 3 yards a la Heskey :)

I think it's partly down to the modern keepers being more agile than they were previously means they're harder to chip so players don't really attempt it.

As for rounding keepers the modern player tends to draw the keeper out and go for the dink over him rather than go round him and I think maybe the modern keeper doesn't rush out as quickly giving you that chance.

Hell of a goal glad to see he's doing well out there.

Scored a fantastic goal from inside his own half yesterday.

Sorry I don’t know how to embed videos but that’s from Rio’s twitter. Brilliant strike.

not a single player in that squad who’s anywhere near Rooney in his prime.

Tbf there aren’t many players in the world that are near Rooney in his prime.

Harry Kane is probably the best out and out forward in the league but you wouldn’t take him over a 24 year old Rooney.

I miss Rooney.
Yep. Obviously we miss his talent but we miss someone with his attitude and desire to win. The likes of Pogba and Martial could learn a lot from watching some old Rooney videos. He had his detractors because of certain things but he was a genuine world class talent and that half way goal shows he still has those flickers of genius in his locker.

Tbf there aren’t many players in the world that are near Rooney in his prime.

Harry Kane is probably the best out and out forward in the league but you wouldn’t take him over a 24 year old Rooney.

Yeah was such a shame he dropped off in the way he did because he was so good but even having players who worked as hard as he did and sacrificed themselves for others like he did in his prime would be a start.

Try and not be biased but who’d you rather have peak Rooney or peak Aguero?

I’d probably just take prime Aguero. For me he’s been the second best striker to grace the premier league behind Henry. I know the stats say different and cantina and shearer are in the discussion but I feel Aguero would be loved a lot more if he was in one of the fashionable sides and not at City.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back