1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wales interview Giggs & Bellamy

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by jsp, Jan 12, 2018.

1. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

2. JSNFRMN_MUFC

JSNFRMN_MUFC Moderator

Lots of Welsh fans reluctant as he didn't turn up for friendlies and he'll likely receive stick from sections of the fanbase because of this. People are writing him off but people including myself had major doubts over Coleman, even after a few games, he lost 6-1 to Serbia. Hughes and Speed were equally as inexperienced as Giggs (and Bellamy). The one experienced manager we've had in my lifetime has been an awful experience (Toshack). It might work, it might not but i'd prefer us to give a young manager a go over someone like Pulis.

3. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

Yeah always a tough one but he'd argue he didn't play the friendlies to try and make sure he was fit for the competitive games and he also missed a lot of games for Utd in his 20's because of his hamstring issues. He got 64 caps for Wales I did a quick check Hughes & Rush were both low 70's & Bellamy was 78.

I think Bale would like having him as manager not for coaching reasons but it would help take some of the focus pressure of him as he wouldn't be the only superstar name involved in the setup.

4. JSNFRMN_MUFC

JSNFRMN_MUFC Moderator

The way I see it, he could have easily gone to play for England, having played for the U16s team, but he chose Wales because despite what people say he loves the country of his birth.

5. jsp

jsp Well-Known Member

That isn’t true Giggs could not play for England.

Born in Wales to Welsh parents with Welsh parents so he had no English relatives to claim English nationality, just grew up in England because his parents moved when he was very young.

He played for England schoolboys because at that level you play for the country you live in not one you were born in.

6. JSNFRMN_MUFC

JSNFRMN_MUFC Moderator

Ah ok, I think the rule on that has changed now though. Giggs in 2002 "I'd rather go through my career without qualifying for a major championship than play for a country where I wasn't born or which my parents didn't have anything to do with".