Vidic Agrees Long-Term Deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scholesy18

United chief executive David Gill has confirmed the club have agreed terms to extend Nemanja Vidic's contract.

Speaking exclusively to MUTV's Stewart Gardner, Gill said: "There was a lot of speculation about Nemanja's future, but in my view it's been the media drumming some old stories because they certainly didn't come out of the Manchester United camp and I'm confident they didn't come out of Nemanja's camp.

"We sat down with Nemanja and his advisor at the end of last season and started discussions. They broke up when Nemanja went away to the World Cup, but resumed when Serbia were knocked out and I'm very pleased to confirm that we agreed terms with Nemanja three or four weeks ago on a new long-term deal with the club.

"It's yet to be signed - the paperwork is now being sorted by our lawyers and being checked by Nemanja's advisors. He's still away on holiday but the plan is that when he gets back the papers will be signed. We've shaken hands on it and we're confident it will all be signed and sealed in early August.

"It's great news for Manchester United and great news for Nemanja and the fans."

Get in! Superb news, the world's best defender is staying at United!

Fantastic!

Of course I never believed any of the rumours for 1 moment

I'm not sure it's a case of being surprised, I think it's more elation that we've tied down arguably the best defender in world football, and one who has been of crucial importance in our recent success. Personally, I didn't believe the stories linking him with a move, but with massive cash being splashed around these days, who knows?

It's 99% sure that Wazza will retire at this club, that doesn't mean I'm not gonna be bouncing off the walla when he signs a new deal.

Of course, a slight note of caution in that signing a deal doesn't always guarantee a player remaining at the club, but feck it, it's still great news.

I don't think him signing a new contract has anything to do with money, if it was about money then i'm pretty sure he would have got a lot more elsewhere.

Interesting to hear Smalling say this.
“I like to bring out the ball, like Rio does. But when I was at Maidstone, I had to grind out some games and Vidic is obviously one of the stand-out defenders, physically. Hopefully I’ve got that in my locker, too."
A mix of Rio and Vida? Think he needs to build out a bit more before he's as physical as Vida, definitely got the aerial ability though. Threat at corners?

By signing him to a long term deal that pays him more, United are trying to increase the defenders market value in hopes of getting more money from his impending sale.

I'm here all week. :p

Official. Link to official site - bit.ly

Nemanja Vidic has signed a new four-year contract, keeping him at Manchester United until at least June 2014.

The news comes four weeks after the club issued a statement making public both its and the player's desire for Vidic to remain at Old Trafford. At that stage, however, the deal was merely agreed. The Serbian defender has now put pen to paper to cement his long-term future.

Vidic, who has made 188 appearances since joining United in January 2006, told ManUtd.com: "I am very happy to sign this contract. I came to this club when I was young and have developed enormously with the help of the manager, coaching staff and my team-mates.

"During my time here we have had a lot of success and I look forward to continuing that success in the coming seasons."

Reds boss Sir Alex Ferguson told ManUtd.com he was delighted Nemanja had committed his future to the club.

"This kills all the silly speculation over the past few months," he said. "Nemanja has developed into one of the best centre-halves in Europe and we are pleased he will be here for many years to come."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back