0​
0​
0​
0​

Previous Seasons
Victor Lindelof | Match Discussion thread 2017/18

Premier League: Manchester United 1-2 Crystal Palace - 24th August 2019

Poor for Palace’s first goal.

He will lose his spot to Smalling at some point in the season.

That's pretty frightening it must be said. He was meant to be the partner for Maguire.

Tuenzebe seems to be next in line been the only CB on the bench for the last 3 games.

Was very poor you just can’t lose those headers it’s embarrassing don’t care how good you are on the ball if you can’t handle that situation you won’t last long and Palace aren’t the first team to target him with long balls.

Tuenzebe seems to be next in line been the only CB on the bench for the last 3 games
I actually think they should bring him in. I know it's early days but I think get that partnership developing with Maguire.

I wouldn't be against it. I think tuanzebe has a similar style to lindelof but stronger and faster. I a totally think United Fan's would take a bad season if it meant cultivating a different culture and partnerships. So introducing the like of tuanzebe, gomes, garner is essential to that. It's a difficult call to make and one I am not sure Ole will make.

I actually think they should bring him in. I know it's early days but I think get that partnership developing with Maguire.

It seems that Smalling, Jones and Rojo are all out of the frame currently all fit but haven’t made a single match day squad.

I think it’s to early to make the change it’s a new partnership so mistakes will happen but Lindelof needs to work with the coaches to stop this happening. That header cannot be lost and Maguire needs to make sure that in the 1 in 100 times it is he’s covering it.

That mistake to me was the sort of mistake made when a team isn’t switched on defensively probably because for 30 minutes they’d done no defending.

That header cannot be lost
I like Lindelof and there's a lot he does to like. But he's easily bullied and the header wasn't the only time he was exposed. I do worry about that going forwards.

If I am honest I never saw him as a better defender than smalling and even Jones. He is just better on the ball than smalling and more reliable than jones.

If I am honest I never saw him as a better defender than smalling and even Jones. He is just better on the ball than smalling and more reliable than jones.
I think actually that's a fair point. He's slightly better than both as an all around defender. Trouble was last year we were comparing him to utter rubbish.

I felt last season was a step in the right direction but he was part of our worst defence in PL history so he still had plenty to prove.

It’s a new partnership early days but it hasn’t looked overly impressive so far but need to stick with it I see no point chopping and changing this early if things don’t improve then things have to change but let’s judge it after 10 games not 3.

Premier League: Southampton 1-1 Manchester United - 31st August 2019

Letting the second best centre back leave will prove to be a costly error.

My instant reaction was his fault but he was a sitting duck had no chance and at least challenged for the ball just got over powered.

It’s a weakness in his game and teams will play on it he needs to learn how to deal with it.

I think if smalling was playing that goal doesn't happen. Even if he couldn't get a clear head on it he would have messed him about enough to stop the goal. I have never really been sold on lindelof to be honest

I think if smalling was playing that goal doesn't happen. Even if he couldn't get a clear head on it he would have messed him about enough to stop the goal. I have never really been sold on lindelof to be honest

True but if Smalling played would we have been able to play out when put under pressure by that Southampton attack.

I’m not sold on Lindelof I’m sceptical of him but Smalling needed to move on others deserve the chance to prove they’re up to the job.

If Tuenzebe does well in Europa league games wouldn’t be surprised to see him come into the first team for Lindelof if he keeps being targeted.

We’d let plenty of stupid goals in with Smalling in the side so let’s not make it out like he was a superstar there’s a reason he’s on loan no one else will buy him without trying him first.

I am not making him out to be a superstar, just better than the guys we have other than Maguire. I would be happy to see tuanzebe given an opportunity

Yeah but he’s the past things have to change if he can go get him out same goes for Jones & Rojo even Bailly.

That defence basically needs a CB every summer for the next 2-3 years until we’ve changed the lot and got ourselves 3 or 4 reliable ones. Hopefully Tuenzebe steps up to be one of them.

I partly agree. I haven't got a problem with ultimately getting rid of smalling but I am not sure now was the time. Tbe problem is the rest are that bad nobody will have them

I partly agree. I haven't got a problem with ultimately getting rid of smalling but I am not sure now was the time. Tbe problem is the rest are that bad nobody will have them

He wouldn’t have been my first out but if he’s the only one offers come in for then let him go.

Jones should never have got another contract he’s far to comfortable at Utd should have just cut losses on him.

Still hope Rojo goes but he was on the bench today which makes me think he’s staying but who knows

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Premier League: Manchester United 1-0 Leicester City - 14th September 2019

Bad mistake early in the game, but played well for the rest of the game.

Europa League: AZ Alkmaar 0-0 Manchester United - 3rd October 2019

I thought he was United’s best player on the night.

Premier League: AFC Bournemouth 1-0 Manchester United - 2nd November 2019

Smalling is better than Lindelof.

Can’t really argue with that in truth. I never really got why we would let Smalling go but hey ho that’s the cards we’ve been dealt. Lindelof looks better in a 3 IMO but in a 2 he can be look very average.

Premier League: AFC Bournemouth 1-0 Manchester United - 2nd November 2019

Smalling is better than Lindelof.

Smalling had 8 seasons to prove himself as a Manchester United player and failed every time. Get over it.

Smalling had 8 seasons to prove himself as a Manchester United player and failed every time. Get over it.
He's not a lead CB but alongside Maguire? And as a natural right footer with AWB on his right? I think you'd see a much improved player.

And also didn’t too bad in Fergie’s latter years. Not the perfect defender but think he’s criminally underrated.

Smalling is criminally overrated in these parts. For a defender like him and Jones to make so many last ditch challenges isn’t the sign of a good defender it’s the sign of someone that can’t read the game and isn’t a great defender.

Come on United have to move forward from mediocrity and Smalling is literally the personification of mediocrity. Yeah he isn’t too bad but he’s also not too good. He’s had his chance to prove himself as a world class defender and failed. Move on. Rio Vidic Wes Brown or Smalling? Smalling isn’t on par with Wes Brown and therefore isn’t good enough to be a United defender so you try the next in-line not harp back to a player who was quite frankly okay on his good days and terrible on his bad ones.

I guess we were just watching a different player. In the last couple of years I think people have been blaming the defence for the inadequacies of the midfield. That they had to drop too deep too help them. In my opinion it was the other way round, the defence was left exposed by a poor midfield. For me that hasn't changed much.

If the defence wasn’t a problem there’d be teams other than Everton Wolves and Roma in for our players and they wouldn’t be so difficult to shift. Teams knowing they were available would jump in an instant to take them on permanent deals if they were these great defensive players people are making them out to be.

We had to move on he’d proven himself to be a good but not a great defender utd need great defenders!

The fact he went shows he’s got talent because someone actually wanted him as far as we know there were zero offers for Jones and Utd priced Rojo out of a move to Everton and the less said about Bailly the better.

As for Lindelof never been fully convinced by him never understood why people rate him highly thought he’s done ok but he has a weakness that is exposed time after time in this league.

I felt he deserved a season alongside Maguire before we make the call on him.

Anyway it’s easy to point fingers at the defence but it’s still one of the best defensive records in the league and really our bigger issue is the other end of the pitch for years now we’ve not scored anywhere near enough goals. Scoring lots of goals doesn’t half take the pressure off a defence because the way the game is now it’s pretty hard to keep clean sheets.

Things haven't changed for a couple of years. I don't think our defensive record was particularly bad before but we didn't score or create enough goals. I am not convinced Maguire and lindelof are any better than smalling. We have spent around 110 million I think to not replace smalling with anything significantly better, if better at all, and ignored the major issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
or Log in using
Don't have an account? Register now
Back